Unit loosing bottom randomly.

I have a Helix 10 SI at the bow with transducer mounted on trolling motor. For some reason it has started randomly loosing the bottom in both shallow or deep water. Turn unit off then back on and it works for a few then looses bottom again. Tried auto depth and setting the max depth. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Which version of software are you running?

3. Member
    I’m usually a big advocate for updating but I have not updated to the latest version yet, been seeing a lot of mixed reviews on the new one. Haven’t had a problem till now but that was my next step if nothing else worked.

4. Member
    definitely going to want to update. The most recent update specifically corrected issues with incorrect bottom readings. From what I can tell when it starts having an issue it simply stops reading the depth for a moment but your screen will continue to read normal. In the past it would start jumping and incorrectly adjust the range non stop. It was very annoying if you had max depth set, bottom would start jumping all over the screen. The new update fixes it.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

It would still be nice to know what software version you have.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

6. Member
    1.8 is the version I have now I believe. It was the last update released before the most recent

Quote Originally Posted by MPS Fishing View Post
    1.8 is the version I have now I believe. It was the last update released before the most recent
    I updated to 1.9 and it has it own set of issues but i think it is better than 1.8 . Imop i think 1.64 was the best version but unless u saved the file u will have to go up to 1.9

8. Member
    Updated and fished Friday and Saturday, still the same issue. Works great for a bit then looses bottom and I have to restart to fix the problem. Also noticed the depth would say, for example, 25ft but the bottom on the actual sonar pic was 22ft. according to the foot marks at the color line on the graph.

9. Member
    Have you tried just the 200khz

10. Member
    No I currently have it set on 83/200. Will give it a shot

11. Member
    MPS -- try this to determine if it's a software problem. When your bottom disappears, use the Sonar Express menu to change the Bottom Range from Auto to a depth that is greater than the actual water depth. That will cause the unit to show you all the returns up to the set depth even if the unit can't correctly calculate where the bottom is. If you then see a clear bottom signal, but the unit still isn't telling you the correct depth, it's a software problem. I've had that problem for the last two or three or more software updates, including 1.9.

12. Member
    That’s exactly what my problem is. The depth is not correct but it still shows the bottom.

13. Member
    Have you tried the latest software available for your unit?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow