Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Bobby which fluid are you using? How old are the pumps?

Using ISO 32 and had one pump replaced by Power Pole due to leakage. I think it has "Monster" something on it. I'm not well versed on these. They are older models I believe. I will look closer at them when I get home to be more informative. I'm fairly certain that these have not been maintained well by the previous owner, from the condition of the rest of the boat when I bought it. They worked fine for a few months when I purchased it last year tho.

3. mikesxpress
    PP will rebuild/swap out for rebuilt pumps. May be your best option.

4. Member
    Do anybody know of any YouTube videos to help you change this fluid the proper way never have done it before but thinking about doing it this year and want to do it correctly

5. Member
    So the fluid in the lines can stay or will it run out after you take the lines off the pumps? Thanks for all your help sir.

6. mikesxpress
    Johnny, PP can provide a detailed process for servicing your particular poles/pumps/reservoir. Just request the .pdf documents for your serial numbers.

IMO, if you have the plant based "green" fluid, that is one of the primary causes of PP failures. It's life span is very short as compared to the originally specified (and is still listed) ISO 32 fluid that PP's came with when they were first produced. You will not see clumps/PP snot in your system with the petroleum based oil. Getting all of that "green" fluid out of a system is a huge PIA, but it can be done. I have helped multiple guys remove this stuff and switch over to ISO 32. Here are a few need to know things when making the switch:
    1. Get your pumps/lines to pump/power to pump all up out of the service well and on deck where you can address the reservoir easily. You will be running and refilling the reservoir multiple times to get all the PP snot out.
    2. NEVER rub the mutiple pump filter screens with anything. The micron level on these screens is so small that contact just forces debris inside and you increase the chances of pump failure.
    3. Have 3+ quarts of ISO 32 available. In order to completely flush the system you will need to dump the reservoir multiple times.
    4. For systems that are more than 5 years old I suggest replacement of the reservoir caps. These are made by Parker Hannifin, a major hydraulics manufacturer. I get mine from a local hydraulics repair shop for a couple bucks each. These caps are your ventilation for the reservoir and if the filter inside the cap is plugged or the cap is cracked (over tightened causes this) then it affects system operation.

My 2009 poles and pumps have been in use for over 10 years now with three ISO 32 fluid changes taking place during that time. With the last change at 3 years I could see no particulates (I believe all system wear items are now stable). I will move my oil changes out to 4 years.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 10-03-2019 at 10:09 AM.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the info and help . I really do appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12