Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advise please....

Son and I are contemplating getting a new 5th wheel. We are looking at Forest River and Keystone models. Just looking for advise as to what to look for, especially the items that after you buy it you wished you would of done something different. Will not rely on sales person for they may have their own agenda as to what model to sell. Looking at something that is 30-40 ft. Had a pull camper about 25 years ago and I can say that things have really changed. Looking for quality as well as comfort.

All advise is welcome....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

2. Member
    I would encourage to look at Jaycos. I have had about 7 different campers and I am really happy now that I got a Jayco Eagle. The workmanship is superior to many others I have looked at and had experience with.

I recently purchased a 2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS and love it we did op for the queen bed for more room.

4. Banned
    Grand Design makes decent Rv's you have a dealer not far away in Carthage MO (Coachlight RV)

5. Member
    We bought a grand design reflection 5th wheel last year. So far so good.

6. Member
    I just sold my 2015 Keystone Outback 277RL. The only problem I had with it was sun fading on the front cap despite the fact I kept it covered most of the time.. Everything else about the camper was solid and gave me no problems. Well designed and quality materials.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    I have a Jayco 317 RLOC and have really enjoyed it. If you think you might want to pull a boat behind you probably want something on the shorter side.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

8. Member
    Thor and Keystone own most of the brands. None are good but some better than others.....QC is not a term used in the RV world until you get up to the very high end coaches. Jayco, Montana and Denali are all decent on a relative basis.

9. Banned
    Space is space. If you get the outdoor kitchen, you lose space somewhere else. Shop the different models online and look at their floor plans. Narrow it down to the floor plans you like and go look in person.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    Grand Design makes decent Rv's you have a dealer not far away in Carthage MO (Coachlight RV)
    Will probably go to Springfield Mo. RVWorld...will check out your suggestion though.

thanks for all the input...right now it looks like it would be a Keystone or Forrest River....

Forest River
    Ricky Rutherford
    2017 Legend V20
    2017 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    I have a 2017 FR Rockwood Ultralight travel trailer that is built very well and is very nice and comfortable. I camp in it at the lake at least 16 weeks a year. The Rockwood 5th wheel are built the same. My two camping buddies both have Keystone Cougar 5th wheel and are top notch also and IMO are comparable to my RW. The Grand Design might be a slight cut above the RW and Keystones. Appliances and air conditioners are basically the same among all brands

Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Thor and Keystone own most of the brands. None are good but some better than others.....QC is not a term used in the RV world until you get up to the very high end coaches. Jayco, Montana and Denali are all decent on a relative basis.
    Keystone is owned by Thor Industries. Forest River is the other big player.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Keystone is owned by Thor Industries. Forest River is the other big player.
    Forest River is owned by Berkshire Hathaway

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Forest River is owned by Berkshire Hathaway
    Yes sir.

We have a new Forest River Cedar Creek Hathaway edition and we love it. Its 42' and literally is amazing. This is our 3rd RV abd this one blows the other 2 away. We have about every feature you could imagine. Build quality seems to be solid. Love the layout too. Glad we bought it.

18. Banned
    As far as brands go, we went with Grand Design in 2015 on a mid size Reflection 36' fifth wheel with a bunkhouse, outside kitchen and 4 slides. The company was just one year old at the time, and has taken the retail market by a storm. Since then, the original owners sold out to Winnebego, another fine company.

Of Forrest River's brands, I do like Cedar Creek. But otherwise I wouldn't want to go with them. Forget calling Warren Buffett if you have a product warranty complaint.

My first question is what kind of truck do you have to tow a fifth wheel? I have a 3/4 ton diesel with air bags, and I'm limited to 2500 lbs. on the kingpin. My fifth wheel weights 11K lbs. dry, and the kingpin weight is 2K dry. In other words, I'm max'd out.

Any of the full size fifth wheel trailers will have 3000+ lb. kingpin weights and total weights of 14.5k+ lbs. which means a 1 ton dually is required.

2017 3/4 silverado diesel....pulls a cattle trailer 12,000 lbs ok.

20. Member
    I know your SRW diesel will pull just about any trailer well, but what is legal is the question. Rear axle weight rating will usually be the sore spot.

As far as what to look for, do what my wife and I did. We went to 1/2 dozen rv dealers from Tulsa to Springfield and told salesmen we were not buying yet and just needed to see what we wanted. You will be goo-goo eyed for a while with all the shiny stuff, but after we got home each time, we made notes. In the end, we know what we want now and it isn't what we started with at all.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast