Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Question 27 Fury 3 or 4, Trophy 27 or bravo xs

Just replaced an 07 225 with a 2017 250 pro xs. Current running a 27 tempest and the boat hits 80 at 5100 rpms ( rev 6200) but is a bitch to drive. No way I can get an additional 1,100 rpms because the boat is crazy. There is ls at least a quarter of the gas pedal left so I have the pedal to match the rpms, just need a prop that will maximize the upper rpms without killing me or my partner. FURY 3 or 4 / TROPHY or BRAVO xs.

Thanks, Mat

JR BRITS old boat

If that boat is running 5100 rpms at 80 with a 27 tempest , you have a super boat with 1.62 gears...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

U better get your tach replaced...

4. Banned
    Well I was running 76 - 78 with a 07 225 optimax. And that was GPS on a HDS 7. When I ran the 250 with the tempest I was 79 point something with a 1/4 of the gas pedal left without having the boat trimed up. ( I know the difference of over trimming) I would go to trim it up and it felt like it wanted to take off ( feel like it put you in the back of the seat) but at the same time it felt like at any moment Id lose it. You had to drive it. The tach is good. It matched what I had left in the gas pedal. The lower unit is a gen two torquemaster. Jr Britt said he had this boat into the 90's. That was not with the 225. I'll say that. Ill let him chim in. He did say he had this boat special ordered.... for whats that's worth. I believe he temporally had a 300 on it.

And its a single console
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 05-04-2019 at 09:18 PM.

5. Banned
    I'm just looking to see which prop would give me the best ride while not sacrificing speed. I cant afford to buy two or three props. How do I find out the gear ratio. The gentleman I purchased the motor from stated the rev was set at 6200. 2017 with 5 year plat warranty.

6. Member
    Propeller Pitch Gear Ratio Engine RPM Actual Speed (MPH) Propeller Slip
    27 1.75 5100 80 -.7.76%
    Add an inch for the cupping...

28 1.75 5100 80 -3.53%

Change to 1.62 gears

27 1.62 5100 80 .61%

Add an inch to compensate for cupping

28 1.62 5100 80 4.16 %

Might wanna get that tach checked and confirm 1.75 gears... Somtin' ain't addin' up. Even if 1.62 gears???? I'm not saying the 1.62 gearing slip numbers aren't possible. But I will say they're not possible trimmed down and fighting the steering.

To answer your question - Might want to look at a ProMax prop. Getting the "Right" prop first time out, especially with that setup, is asking a lot.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 05-05-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Driving a pad boat at high speed is a learned art. Make sure the load in the boat is balanced, that the prop height to pad is correct for your set-up. Keep trim angle low. Changing props is not going to eliminate the problem you describe. Experience behind the wheel will.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Member
    Not sure what hull this is we are talking about.....if it is a 2100......bone stock 27 Trophy Plus. Esp until you get comfortable with the boat.

9. Banned
    With the 225 running a 25 fury the boat was stable at 78 mph. My buddy I bought the boat from actually reached 80. He verified the speed on the GPS and I saw it with my own eyes as the HDS recorded it so its a fast boat. At the same speed running the 250 the tempest is all over the place. And like I said, I still had 1\4 of the gas pedal left with 250. Why is the tempest so squirrely? I've had a 209 TE and other boats so its not like this is the first boat I've driven but it is the first 250. All the other boats had a 225. The boat is a 2100. JR Britt said when he ordered the boat he requested to have it made out of Kevlar. Does that make a difference? He said its one out of two Gamblers ever made from the stuff. He was buddies with the owner of Gambler.

10. Banned
    David Burch and I were fishing together and he even said I had a special boat, Miss the guy. David was friends with Jr and David said Matt, you don't have an ordinary 2100. I just put that out there to see if that might help the equation.

11. Banned
    Also in about 6 months I'm going from 3 80 pnd 31 Trojons batteries to two 25 pnd 36 volt lithium pros. So I will also be 200 pnds lighter in the bilge area.

Dude... WE ARENT ARGUING THE SPEED... YOUR RPMS ARE WAY OFF!

13. Banned
    10\4 call me at 904 376 5848 , why was it stable with the 25 fury at 78? I run the tempest and the boat is all over the place at 78 with plenty left to give it.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 05-05-2019 at 08:05 PM.

14. Member
    I hesitate to get into this but Ill give it a try because of your comment about having had a 209. I had a 209 and sold it to by my 2100. For about 2 days strait on the river I was deeply regretting selling the old 209 because of the tremendous difference in the two hulls and the handling characteristics. After I figured it out I found the 2100 was just a way more sensitive hull to JP height and trim. Even the timing of trim in the power band was way different. Using what you know or feel about driving the 209 and transferring it to the 2100 is not a good idea from my experience. My 209 (a 79 MPH boat consistently) wanted all the trim it could get and wanted to run (and was comfortable to drive) bow high. The 2100 can easily be over trimmed and wants to run flatter. I have had a 225 EFI and am on my third 250 Pro XS on my 2100. I put over 400 hours on each. I know the exact spot on pad you are talking about when the boat gets "loose". I highly recommend slightly trimming down at that point, lower the bow and then after the boat settles go WOT. It will run all its going to run there. I cant run thru that loose bow high spot and get top speed and still control the boat. I have run all the props and had them worked, blue printed and all that mess. Can tell you this.....mine hates Furys. Additionally, whatever minuscule increase in top end speed you will get from any three blade will never (for me) be worth the loss of performance in all other aspects from a 4 blade. I run a 27 Trophy plus (stock....I sling blades on worked props), 3.25 to 3.75 JP height and get 84.5 MPH with two lithiums and one huge gell cell and a tournament load. Co angler and two limits of fish 80mph. Hope this helps.

15. Member
    Bunch a nerds...put that tempest back on there and quit crying

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    I run a 29 Tempest sometimes on my Intimidator with a modded 3.0 liter. The holeshot is crap and its a handful to drive but the top end is fun.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    10\4 call me at 904 376 5848 , why was it stable with the 25 fury at 78? I run the tempest and the boat is all over the place at 78 with plenty left to give it.
    SEAT TIME...every prop changes characteristics of the boat...and Fury's like to be ran deeper...
    UNTIL YOU GET A PROPERLY PERFORMING TACHOMETER, and some SEAT TIME to control what you got...ITS NO NEED TO START CHANGING PROPS...

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    You gonna be crying when the SEC comes to town and paddles your Longhorns. For yall reading HawkDriver had the boat up to 80 with the old 225. He bought the boat from JR and I bought it from HawkDriver. He used to be my TX buddy until he moved to KY. You come back down here and see if you can control it, I aint gonna chance it. My buddies bullet runs true as an arrow at 88. He said he can drive it with one hand. That's what I'm looking for, that kinda stability at what ever max speed the boat will run. Thanks yall for the help. CRY, CRY, CRY, when Ga comes to town.... GO GATORS!

19. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Have you checked hydraulic steering, motor mounts, swivel bracket to make sure everything is tight and solid? Check everything once just to eliminate.

I always love it when the Shortwhorns get paddled!

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    You gonna be crying when the SEC comes to town and paddles your Longhorns. For yall reading HawkDriver had the boat up to 80 with the old 225. He bought the boat from JR and I bought it from HawkDriver. He used to be my TX buddy until he moved to KY. You come back down here and see if you can control it, I aint gonna chance it. My buddies bullet runs true as an arrow at 88. He said he can drive it with one hand. That's what I'm looking for, that kinda stability at what ever max speed the boat will run. Thanks yall for the help. CRY, CRY, CRY, when Ga comes to town.... GO GATORS!
    again...driver input/seat time... the PROP IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast