Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Pole Fluid Change Before Gum

I have heard about the “Green Marine” fluid gumming up and causing issues.

1. At what age does this breakdown occur?
    2. What is the best substitute, specifically?
    3. Is there a good procedure to make sure you got all of the old stuff out as mixing these fluids usually isn’t good on pumps?

Thanks!
    I have a boat.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    you should always use green marine and change your fluid once a year to every other year its good preventative maintenance. Those people who are having gumming issues most likely haven't changed there fluid in years and years. You can take pumps off reserviors drain fluid inspect screens bolt back up and add new fluid.

3. Member
    My fluid was right at a year old and already looked terrible. Would definitely recommend every year..
    2005 pro team 185
    2005 opti 115
    21” spitfire x7
    Bobs machine 6" action hydro jackplate
    8’ power pole blades

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I personally change mine every other year and it has never looked gummy.

5. Member
    Always so much good information on here. I really hadn't thought about changing the fluid. My poles are 2 yrs old so need to make a trip to bps for a quart of green marine
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

6. Member
    Just did mine, the previous owner bought the pole in 2015 I'd guess it wasn't changed since then. The consistency was that of thick pudding, pole wouldn't run, screens were completely gunked up. I bled the lines cleaned the reservoir and bam it works like new again. It's a very simple process honestly, I'll probably change it every other year now.

7. Member
    You can say i did my first fluid change today. I blew a line on the hydraulic cylinder. Line came right out of the fitting. I didnt have a spare ferrule and could not get the old one over the blue line. So as I wanted to go fishing I just took the entire arm off. Since I have to lower it to get it inside I felt it was easier to just take it off and not have to deal with trying to get it inside when I got back.

So I might as well just do a full fluid change after in order a few furrels, might pay to have a few spares.

8. Member
    Lubricated bushings, tightened all bolts and changed fluid. Was easy and didn't take much time to do.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

9. mikesxpress
    This won't gum up and lasts for multiple years.
    Lube King LU52322G AW ISO 32 Hydraulic Fluid
    Do a internet search for it in a 2 gallon jug.
    This is what was originally specified for the poles/pumps. 10wt/ISO 32 Hydraulic Fluid

Or you can get the "Green" fluid for $12.95 a quart. Made from oil seed (most likely Rape seed). Note: It says it's "biodegradable".
    Oil seed fluids exhibit poorer oxidation resistance than mineral oils. Seed oil (natural esters) react with oxygen in a different way than mineral oils do. Instead of forming acids and then sludge, like mineral oils, natural esters will polymerize, or form a gel when they are at the end stage of their oxidation reaction. That goo you saw was the end of life for the Green fluid not moisture condensation.

From PP site:
    I need more hydraulic fluid. Where can I purchase your hydraulic fluid?
    We suggest you use Green Marine which is a non-toxic and biodegradable fluid. Green Marine can be purchased through any of our authorized dealers or here on our website As an alternative, any ISO32 hydraulic fluid or SAE10 oil can be used

Some varied descriptions on the internet say the Green fluid can be used in other marine hyd systems such as jack plates and steering. NOT!!!!

Bob's Jack plate takes 20W non detergent oil. You can get that at Tractor Supply. 2 gallons for less than $20.00. Or you can get a quart from Bob's for $10.00.

Just trying to save you guys some grief and a few bucks.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-18-2019 at 07:10 AM.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    From a conservation standpoint we recommend EVERYONE use Green Marine , however this can be used as pointed out by Mike. While we dont agree with it from a conservation standpoint, he is not wrong.

11. mikesxpress
    I'm providing my dino oil solution based on mechanical/fluid engineering principles. As Kevin indicated, I am not addressing any environmental concerns. I'm carrying 50 gallons of fuel and the 2 stroke guys also carry 2.5 gallons of oil. I opt for less maitence cycles.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    You can say i did my first fluid change today. I blew a line on the hydraulic cylinder. Line came right out of the fitting. I didnt have a spare ferrule and could not get the old one over the blue line. So as I wanted to go fishing I just took the entire arm off. Since I have to lower it to get it inside I felt it was easier to just take it off and not have to deal with trying to get it inside when I got back.

So I might as well just do a full fluid change after in order a few furrels, might pay to have a few spares.
    Were you at my house last night??????? Had the very same issue, the up line blew out of the fitting, made a mess! Guess the old power pole was telling me I needed to change the fluid....LOL

Reviving this thread with additional questions. I mounted my pump in a hard to get to area and I don't want to remove just to change the oil. can I use an oil pump to siphon it out of the reservoir and then refill? Or, do I need to get the oil out of the lines as well and if so how?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    we like to pull the reserviors off the pumps and check the screens , clean if necessary. If it appears you dont have the "gunk" and can look in and see screens look pretty clean you can just drain and refill with fresh green marine. With the poles down and lines disconnected you can manually push up the poles to force the majority of fluid from the lines, be sure they are in a container with a rag wrapped around top. Best to have a helper holding the bottle. If you dont want to drain the lines you will be ok.

15. Member
    Along those lines (pun intended), what about the fluid in the lines and the cylinder? Seems like it would be good to somehow flush or purge the system to get a more complete oil change done.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Along those lines (pun intended), what about the fluid in the lines and the cylinder? Seems like it would be good to somehow flush or purge the system to get a more complete oil change done.
    my comment above addresses how to purge the cylinder and lines.

17. Scraps
    EEK, I'm into season four and haven't changed. I am low so a good time to change fluid.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    my comment above addresses how to purge the cylinder and lines.
    I'm an idiot, totally missed that yesterday. Thanks.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

19. mikesxpress
    I updated my post on the PP dino oil as a picture was missing and True Value now only carries it in 5 gallon pails. Most farm equipment supply stores should have it. I have a set of Gen1 PP's from 2009 and they have only been fed this is 10w ISO 32 oil. 10 years and three oil changes. My poles perform just like they did in 2009. Only service work done other than the oil changes was warranty replacement of worn spikes and reservoir caps replacement in 2017.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-18-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Had gum issues with one of my Sportsman Series pumps and took it out, drained and cleaned and refilled. Simple enough...it SEEMED. Now the pole will leak down after a few days and I cant get it to stop. I've removed the pump time and again, tightened what I thought could be loose and now the other pump is gummed up. I'm thinking of removing them altogether. These came on a "new to me" boat and I've had nothing but trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast