Post Triton TRX 179 Trim Angle

I am running a Triton TRX 179 it’s 18.6 feet with 4 Stroke Mercury pro XS 115 with the coomand thrust 2.38 gear ratio with a 22 P Laser 2. It seems as if with the angle of the transom and the added 6 inch jackplate I am having to much negative trim angle with the LU tucked in a little 2 much causing the boat to run with very little lift and seems as if with a more neutral positive angle and a little added trim I could get the bow up a little, RPMs are good at 5950 and runs just under 51 MPH. It just seems as if the boat is plowing and if you trim it up it seems as if it still does not get any lift with hardly any rooster tale. When idling and slowing down it seems as if the motor is tilted inward causing downward pressure sometimes it seems as if the back of the cowling is halfway under the water. I have owned 1 other triton a skeeter, xpress and a bass cat I understand a little about setup but have never ran wedges because all the others ran fine without them.. I didn’t buy the boat for Speed I bought it because of the size and weight and length fits my garage fine has all the features of most larger bass boats and with the Ultrex it fishes great and easy on the pocket book.. My question is this do yall think it would be beneficial to put the motor in a more positive angle to get a little added lift.. I have been up and down and everywhere in between with the jackplate it still seems as if it doesn’t run out like it should Speed is not the issue it’s handling and not having the boat plow as much..

2. Member
    Can you trim it out all the way without getting any porpoising and when it's trimmed out all the way is it at a positive trim angle? What is your prop to pad measurement? If the prop is too low prop to pad you may not be getting any lift. Spacers will give you more positive trim angle but if it isn't making any difference when your trimmed out all the way the prop may need some work. Laser II props usually need work to run at their best.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 05-03-2019 at 09:54 AM.

3. Member
    I stand corrected it’s not trim angle, the individuals that mounted the motor to the jack plate are idiots the motor was on the Lowest setting ON the jack plate so the issue on hand is even if I raise the jackplate all the way it will not be enough, with the jackplate all the way up it’s still over 4.5 inches PTP

4. Member
    It should be in the second hole from the top. Moving it up two holes will put you at 3" under which should be close to right.

5. Member
    I am going to have to take the motor off of the jackplate and raise it on the plate to even get anywhere near 3 inches PTP. I ran the jackplate to the highest setting it was a tad over 4.5 inches PTP but this made it run a little better but I lost 3 MPH and seemed as if I couldn’t get the positive trim needed to raise the bow. I swear it needs spacers to offset the negative trim angle the transom points inwards toward the bottom so with the jackplate and motor bolted to the jackplate @ the lowest setting I don’t think anything would make it run any better until the motor was set correctly on the jackplate I think this would help the lower unit from being tucked as much and with a 2 inch spacer would bring the motor to a little more neutral setting. Another issue is with it mounted on the jackplate This low is when I come off plane I have to be super cautious because the water will damn near come over the cowling it’s horrible

6. Member
    Is the motor bolted to the plate through the second or third set of holes from the top of the motor mounting bracket? This is how to measure prop to pad http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 Make sure pad is level. If it's bolted through the top set of holes it has to be raised up at least one set of holes.

7. Member
    Nope it’s bolted thru the 1st top set of holes it’s at the lowest setting possible, this defeated the purpose of even having a jackplate will have to move to the 3rd set. I don’t understand their reasoning I assume someone got in a hurry I should have noticed this when I picked it up. But once it’s at the correct position it should run much better, I can get 51 mph with a 22 pitch even where it’s at I may have to try another prop, it may even run a little better that command thrust makes a big difference on that 115 I will be happy with anything over 50 especially with a 115 that’s not bad for a 18.5 glass boat I love the boat I have owned several other bass boats but for the money I can’t beat it two 7 inch graphs an Ultrex trolling motor it has everything the TRX 189 has and out the door brand new I have less than 28 Grand in it I got a good deal I couldn’t pass up

8. Member
    It should have been in the second set down. The command thrust will give you a good hole shot but not the speed of the regular lower unit.

9. Member
    I split the difference raised it up to the 3rd hole dropped the jackplate measured it I am 3.5 inches PTP still running the Laser 2 it ran good but in slight turns it’s losing a little bite , but the RPM,s are where they need to be it’s running 52 MPH I honestly believe with a little work on the prop it would even perform better, I am more than pleased with top end and hole shot so I am going to leave it alone

10. Member
    Post #2 Laser II's need work to run right. I'd try to find a Tempest 21 to try on it.

11. Member
    I have the same boat and I have a 6in jackplate and mine came with a 24p Tempest that I could get up to 53-54mph but I had trouble getting on pad with a full load and the boat never had bow lift either. Ended up buying a 24p bravo xs 4 blade and it actually has bow lift now but still takes 7-8sec to get on pad with 2 people, gear, full live well,full tank of gas and 4 batteries. Speed went down to 48-49mph, I might try a hydraulic jackplate in the future to help out more.

12. Member
    I don't know that specific hull but I've set up a number of boats and in my opinion a common misconception is that big time bow lift always equals more speed. This isn't always the case. It depends on the hull. Some hulls by their design just run flatter that others. I had a Viper Coral 202 - 225 EFI that just ran flat. I could keep trimming that hull and get the nose up but speed always went down. On the other hand my Skeeter FX21 runs best with the nose high / lots of trim. Think of it like this. You only have so much power. On a hull that is most effiecient running flat any power used to lift the nose takes away horizontal thrust to make speed!

13. Member
    Most Tritons need lift with some of the 20 & 21's needing wedges for more bow lift.