Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JDM Reel Shipping

How long does it usually take to get a reel purchased from Japan Lure Shop?

2. Member
    Not sure about them but Digitaka you'll typically have it in about a week and a half. With that said Apr 25 I ordered a Bantam from a Japanese dealer on Ebay and the 27th ordered one from Digitaka. I my Ebay purchase is still with Japan Post and Digitaka emailed me stating that due to holidays my order will ship on reopening of business May 9th. I guess that explains why my Ebay order hasn't moved.

Is Digitaka pretty reliable to order from?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin81 View Post
    Is Digitaka pretty reliable to order from?
    Yes. I use PayPal and it will convert the Yen to USD. This will be my 4th reel purchase from them, got one in about two weeks ago. Thought it was weird about this order on the 27th, got an email right off the bat saying it would be the 9th before it ships. I had to Google it and they are having some big holidays over there this week. So no biggie. My Ebay order is my first time buying from the seller but Digitaka's email explains why my package hasn't moved (I hope).

I have purchased quite a few reels from Digitaka. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to post but once the shipper gets it, it doesn’t take long to get it. Usually 4 days. Kansai to LA to Phoenix. I think they are very reliable and would not hesitate to recommend them. Just do your homework and understand exactly what you’re getting. Often, there are differences in JDM and US reels... specifically the spool size.

They frequently send me coupon codes. The last one warned me that they would not be shipping until May 9th.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Japan lure shop charges shipping , takes about a week. Digitaka free shipping , about 9-10 days.

7. Member
    Digitaka is top notch- 2 weeks is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
    Digitaka is top notch- 2 weeks is the norm.
    Must be all that rain that slows em down!
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

9. Member
    how are you guys getting such slow shipping from these two companies? From my past 4 or 5 purchases from these two companies, I've been receiving them in no more than 5 business days.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    how are you guys getting such slow shipping from these two companies? From my past 4 or 5 purchases from these two companies, I've been receiving them in no more than 5 business days.
    Maybe it has to do with West vs East coast?

11. Member
    I've had really good experiences with digitaka. I love the little add ons they throw in.

12. Member
    I've ordered dozens of reels, rods and parts from JDM sites. I've used Digitaka, JLS, Ichiban tackle, Plat tackle and Japan tackle and have had nothing but fantastic experiences. All of them have had things to me within a week except for right now because of the Japanese holiday. I currently have two awaiting shipment form Digitaka currently.

With JLS you pay shipping but they always toss in megabass lures with every order I do so it evens out to me.

Are JDM reels significantly better than the reels bought here in the USA? For instance, the Revo SX on DIGITAKA vs one I can buy here.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer22 View Post
    Are JDM reels significantly better than the reels bought here in the USA? For instance, the Revo SX on DIGITAKA vs one I can buy here.
    I cant compare Abu's JDM vs USDM market but for Shimano's and Daiwa's identical models i find JDM reels usually running a softer lube and many times the spool is a touch shallower (IE shimano aldebaran: 50 size USDM, 30 size JDM) and some have better bearings.

Where the JDM has the biggest advantage IMO is they offer models not available to the US market and with the current exchange rate there are deals to be had. BFS models are in abundance in the JDM market which are not available here such as the daiwa alphas air stream custom or the shimano aldebaran bfs or abu ltx bf8. If you want to try the new Daiwa 70 sized sv spool in the USDM reels you have to get the $699 MSRP steez ct sv while the JDM market has the alphas 70 ct sv available for around $240 shipped. The biggest drawback of JDM reels is you don't get the warranty coverage like USDM models and JDM reels are harder to return if you don't care for the reel once received.

I have a JDM shimano engetsu hg which is essentially a USDM curado 70 with better paint and accents then beefed up for saltwater use. Better bearings, brass micro module gears, clicking drag, aluminum handle side plate and 102mm handle and with the exchange rate cost about the same as me buying a curado 70 at msrp shipped to my door. So if you like to have something a little different the JDM market is always fun to dabble in.

Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    I cant compare Abu's JDM vs USDM market but for Shimano's and Daiwa's identical models i find JDM reels usually running a softer lube and many times the spool is a touch shallower (IE shimano aldebaran: 50 size USDM, 30 size JDM) and some have better bearings.

Where the JDM has the biggest advantage IMO is they offer models not available to the US market and with the current exchange rate there are deals to be had. BFS models are in abundance in the JDM market which are not available here such as the daiwa alphas air stream custom or the shimano aldebaran bfs or abu ltx bf8. If you want to try the new Daiwa 70 sized sv spool in the USDM reels you have to get the $699 MSRP steez ct sv while the JDM market has the alphas 70 ct sv available for around $240 shipped. The biggest drawback of JDM reels is you don't get the warranty coverage like USDM models and JDM reels are harder to return if you don't care for the reel once received.

I have a JDM shimano engetsu hg which is essentially a USDM curado 70 with better paint and accents then beefed up for saltwater use. Better bearings, brass micro module gears, clicking drag, aluminum handle side plate and 102mm handle and with the exchange rate cost about the same as me buying a curado 70 at msrp shipped to my door. So if you like to have something a little different the JDM market is always fun to dabble in.

Make sense, thanks for the input. I did notice some Abu not available here but I will need to research a little before I spend the money to make sure I am getting the reel I am thinking I am wanting.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post

The Yen vs US Dollar makes a big difference in price. With that said you only see real differences the higher end you go For example a Metanium is $420 here, over there it is 31,800 JPY which today would equal $290.05 USD. But a Scorpion 70 (Curado 70 equivalent) is $200 here and 19,700 JPY which would be $179.68. The new Antares is $600 here and 46,400 JPY which is $423.21.

17. Member
    I received an email from Digitaka this morning saying a reel that I had ordered during their holidays has shipped, I'll see how long it takes to get here. I've never really kept up with how long it takes to arrive but never over two weeks.

18. Goby King
    My last Digitaka order was in my mailbox in 5 days from the time I placed my order. 2 of those days, it was sitting in customs at JFK, according to the tracking.

19. Member
    What are tariffs like on Japanese reel imports in the US? Here in Canada, I’ve been expecting a 20% hit - 6.something % tariff on the reel itself and the usual 13% sales tax we pay on all sales for anything.

20. Member
    Doesnt hurt to check out Ebay too. Aside from the numerous lucky craft baits I've got from Japan on there for cheap, I've bought 2 jdm reels and havent had an issue. Got a near mint J dream for I think 230 shipped and have seen the same reel in worse quality for for about 300. Got a jdm alphas sv with only one flaw in the paintjob for under 200 shipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast