MHX Blank Recommendations

Mudhole has a sale right now on MHX kits, 25% off. I want to build two rods but I need some recommendations on what blanks I should get, since I don't have much experience building.

For the first rod, I'm looking for a jig and texas rig rod. I usually fish 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs + their respective trailers, skipping docks and casting, I also fish texas rigs from 1/4 to 3/4, usually doing the same. I'm looking at the mag tapers in the 873 and 874. What which would you guys go with?

For the second rod, I'm looking to build a spinnerbait/ chatterbait rod that I can bomb spinnerbaits with, usually 3/8 and 1/2 spinnerbaits without trailers, and 3/8 and sometimes 1/2oz chatterbaits + trailers. I'm thinking the mag taper 873 would be good for this, what do you guys think? Any other MHX recommendations?

Thanks!
    James
    Last edited by jmartin49201; 05-03-2019 at 11:37 AM.

2. Member
    For the spinnerbait rod you might want to check out the MB863XF. Not sure if they offer a kit in that blank, but it's a great spinnerbait rod.

It's much softer than the mag taper 873, which may not be exactly what you're after, but it's a really great blank. I have 3 of them and it's become pretty much my all purpose smallmouth casting set up. It's great for 1/2oz open water spinnerbaits, finesse swimbaits, even squarebills. I love the XF for moving baits, super quick soft tip keeps them pinned, but still has backbone to handle big smallmouth.

3. Member
    I just edited the OP because I forgot I'll also be throwing chatterbaits on it aswell. Would that softer blank also be alright with the chatterbaits?

4. Member
    Personally, I would want to go a little stiffer if you're going to throw bladed jigs on it too. That XF blank won't handle shallow grass you typically throw a metal jig in.

I have 3 of the 843 rods for pretty much exactly your talking with Jigs and texas rigs.
    I really like them so far. I also have 2 7'3" blanks that I use quite a bit for football jigs and Carolina rigs.
    the XF rods I have 2 of in 6'9" for jerkbaits and topwaters not the best for Spinner baits and Chatterbaits as they have a really soft tip.