Question Echomap 73SV shutting down when running in rough water.

We ran Hartwell the other day in some rough water, not real bad but a little bouncy. The Echomap would just shut off. I'd reach up, hit the power button, it would boot and in a couple of minutes, would do it again. Did this about 6 times before I just left it off until we slowed down and in calmer waters.

In calmer water or while actually fishing, the unit had no problems. Worked like a champ. When heading back in to the ramp the lake had settled down to just a mild chop, and no problems with the unit.

Checked all the wiring at the power source and checked the cables both power and ducer at the cradle. They checked fine.

Anyone have any ideas at what else to check... For all I know, it may never do it again.

2. Member
    Does the power cable push on or screw on?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    I had this problem with my 73DV. First, make sure both cords are pushed in all the way on the back of the unit. Second, use some electrical cleaner and dielectric grease on the plugs. That solved my issues with shutting down in rough water.

Does the power cable push on or screw on?
    Screw On..

First, make sure both cords are pushed in all the way on the back of the unit. Second, use some electrical cleaner and dielectric grease on the plugs.
    Excellent Information! I will give that a shot.

Little update...

After cleaning all contacts, and adding a little dielectric grease, unit still was shutting down when hitting choppy water.

Got Garmin on the phone, and we ran a couple of tests. With the unit in the cradle and powered up he had me wiggle the power connector in all directions. Unit stayed on. Trying to simulate some rough water conditions, I gently tapped the top of the unit.

BINGO... System failed. Unit completely shut down.

The support rep said they have had some issues with the cradles, and was shipping a new one to me free of charge! Good customer service in my book...

I'm just wondering if moisture is penetrating into the cradle from the back side where the transducer and power connector plugs in. It appears to be a panel held in with 4 tiny screws to the cradle unit. I'm giving it serious thought of sealing that with a little of clear silicone. Anyone else done this?

6. Member
    I have the same problem with my 73DV. works fine till I move to new spot, shuts down nearly every time.

7. Member
    Same problem with my 93, slight chop and off she goes....probably something with the cradle