Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Take it out, run it through any checks you can think of. Then, pick a nice day, check the weather, make sure you have enough PFD's and invite the P.O. to go out with you fishing.

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    With it being winterized and serviced before being put up you should be fine,drain the fuel and fill with non ethanol and fresh batteries and you should be good to go ,fire it up make sure your peeing out the tell tail and warm it up good then run it it will smoke since it has been winterized but eventually will clear out after that you might want to change your plugs in case they are fouled from the winterizing procedure. Once you put in your new batteries make sure everything works before you drop her in the water and congrats and good luck
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    In canada our boats sit for 7 months of the year every year (total insanity lately)

Put fresh ethanol free gas in, maybe a lil seafoam. Fire it up in the driveway with earplugs on and burn out that fogging oil. ensure that the outboard is peeing. Then Swap plugs, check the lower end for water and head out to the lake, no big deal!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

4. Member
    I drained the fuel tank and filled it with 5 gallons of premium this morning and took it to the lake to see if it would start and unfortunately it would not. I checked all the basics - kill switch, primer bulb, fresh fully charged battery, etc.

The motor turns with the starter, water is coming out of the hole in the back, but it does not seem to be getting either spark or fuel. No odor of gas as if the engine flooded. It didn't even sputter like it might start. I checked the fuel filter - emptied the sight bowl (there was a tiny bit of sediment but nothing major). I loaded it up on the trailer and brought her home. I went to check the spark plugs but based on their location, I will likely wait to tackle that another day as I am a bit frustrated.

Any thoughts? I also posted in the Mercury motor forum looking for help. I was going to take it in for pre-season service prior to trying to take it out, but I was hoping for a miracle that it would fire up since it had been serviced prior to being put up. I have an appointment in about 3 weeks, but was really hoping to get things running so I could at least get it on the water. Not the best of maiden voyages - the worst part was disappointing my son who was looking forward to getting out.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

5. Member
    Is your bulb getting hard when squeezed? If not you have a prime issue. I would think some air is getting in since you changed the bulb.

6. Member
    Bulb was firm, kept checking it. When I got home and took off the cowl, I could see through the fuel filter bowl that it was only half full. Having not worked on this type motor before, I don't know if it should have been full? Possibly air in the fuel line between the filter and fuel pump?

I did check 2 of the 3 spark plugs - they were slightly wet with fuel and the gap looked fine. I couldn't get to the third plug as I didn't have a swivel to reach it.

I need to get some muffs so I can try to troubleshoot this at home without hauling it to the lake.

7. Member
    I bet a 100 it is just air in gas line......pick up a set of muffs at Wally World and give it another go!

I winterized my boat in Nov. got injuried and it sat and sat, a few years. Took the cowing off, squirted the cyl. With fogging oil and went to the lake. Turned over for 3 seconds and that Yamama OX66 fired right up

9. Member
    The red wire next to the driver's seat goes to the kill switch. Check it first.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I bet a 100 it is just air in gas line......pick up a set of muffs at Wally World and give it another go!
    When I went to take the half full sight bowl off, there was pressure as it began releasing air and fuel. I thought that the air would have pushed on through when I pumped the bulb but it didn't. Not sure if it was just because there was so much air in the lines from draining the fuel tank or if there is a blockage or fuel pump issue. Once I released the pressure in the sight bowl by the loosening the filter filled up with fuel.

Today I went out and the sight bowl was empty, when I pumped the fuel bulb, the bowl filled completely up. Probably looking in the wrong place I guess. Will likely need to have someone look at it.
    Last edited by Thomasj; 05-20-2019 at 11:41 AM.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Did you check for spark? Did you check to make sure the kill switch is operational? I know this sounds really dumb but cycle the gear shifter to forward and reverse a few times; don’t force it, if it doesn’t move freely move the prop a quarter inch and try again.

I got “stuck” on the water recently and I hadn’t pulled my control into neutral completely when I shut her down. I was all panicked until I touched the shifter and it clicked into neutral

The neutral safety switch got me that time!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Pull the spark plugs, squirt some oil or fogging oil in, replace plugs. 1st - Verify you have the correct plugs. Run it at home. Either on muffs or in a trash can. To verify it starts/runs, and that it "pees". If it doesn't pee, start looking for a blockage, muddobbers LOVE to build in the various ports . Replacing a water pump is usually quite simple. Common wrenches and ratchets is usually all that's needed, and YouTube!
    Never fog an EFI motor
    Please release me,let me go.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Never fog an EFI motor
    Good catch, I missed that !

14. Member
    I always put some Seafoam in every gas tank after sitting for a while. Boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, cars etc. That stuff is like magic.

15. Member
    I was pretty sure the reason the boat wouldn't start was due to a lack of fuel or fuel pressure. I was somewhat suspicious of the fuel filter element after inspecting it. The o ring was loose and had a nick in it and it looked dirty. I ordered a new filter element and a set of muffs for the engine and she fired right up. Hopeful for some decent weather this weekend to get the boat on the water.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123