End of may St. Clair help

Hey guys, i know that most do not like to share much info and i fully respect that. At the end of may i will be attending a KBF kayak tournament on St. Clair, ( hopefully as it is 6 days before my wife is due with our 3rd child) any way with the life events my prefishing time is tied up getting a nursery ready, prepping for another little one etc. I also do not have the ability to "run and gun" or cover miles upon miles of water. It has been years since i was on St. Clair and i have 0 way points anymore, would anyone be able to help with even a little info for that time frame. Im assuming they will be in all stages of the spawn , and the norm tubes, drop shot, Ned etc. But if anyone has a little more than that they would share i would surely appreciate it!!

thank you in advance for any help!

2. Member
    I don't know who would organize a kayak tourney on LSC. I know it's a great fishery, but it's just plain unsafe for kayakers that aren't use to that lake. If the wind is up that weekend maybe it's a good time to stay home with your pregnant wife and be there for her. We just had our third and I know how sacred our fishing time is.

As far as pointers: Anchor up to a rock pile and soak a drop shot all day.You'll get waves of fish that come in throughout the day. Or tow a tube around with the wind, paddle back up and do it again. Tough lake to fish in a kayak. Good luck and be safe!!!

3. Member
    we travel all over, there are tournaments out on lake Erie, i just got back from Guntersville last week. There are most definitely some safety aspects, we just have to use our heads a little more ha ha.

I will try to find some rock piles and try that!

4. Member
    Maybe not what you want to hear but you will be hours away if the call comes and those 3rd babies can happen fast. Your name will be in the crapper for life if you miss the birth of your child for a fishing tourney and may put a permanent stain on your fishing in her eyes. I know it would have for my lovely bride.

I'll be up there with my 14 year old that same time. i'm a newbie as well and will jsut have to hunt and peck and try to find some fish. Be careful no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver View Post
    Maybe not what you want to hear but you will be hours away if the call comes and those 3rd babies can happen fast. Your name will be in the crapper for life if you miss the birth of your child for a fishing tourney and may put a permanent stain on your fishing in her eyes. I know it would have for my lovely bride.

I'll be up there with my 14 year old that same time. i'm a newbie as well and will jsut have to hunt and peck and try to find some fish. Be careful no matter what you do.
    Good advice here. I’d skip the tournament and stay with the wife.

6. Member
    Stay in metro park, catch largies. I wouldn’t get out on a kayak at all.

is this a pick your launch tourney? If so, launch on harsens and fish the moot.

If not, where are you launching?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

8. Member
    we can launch at any public launch.

9. Member
    There are days where the wind will make it absolutely unsafe in a kayak on St Clair....its a whole other beast than Gville. However, there are days that are slick calm and kayaks will be fine. Also, there are lots of canals and even a couple rivers coming into it you can fish. The Selfridge ramp comes to mind as a good area for kayaks, depending on the wind. Metro Park would be off the main lake...lots of canals and largemouth in there. The smallies will still be shallow then...if you can get out on the main lake early and beat the crowd, wind, and waves you'll be able to chase some smallies. I like the idea mentioned above about drifting with the wind dragging a tube or drop shot....4 inch swimbaits can be killer too. Just find grass or rock piles and they'll be there!

10. Banned
    There many, many days I don’t want to take my 20 foot skeeter out there. I can count a total of 1 day, out of the 50 Trips ive made on that lake, that I would even remotely be out there in a kayak. Lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    There many, many days I don’t want to take my 20 foot skeeter out there. I can count a total of 1 day, out of the 50 Trips ive made on that lake, that I would even remotely be out there in a kayak. Lol
    Especially on a weekend!

Sent you a PM....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex