Thread: X19 set up help

X19 set up help

I just got a 2015 X19 with 175 hpdi. First trip out by myself chinewalk was so bad I couldn’t control it above 60. I could get 63mph and 5600 rpms. If I slowed down to stop chinewalk 58 to 60 it would porpoise. Trimming down to stop the porpoise I could only get 56 to 58 mph. I got home and measured prop to pad and it was 5 3/8” so I raised to 3.5”. Took the boat out for a small club tourney today and with me and my 16 year old son I could only get 57 mph and 5400 rpm and trimmed a hair over half way. Anything over 57 it would start to porpoise again but no chinewalk whatsoever. I could run 59 to 60 with the porpoise but stayed at 5500 rpms. The boat came with a 23m prop. I’ve never had problems with porpoising at higher speeds before. My Skeeter zx225 would only do it when I was slowing down to around 30 or 35. I need set up help on where to go from here please.

Do you know anybody that has a faster bassboat that can teach you how to drive the chinewalk?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    What jack plate do you have ?
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

4. Member
    I can drive through most chinewalk but when the prop to pad was 5 3/8” and by myself it was like it was trying to swap ends. I tried and tried to get it under control but couldn’t. It still porpoised before the chinewalk started. It’s not chinewalking now but the porpoising is still there.

5. Member
    The factory 6” zlock.

6. Member
    I have an older x19 and a new one and both have 10" jackplates with 200 opti's and I run them around 4" ptp give or take 1/2" and the Yamaha M props run great on the new boat but the older hull a Trophy Plus was a much better fit. I think if you continue to teak your Jackplate you can eventually get it to perform as it should.

7. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    The one thing I have found out about the X19 is that it takes more tweaking than any fiberglass boat I've ever messed with, but you can dial it in. They also seem to like more than 6" of jack plate. Also what Rob4AU said is very good.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

8. Member
    I have looked everywhere that I know of to try to find similar setups with the hpdi and a 23m prop but can’t find anything. I want to get a 10” hydraulic jackplate and have the prop worked. I’m loving the boat so far. Other than the problems I’m having it drives like a dream and comes out of the hole like a rocket.

9. Member
    i have the same boat and motor in a 2014, i run a worked 24 tempest plus (25 with extra cup) and a 10" plate. full load i run 62-64 (5600) only porpoise coming off plane with the motor trimmed up, i am 3.5 prop to pad. i do have 31 series batters and talons with brackets so got a good bit of extra weight.

10. Member
    Are you running hydraulic or manual plate? That kind of info is what I’m looking for. I have all 27 series blue top batteries and I don’t run a heavy load. Maybe 7 or 8 lbs of plastic and 10 trays of jigs, crankbaits, and spinnerbaits. I only weigh 180 and my son weighs about 140.

11. Member
    manual plate, tones of weight. make sure you have plenty of grease in your main bearing so there is no slack in the motor mounts, (porpoising) just grab the motor from the skeg and wiggle it and you can tell. i found that my boat chine walked when i was too high, water pressure was still good but handling went away. i sacrificed some speed for handling, but like i said i am heavy heavy aft, i added a 50lb sand bag to the bow to even it out and stop the bounce. that might help you, cheap to give it a try. i can take some pics tomorrow if you need them

12. Member
    I’m not gettin any chinewalk now that i raised motor to 3.5 but it was just the porpoising. What is the hpdi motor supposed to run at for wot? I’ve read 5400 and 5900 to 6000.

13. Member
    WOT is 6000 for the Hpdi
    2010 Xpress X19 200 HPDI

14. Member
    That’s what i thought. I’m running right at 5400 right now. On every fiberglass boat I have had raising the motor usually helped raise rpms until I lost water pressure. I raised motor and got less rpms but still have over 25 psi water pressure. I may go back to 4 1/2” ptp and see how it handles and go from there. I’m just an hour away from a landing where I can run the boat to test it.

15. Member
    i was the same, rpm didn't change when i raised it. i am running 5600 wot, but handling is good at 3.75

10-12 inch plate minimum. since every boat is probably some different on the bottom
    it does take much more attention to get set up correctly. if you see 65 with 175hpdi
    that s pretty good. 63 range more realistic. some do well with trophys some like others.
    my best prop was 25 tro4. was not as smooth as trophy but for the last 1-2 mph it beat
    a trophy. even after I smoothed the bottom of my boat porposing could still be a issue
    at certain trim and speed levels not bad but was there.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

17. Member
    After our club tournaments are over I’m going to add a 10” hydraulic jackplate and go from there. I’m gonna lower motor to 4 1/2” for now. I will work on set up again then when I have more time.

18. Member
    hydraulic jack plate would be nice. keep us posted on what you find out. good luck brother

19. Member
    Try moving wieght to the bow, this should allow more trim at the engine before porposing starts
    Last edited by wheelinworm; 05-12-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarify

20. Member
    I’m going to try that this weekend.