2018 H20B with Yamaha VMAX 150 - Running on muffs

Folks,

I always flush the engine after being on the water via the flush hose but used muffs for the 1st time today and only let it run about 30 seconds as I did not get any water out of the tell tale so shut it off. I think I saw another thread on here that it can take several minutes for this engine to start to pee when in the water?? Also, found that some motors have thermostats that have to heatup before water fully moves through the engine?

I'm not a very experienced boater so was cautious vs sorry. Pic of boat attached.

Please advise.

Thanks...Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. U.S. Navy, Retired
    It does take a little bit for the water to come out. Like you said, the thermostat will cause that. I started my Tracker w/60 Merc for the first time this year with muffs and I had the same situation. I ran it for a bit till I got nervous, shut her off for a bit and ran her again, then the waterworks started. Make sure muffs cover all the intakes and only turn your water pressure to about half of max. Watched some vids on YouTube about too much water pressure from hose can cause bad stuff to happen. I believe it had something to do with a gasket...? Anyway, when in doubt: Go to YouTube! lol! No need to re-invent the wheel. Take Care!
    2019 LUND 1875 Pro-V Bass XS
    2019 200 Merc V6

3. Member
    Your not going to get muffs to seal good enough to blow anything apart, the only way you could would be to use a c clamp and plug all the outlets. More often than not they don't seal good enough and cook the pump. YouTube can be a good source but as everything with the net you better use a common sense filter. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    I had a pretty good seal. Just looking to know if I should expect water immediately out of tell tale or if it takes a minute or two for engine to heat up before water comes out of tell tale?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbogle View Post
    I had a pretty good seal. Just looking to know if I should expect water immediately out of tell tale or if it takes a minute or two for engine to heat up before water comes out of tell tale?
    It should come out Immediately. When you drop it in the lake it should start peeing almost instantly. Nothing to do with the stat opening. If you have it on the hose and it doesn't seal good enough with the muffs to fill the block and build a bit of pressure the pump either is cavitating or not seeing water at all. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    It should come out Immediately. When you drop it in the lake it should start peeing almost instantly. Nothing to do with the stat opening. If you have it on the hose and it doesn't seal good enough with the muffs to fill the block and build a bit of pressure the pump either is cavitating or not seeing water at all. CJ
    This.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX