Which one: Grand, Long, Hubbard and/or Thunder bay last weekend of June?

Looking at checking out the Alpena area the last weekend of June. Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning. Have always fished Traverse City and surrounding area, looking for a change of pace. Out of the choices of Grand, Long, Hubbard and Thunder Bay, is there one or two that you'd recommend to focus in on with only a few days of fishing? Haven't booked a place to stay yet, going to us Airbnb or VRBO style place.

2. Member
    Used to go up to Alpena a lot that time of year up until a few years ago. I'd say absolutely stay away from Grand and focus on Long. Great topwater lake that time of year. I have never fished Hubbard so can't comment on it, but I loved Long that time of year. I did venture out onto Thunder Bay with limited success and would not recommend it due to your time constraints. Good luck

3. Member
    Long or Hubbard are great pics. Be sure to check your dates as the high school BASS circuit is up there around that time.

4. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    They all were good not to long ago.
    But because of MLF. The pressure those lakes have received has had a negative impact on the fishing.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. And I was afraid of the huge swing in visitors, then again here I come rolling in.

6. Member
    I really like all 4....Over Grand and Long I like Grand the best even though my inlaws live on Long....I love fishing around all the islands in the spring and there are some hogs in Grand....All 4 are great and alot of it depends on your fishing style..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Small fish in long. That should help you in your decision lol.

8. Member
    Stay away from Grand, big fish kill last few years. Long for numbers and fun, Hubbard for big fish less numbers. Thunder Bay is weather permiting, I hear it blows east at noon everyday lol.
    -Matt

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MITR185 View Post
    Stay away from Grand, big fish kill last few years. Long for numbers and fun, Hubbard for big fish less numbers. Thunder Bay is weather permiting, I hear it blows east at noon everyday lol.
    -Matt
    I fished Grand 4 or 5 times last year and saw no real difference in numbers.. I haven't heard anything about a fish kill that effected Smallmouths in a big way...I am not saying it didn't happen but I haven't seen any significant effect personnally...I haven't been up yet this year......I know they had some LBV issues in the region but haven't heard about it on Grand...
    They had a decent year ice fishing for Perch and walleye...

If you want to get the low down on current conditions call Buck's bait..https://bucksbait.com/
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 05-15-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn