G loomis IMX-PRO 820S DSR vs. 822

Long story short, I got a great deal on a few IMX-Pro rods at a local shop. I left with what I thought was an 822 DSR, only to find out it was an 820. Went back, returned and they gladly worked through the process of getting me the right one. Picked it up last weekend, never thought twice about it until today only to take it out of the bag and see another 820 in my hands. Debating if I need to go back and do this process all over again, or just give it a shot and hope I'm happy with it.

Is the 820 going to be enough rod for northern Michigan smallies, as well as maybe a backup senko rod? It just feels so dang flimsy!

2. Moderator
    I’m fishing NRXs, BUT I find that the 822 DSR is the softest rod I want to fish at all...and that’s even when dealing with 2 pound spots, not 5 lb brownies. If it were me, I’d get the 822. My personal opinion is that the 820 is a noodle, going back to the original old school green drop shot rod and GLX version.
    Steve

3. Member
    I also got a great deal on a IMX 820 DSR. It was too light for me. I always felt like the fish had control of me and I was always behind what the fish was going to do. I fish LSC and local Michigan lakes. I thought maybe I'd use the 820 as a ned rig/spybait/hairjig rod but it was too much of a noodle for that too. I gave the 820 DSR to my dad who fishing small rivers for smallies where a big smallmouth for him is 2 pounds. I'm using an Alpha Angler DSR now and I'm loving it. I'd try and get one of the 822's if I were you.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, ended up going back one more time and swapping out. Got the right rod this time. But completely agree, the 820 was like an ultra light for gills! Just couldn't do it.

5. Member
    I have the original 820dsr Loomis light green drop shot rod it is really a 4-6 pound rod and a total noodle. I want to get an 822 glx or nrx eventually but the rod is FUN to catch fish on.

6. Member
    I love the 820, it is a really fun rod to catch smallmouths on. It is definitely a "wet noodle" but I grew up fishing ultralight for trout so no big deal to me. I do prefer it more for vertical fishing than casting the rig. It also becomes a little more of an issue when the wind is blowing. There is no more fun rod in my arsenal though when catching a huge smallmouth 35 feet down.

7. Member
    G.Loomis site says that the IMX PRO 822S DSR has a lure weight range of 1/8-5/16oz. Tacklewarehouse says it's a 3/16-1/2oz, same as TackleDirect and others.
    Can a owner tell me which is real?

There are two 822s rods in the IMX Pro line up. The 822 DSR drop shot rod is rated 3/16-1/2 oz and the 822 SYR shaky head rod is rated 1/8-5/16oz.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    There are two 822s rods in the IMX Pro line up. The 822 DSR drop shot rod is rated 3/16-1/2 oz and the 822 SYR shaky head rod is rated 1/8-5/16oz.
    Thank you

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    The DSR only rates out a 1/2 oz. because it assumes a vertical (drop shot) presentation. It is way softer than the 5/16 oz.-rated shakey head rod...and I just saw Tool in March
    Steve