Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Performance issue/concern

Ok guys could use some help. Been having performance issues.

My set up is charger 797 Honda 250 tempest 25p prop

One day struggle to get on pad was taking 20plus seconds to crest over on pad then struggled to get up to speed and could only reach 50. Normal speed is 54ish with full load 2 guys best is 58 full load 2 guys.

Next day everything the same on pad in 4-5sec and a top speed of 56-57? What can cause this shop has no recommendations. Granted they are not a bass boat dealer they deal mostly in pontoons

Thanks

Duff
    SEAGUAR

2. Member
    How many RPM's do you turn when at wot? The jack plate you run is it manual or hydraulic? How high are you running prop to pad?

Not sure about your hull, but with MY Phoenix 721 I can hit the limiter with a worked 25 Tempest so now I'm trying to work a 26 Tempest. My guess would be you are running low on the jack plate and that might be the cause of both performance issues.

If you look back at some of my past posts with stock props I had to run low because the out of box props had a lot of slip,but after working the props I could run higher and both my time to plane and top end speeds were greatly improved.

I have found the Honda's in general are just very hard to fine tune for bass boats because of the gear ratio. They are a awesome outboard and I love mine, but I have no clue why they make them with 2.00:1 gears???

For me it's kind of like I can turn as big of pitch prop as I want and hit rpm's well over 6000 but the big props won't come out of hole good. With any other outboards with 1.75:1 gears if you can get within 200 or 300 rpms of limiter you jump up on plane. The Honda for me kind of needs a 24 or 25 to get on plane and then a 26 or 27 when on plane lol. So thats why I keep blueprinting and working props in that 25 to 26 pitch range.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I would start with a new set of plugs!!

I had a 150 that one day wouldn’t come out of the hole and it was a fouled plug.

Should also check your fuel filter there is 3 I believe one being back on in the engine
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 05-02-2019 at 05:17 PM.

5. Member
    I have a hydraulic jp starting all the way up trimmed all the way down on both days. The fuel filters were just changed and a new set of plugs with in 2 weeks of the issues slow day was Saturday ok day was Sunday. Gas was bought at the same gas station same pump to be exact.

On Saturday rpm would hit 3k and slowly climb up to 5kish Sunday I was hitting 5900-6100 wot I did not pay attention to the rpm when taking off as it came on pad as normal. When running wot I am normally 16 on the JP and 75 trim. Can't verify h2o pressure right now waiting on new gauge to show up.
    SEAGUAR

6. Member
    With only 75% trim and not jacked all the way up I understand why top rpm's were only 5900- 6100 on Sunday, but if running it at the same trim and jack setting Saturday I have no Idea why it would turn 1000 less rpm's. Sounds like you need to bring it to a dealer to plug it in to see if it left a code.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Have you checked to see if all your plugs are firing?

8. Member
    No I have not. Same issues today morning ran "normal" then struggled to get on pad halfway through the day. How do you recommend checking spark? I have a plug light that normally hooks up to the plug and plug wire but this will not work with the Honda set up.
    SEAGUAR

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    When I had an issue with my 150, I just pulled the coil and put a spare plug in and then cranked it to see if it sparked. You must ground the plug to something on the engine.
    But if it is only doing it later in the day, thats confusing.

10. Member
    It's not just later in the day it is just random sometimes runs alright sometimes it's a complete dog and never know when I turn the key what it's going to do.

I did run much higher in the water JP17 and trimmed to 80 still only for to 55mph wot. This was the settings I ran all weekend.

Will check spark just to make sure but I would assume if one or more were not igniting I would not hit 6k rpm.
    SEAGUAR

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    True

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Any Honda dealer should be able to fix the problem bass boat or not.

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Yea if you could get it on a computer and check everything out

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    G and G marine at loz are a Honda service center

15. Member
    Cool I took it to a Honda service dealer and they had nothing for me. 98 miles is the closest shop for me. Use to be 25 miles but they quit servicing Honda
    SEAGUAR

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Nothing as they didnt see anything wrong with it on the computer?

17. Member
    Well I can not say for sure that they actually hooked it up to a computer. I did not receive any info from them. But on a side note they did not charge me for filter change or topping off hyd steering oil, I dropped it off for recall and to have the performance issues looked at. Should I receive a print out of what the computer shows? They also said no updates to the computer. How often do updates come out?
    SEAGUAR

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Duffy, did you get it running like it should again??

If so what did they find?

19. Member
    No the last shop said they put it on the computer but can not tell me anything. Waiting to have time to drive 3 hours to the dealer/service center TOC recommended. But 3 hours is tough especially when I'm working 6 days a week 10hr days.
    SEAGUAR

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Keep us posted on what you hear!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast