Thread: SHO dirty oil

SHO dirty oil

Anyone else have the oil in their SHO get pretty dirty earlier than expected? Mine has 80 hours on it so it's only been 60 since I changed it and when I checked it the other day it looked pretty dirty on the stick.

I'm changing it next week anyway since I like to do it yearly but I was just curious if it's typical

2. Member
    YES, 80 or 90 hours pretty dirty, started changing the oil every 50 to 60 hours, yes some times that would be twice in one season, I don't care what you say about the 100 hour service, You can't go wrong with changing your oil to soon or to much. Motor with clean oil is a happy a motor. , Same thing with the lower unit oil, twice a season, small price to pay, better than the cost of a major repair.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassNutt1 View Post
    YES, 80 or 90 hours pretty dirty, started changing the oil every 50 to 60 hours, yes some times that would be twice in one season, I don't care what you say about the 100 hour service, You can't go wrong with changing your oil to soon or to much. Motor with clean oil is a happy a motor. , Same thing with the lower unit oil, twice a season, small price to pay, better than the cost of a major repair.
    Wow,.that makes too much sense! Why people would leave dirty oil in a engine they paid close to 20k for is beyond me. Most of my diesels get changed before the recommended service and the oil actually looks good, if you keep a engine clean inside from day one you won't have dirt and contaminant issues down the road. this is especially important with a overhead cam engine. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    It's a SHO, no need to change oil when your motor makes it faster than you can pump it out.

My SHO has had water and fuel in the oil but never dirt.

Best thing you can do is send the oil off for analysis.

Changing oil for the sake of changing oil is a waste IMO and just guessing.

5. Member
    My motor hasn’t made oil since about 8 hours.

I didnt know if anyone was seeing the same thing I am or not. Thought it could be partly from idling a lot during the summer scanning

6. Member
    They do tend to get dirty quick. I'm sure the high rpms have something to do with it. I will change mine every 50 hrs or so. As said above, oil is the life of these motors.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassNutt1 View Post
    That’s the way I look at it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    I might be joining the 50 hour bunch after changing the oil today. It was DIRTY.

9. bullyfish
    I checked mine the other day 65 hours on the oil it looks great. Every time I change the oil it looks good if you guys want to give your money away go for it l bet Yamaha loves you guys

10. Member
    The oil will get dirty pretty quick due to no air filters on the intake . That’s the nature of the beast there . So some will get dirty quicker than others due to the area or time of the year your running the engine. If its real dirty I’d change it .