help with why i lost top speed

I have a 2016 merc 150 fourstroke on a 195 txw. I lost speed before and got prop work done and gained my speed back. But I have lost it again, I should be doing 60 and i am only doing 50. I just put a new prop, same exact prop as before, because i thought maybe my prop was shot, but it didn't help much. I'm running 5400 rpm and have no problem with the hole shot. My boat did start taking on water after very rough conditions on Toledo bend and my top speed has not been where it should be since that trip. Also, it could just be my imagination but my motor sounds more high pitched than it did before. any help?

2. Member
    Water logged foam used for floatation?
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

3. Member
    Following

In the fall I went out and was 10mph slower, but it was raining hard, assumed it was just wet and heavy. Fast forward to this spring, boats dry, 10mph hasnt came back.

I tried different props thinking maybe my prop was the issue, same problem. Checked with a level to see if the weight distribution was the issue, nope runs level on plane. Thought maybe bad fuel, testing that theory now and will post results...

Took a level to the bottom of my boat and woah...theres waves alll over the bottom, theres a minor hook, and a major dip...

Talked to my dealer, he has taken pics and is sending it in for warranty...hopefully they fix it, not that that will drop me 10mph, but its a possibility

4. Member
    You’re not alone LOL!
    im gonna be frowned upon but these boats are the biggest Pile of....
    im been chasing my speed back for a while and never found it.
    #1 thing to check!! Your trim, take to dealer and have them make sure you are getting the full 20*
    i checked myself with an angle finder. They’re 5$ at harbor freight. We don’t have access to computers but we can trouble shoot.
    i took my boat to lake, ran it up top speed and full trim. Right away loaded it on trailer, never touched trim. Put angle finder on cav plate and record your measurement. Then lower the motor all the way down and record. You should end up with 20*
    i went to plowing as well and and found I was only getting 16* total trim.
    Trust me these engines have had trim troubles since day 1.

these boats came with a 24 tempest, Mercury’s quality control on even pitched tempest are horrendous.
    Some of the 24s has a LOT of cupping, some have very little. These boats need that cupping. I tried a 23 tempest it wanted to bow lift where my original tempest stern lifted more (hence the trailing edge cup). These hulls don’t respond well to a lot of bow lift.

#3 good luck! Still haven’t found my speed back. I’ve thrown a 24 bravo 1, the original non vented with flare and it’s the best driving prop I’ve found. Top speed is around 55. ived added a 4” jack plate as well.

Taking on water, you probably cracked it some where. Put the plug in, put the water hose in the boat under your fuel tank and start filling and watch for leaks. Transom problems plagued the 2016 models. I’m on my 2nd boat. The first one lasted a day. Missed keel welds from factory. Then 8 months later the transom cracked. I can only hope everyone who ones a tracker 195 they’re boats all start falling apart and tracker is some how forced to buy them all back

5. Member
    I've had that situation as well. Ran about 65 brand new when unloaded with the factory prop. Prop was a dog so I went to a 4 blade michigan. Ran about 57 loaded but only about 5100 rpm. Got the prop worked on by croxton and re-pitched a little bit. Now its running 52-5300 rpm but only topping out about 53, just me no livewell. Wondering if its bad fuel or something else going on .
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    Michigan wheel props are garbage. Spin up the factory prop and I bet you get your speed back

My issue was bad fuel n prop. Shes back to where it was

7. Banned
    Why are you guys running 24 pitch props if your rpm is low it is proped wrong.

8. Member
    did this fix the issue?

9. Member
    it was running great with that prop.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzebacksmb View Post
    Michigan wheel props are garbage. Spin up the factory prop and I bet you get your speed back

My issue was bad fuel n prop. Shes back to where it was
    I tried out a ton of props, the Michigan was the best performing for me.

Thinking I might try to do a big weight reduction and get rid of the piles of stuff in my boat that I don't need.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    After a run on the water how much water drains from the transom drain plug? Some to a lot, then you have a leak or are taking water over the transom.

Does your boat weigh more now than when new? Then something may be holding water within the boat, maybe flotation foam, compartments in the bilge.

I'm thinking weight over prop as your issue.

What was your top rpm when new?