Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

2009 250 E-tec won't plain under load

2009 250 E-tec HO - S/N: 05250418

2009 Stratos 201 XL Evo

Left the marina this morning and the boat took off as usual. Nice hole shot. Got to my spot about 5 minutes away and fished for a while. I let it warm up to 158* F when when I went to leave. Trimmed in full.

Stepped on the hot foot and the bow lifted as usual, but would not bow over and the RPM's failed to surpass 2000 RPM. It felt like it was fighting something/bogging. I checked for weeds, tried reverse, same thing - 2000 RPM. Limped back to the marina in idle at 6 mph.

It revs just fine in neutral and purrs like a kitten.

I checked the prop, prop shaft, and looked for wrapped line and for leaking oil... all good. No leaks. Prop spins fine in neutral.

I'm not sure what to do or look for.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    No alarms? You may need to have it hooked up to diagnostics.

Sounds like you have a bad throttle position sensor! Did the check engine light come on?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Member
    I wouldn’t rule out a bad injector. I had a couple go and you could not tell without it being under load.

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    No alarms? You may need to have it hooked up to diagnostics.
    Just the usual long beep after I start it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    Sounds like you have a bad throttle position sensor! Did the check engine light come on?
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm new to Evinrude, I don't see any "Check Engine" light on my Actia gauges as they cycle through before or after start up. I did notice that the engine temp went from 158 to 192 and then back down to 170, then 158 while limping back to the dock. But wouldn't a bad throttle position sensor also effect the revving in neutral?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I wouldn’t rule out a bad injector. I had a couple go and you could not tell without it being under load.
    Did yours still idle smooth?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a little perturbed, since it was opening day, so I just backed it up to the garage when I got home. I only checked the bottom end. I'll give it a better look-see tomorrow. Too bad, 'cause it's supposed to be sunny and 70* F with no wind tomorrow. Grrrrr!

I'll probably have to bring it in on Monday.
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 05-04-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

6. Member
    Same exact scenario, verbatim, happened to me a few weeks ago. I’m expecting an expensive fix because it’s a b(reak)o(ut)a(nother)t(housand) so I haven’t taken it in yet. Let me know how it goes at the shop.

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFL_BASSIN View Post
    Same exact scenario, verbatim, happened to me a few weeks ago. I’m expecting an expensive fix because it’s a b(reak)o(ut)a(nother)t(housand) so I haven’t taken it in yet. Let me know how it goes at the shop.
    I bought the extended warranty, thank goodness!

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Phoned the tech this morning. He believes that it may have dropped an injector as well. Bringing the boat in now.

9. Member
    Let me know how much it would cost for such a fix. Dreading bringing mine in

10. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I have a $100 deductible on my first go, but I'll ask to see the bill.

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Let me know how much it would cost for such a fix. Dreading bringing mine in
    I brought the boat in Monday after phoning the dealership owner directly. I just purchased the boat in the past month and only had about 45 minutes of run time on it. The motor failed the morning of the first tournament of the year. The dealership had just begun to sell their own in-house extended warranty program and I had purchased the first policy ever. He put me on hold for a few minutes, then put me over to service.

The boat was ready yesterday morning, and it's a very busy dealership. My conversation with service went something like this:

Them: $375 for an injector, $120 for and hour's labour, and ....
    Me: I have warranty
    Them: Oh! Let me check with admin.
    Me: I'm coming to get the boat.
    Them: OK.

They told me when I got there to not worry about, since admin had not yet set up the interdepartmental billing process for the in-house warranty program. I told service that I know there's a $100 deductible on the first claim. The service manager shrugged and said that they'd figure it out. I went into the shop and gave the tech a $20 tip for bumping me to the front of the line.

(P.S.: All in colourful CAD, so knock off 30% for USD)

12. Member
    So it ended up being the injector not the TPS? How’s it run now? And it doesn’t sound too extreme price-wise

13. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    So it ended up being the injector not the TPS? How’s it run now? And it doesn’t sound too extreme price-wise
    It sounded good in the shop, but I'm taking it out in the morning tomorrow and let you know.

14. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

15. Member
    Figured it was an injector. I had a 2008 that I ended up replacing all of them. After the third one went bad, (one of the times one went bad it cost me a power head), I replaced the remaining 3 with the new updated ones. No problems after that.

16. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Figured it was an injector. I had a 2008 that I ended up replacing all of them. After the third one went bad, (one of the times one went bad it cost me a power head), I replaced the remaining 3 with the new updated ones. No problems after that.
    I read somewhere tghat BRP fixed that problem with the 2009 models. Although I have warranty, I certainly don't want to go down that river.

It would be kinda grim when you're stuck out in the middle of Lake Ontario.

17. Member
    So turns out I had a broken gear and the engine needed to be regeared. Really wishing it was just an injector...

18. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    So turns out I had a broken gear and the engine needed to be regeared. Really wishing it was just an injector...
    Well, that bites. I took mine out with the new injector and it purrs like a kitten.

I do have to tweek the set up since I installed the two 10' Talons between down time. I could run around 72+ mph with no chine walk, but now she's a handful over 70.

** 6" Slidemaster / 3" PTP / Razor 4 25P / 5500 RPM / 72 mph - before she starts to break loose **

I'm happy with the set up, though. I can cruise comfortably at 4000 rpm all day long at 50 to 60 mph, depending on trim/water conditions.