Vinyl wrap question

I have read many threads on here about gel and flake. I have seen in just about all of the ones that are really bad someone say just get it wrapped and save money instead of re-gelling. My question is, has anyone ever done it? I have talked to two vinyl guys that day it will not adhere to oxidized gel. Anyone have any experience with this?

In most cases the wrap won’t adhere to the oxidation.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Wet sand the oxidation to a smooth surface, the wrap will stick just fine.

4. Member
    I was having the same issue. Was going to order 3M solid color wrap (They have many colors) and do it myself. I even ordered the sample color swatches. About $400 for my Ranger. At the last second I decided to try the Pro-tec kit and see how it would do. I have done the top cap and now working on the bottom. Glad I did. It's coming out better than I thought. Not perfect but very good. I'm going to redo a couple areas because I did not sand good enough the first time. It's all about the sanding.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

5. Member
    Yea. I wet sanded mine a few weeks ago and it’s better but a lot of my flake had already started to silver. I applied a few test sections and they appear to adhere pretty well. As soon as school is out for the summer I’m gonna start getting prices.

6. Member
    If you can do with a solid (one) color wrap you can do it yourself and save a few hundred. The new 3M 1080 Series is pretty easy to use. It comes in many colors and finishes. I called 3M and they sent me a couple samples in different colors. I took them and played with putting them on my boat. Get on you tube and watch a few videos. Good luck.

7. Member
    I probably could do it myself, but between coaching and my 2 year old, finding enough time to get it done is a problem. I also don’t trust myself to not screw it up due to impatience and my renowned ability to say that looks good enough. Lol. I don’t mind paying a little extra for a professional job. I think I’m gonna make it look like a stock triton but a different color than original. Nothing over the top.

8. Steve Goncalves
    what grit to sand oxidation off?
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzz View Post
    what grit to sand oxidation off?
    Start with 1000 then 1500 then 2000. I did the 1000 a couple times.

10. Member
    I started with 800 cuz mine was pretty bad. But it’s pretty easy. Just takes some time.