Thread: Hellgrammites

Hellgrammites

Do any of you folks use them? Pros and cons? Thanks

Those things looks so nasty I've never touched one. I've always heard they're great smallie bait though.

3. Member
    Only bait I use when creek fishing, catches everything that swims. Never used them bass fishing.

4. Member
    I would use them only in shallow moving water. I doubt a lake fish has ever seen one.

Smallmouth in riffle-run-pool creeks and rivers eat an awful lot of them. It always pays to have a "centipede" or hellgrammite pattern on the float trips I take back home...or used to take I suppose, haven't got to do it for a long time. I'm guessing the Guadalupe bass in the OPs neck of the woods are very similar.

Agree that most lake fish or even big river fish probably haven't seen them. That said, they're buggy looking and snack-sized for bass. Fishing with live ones or a hellgrammite imitation will work for bass anywhere I'm sure.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    They bite.

Used to catch them in the river for my Grandfather when I was a kid.
    He would use them for smallmouth.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

8. Member
    Don't tell anyone but in the summer up here dropshotting a Case Hellgrammite can be a killer.

9. Member
    Any specific color or colors? Do they have a reddish color to them? Don't know if the bass in south Texas would know what they are. I'm all about showing these fish something new, getting away from the same old stuff.

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    River fishing for smallies. BEST bait going except for stone cats.

Amazing bait in free flowing rivers and streams. A prime example is the Cahaba River in Alabama from Centreville north upstream. The river has calm pools between series of shallow shoals and slight rapids. Using a wire screen to hold down stream, turn over rocks in shallows, You will often catch 2 in the screen for every one you find still hanging onto the rock, so the screen is important. I build a 24"x24" frame of 2"x2" lumber to stretch a screen across and put a handle on it. That way I can stand down stream from the rock and hold the screen in place with my legs as I bend over and turn the rock over facing upstream. It seems like any rough fish in the calm pools will bite them, catfish, drum etc. But, cast them along the bank or upstream to any current breaking cover on a weedless hook with splitshot weight and spotted and redeye bass will readily grab them out of the current as they drift by. Spent many days in my youth wading that cool river doing just this.

12. Member
    Used them when I was younger for smallmouth. Smallies eat them like candy and the dang things are tough as nails. You can usually get multiple fish on one.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

13. Banned
    Absolutely the best smallmouth bait for the New River. It will catch every smallie out there. They will bite the blood out of your finger if they get the chance but it is worth it. Hook them under the throat collar and they will live forever and the fish can't hardly get them off.

14. Member
    Yep, one of the best smallmouth creeks baits you can use. Things used to scare the hell outta me when I was a kid. We'd use a seine and turn rocks over and let them get washed into it. Can catch a few bass on each one....tough lil dudes.