Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Ok, thanks, the battery will be an X2 PowerPremium 31M AGM with 1150 CCA, so that’s covered. Thanks very much for the feedback!
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

2. Member
    I heard back from both Mercury and Triton today. Thought I would update for anyone else seeing this thread in the future.

Mercury said they are hearing that many (most?) manufacturers are just using 4 batteries with the newer kickers when they are added to Verados. They have not heard of any issues but they have decided not to deviate from their longstanding recommendations (that date back to 2007) to use 5 battery configurations, even through some of their newer kickers have more charging capacity.

Triton said their “Flush mounted kicker control, tie bar and isolator” package for their Verado equipped boats does in fact use just a 4 battery configuration. However, they said both motors are completely tied to the one cranking battery, nothing is routed to the 3rd trolling battery.

Since the Tritons are built in the same factory as the Rangers now, they suspect Shewstring’s kicker on his Ranger was wired the way he describes above (to the 3rd trolling battery) by the dealer, not the factory.

This has been very interesting...learn something new every day.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I heard back from both Mercury and Triton today. Thought I would update for anyone else seeing this thread in the future.

Mercury said they are hearing that many (most?) manufacturers are just using 4 batteries with the newer kickers when they are added to Verados. They have not heard of any issues but they have decided not to deviate from their longstanding recommendations (that date back to 2007) to use 5 battery configurations, even through some of their newer kickers have more charging capacity.

Triton said their “Flush mounted kicker control, tie bar and isolator” package for their Verado equipped boats does in fact use just a 4 battery configuration. However, they said both motors are completely tied to the one cranking battery, nothing is routed to the 3rd trolling battery.

Since the Tritons are built in the same factory as the Rangers now, they suspect Shewstring’s kicker on his Ranger was wired the way he describes above (to the 3rd trolling battery) by the dealer, not the factory.

This has been very interesting...learn something new every day.
    I would agree with the comment, "the dealer hooked it to the 3rd trolling motor battery". I do use the bow mount trolling motor for most of the steering duty when trolling.

I do question and am somewhat concerned with how much load is on the main motor's alternator as I assume the 3rd trolling motor battery is getting charged by the main motor when running. My third battery shows little need for the on-board charger when I get home.

The setup Triton is proposing and the recommendation on the 1150 CCA AGM makes the most sense.

4. Member
    Thought I would update this thread. I took delivery of the new 2020 Triton 216FH, setup with a 300HP V8 Verado, a 15HP EFI ProKicker, and the dual factory flush controls and Verado isolator package. The dealer told me Triton wired up the kicker and battery isolator to the 3rd trolling motor battery, not the starting battery as Triton said they normally do.

Sigh...so now I need to decide whether I should just leave it as is or try to rewire it myself to the starting battery as the consensus seems to be that this is the better approach (and it’s what Triton said they were supposed to do).

My dealer is a brand new Triton dealer and does not have any experience with this type of thing, so if I do decide to rewire it it’s on me.

Thoughts?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Assuming the Kicker is not going through an isolator- I wouldn't want it on a potentially (heavily) discharged battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Supposedly it is going through an isolator, that’s supposed to be part of the “Verado flush control package with tie bar and isolator” package that Triton uses. They just connected it to the 3rd TM battery as opposed to the starting battery.

Im thinking my 3rd TM battery will drain quicker than the starting battery, but I guess this arrangement might offer more insurance in terms of getting back in with the Verado.

I don’t pretend to understand much about isolator wiring pros/cons, but the one way current flow aspect of isolators significantly confuses me in terms of the way they are used on these rigs. For instance, if current flow is only allowed to the kicker due to the use of an isolator, doesn’t this negate the advantage of the kicker’s alternator to send some current back (to charge the battery) while it’s running?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Isolators are used to permit charging current OUT to batteries (from the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks, makes a bit more sense now.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Whatever you choose let us know how it works out. Always interested.
    Well, this has turned into a nightmare. As noted above, the boat was delivered about 2 months ago and even though Triton confirmed (before I placed my order) that they connect the kicker to the starting battery with their dual flush mounted control package (with the Verado and kicker tied together), it showed up with the kicker and Verado power steering connected to the 3rd trolling motor battery. I questioned them about this and they acknowledged that it was a mistake and everything but the trolling motors was supposed to be connected to the starting battery.

So it’s been in the shop for the past 3 weeks for correction and the shop has been unable to obtain advice from Triton as to how to rewire things. The shop does not want to rewire it without instruction from Triton and I don’t blame them because there has been other electrical issues with the boat. The Verado was tilting and trimming by itself after it was left outside without a cover at the canvas shop, my $400 X2 AGM starting battery completely shorted out (it was only holding 6V), and the bow mounted trim switch was dead because the factory wired it to the analog harness when it was supposed to be wired to the digital harness (I have the SmartCraft system). I’m afraid what else I’ll find once I get it out on the water.

Triton offers this dual flush mounted Verado/Kicker package on this boat only with a 4-battery configuration, so it’s not like the 5-battery configuration was an option, there’s just no place to mount a 5th battery on this boat.

I haven’t even been able to launch it yet. I hope to be able to update this with a post saying that Triton has stepped up and resolved all of this.
    Last edited by rpr; 09-08-2019 at 08:23 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it's wired to the 3rd trolling motor battery (I'm not particularly fond of that setup, but it could be done that way)- Mercury Part# 8M0098553 Verado-Kicker Electrical Kit is what is usually utilized.

It permits a separate (Deep Cycle) battery to drive the Power Steering Pump while the kicker is operating. If the voltage in the (Deep Cycle) battery drops too low, an alert is sent to advise the operator that the Verado engine must be started/run to bring voltage up.

Shouldn't be that complex....

11. Member
    It appears Part number 8M0098553 has been superseded. What is the newest isolator kit we should be using? The mercury dealer by me said to use this 8M0149838, but it does not come with the same wiring and is missing the isolator.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're correct- just since the Jan.1 Rigging guide it's superseded and then gone NLA.

They now recommend Part# 8M0149838 (which I understand does NOT include an isolator). For Verado models, an isolator that can handle the FULL OUTPUT of the alternator is recommended, so I would recommend Part# 8M6006077 (140 Amp Isolator).

13. Member
    Wowser I just checked for that Isolator 8M6006077 they want $300 plus dollars for it. the price to play. Another question, would you happen to have a wiring diagram on how I should be wiring to each battery and what goes to each one., I have a 5th battery. Thanks.

14. Member
    <EDIT- See Announcements>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-11-2019 at 05:07 PM.

15. Member
    Another question, why would the isolator need to match the verado 140 amp output when only the amps it will see would be from the 15hp kicker motor correct?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter08 View Post
    Wowser I just checked for that Isolator 8M6006077 they want $300 plus dollars for it. the price to play. Another question, would you happen to have a wiring diagram on how I should be wiring to each battery and what goes to each one., I have a 5th battery. Thanks.
    At this present time, I do not have a "cookie-cutter" diaghram for this purpose.

Normally, when multiple engines utilize the same battery for a purpose, isolators are used between each engine and that battery. The Kicker would not need anywhere near that amperage rating, but the Verado's alternator WOULD.

While I am absolutely certain there are other isolators that would be suitable, I would strongly recommend utilizing something certified by the engine manufacturer, as you would have TWO of their engines involved in a moderately complex system.

Additionally- Please note that per the Forum Announcements, we do not support certain "venues" here in the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12