Any issues with dock rash for 1880?

Maybe it's just from the pictures, but it looks like the bend between the front cleat and rear cleat will hit docks with bumpers. Especially if you're pulling into the dock. Is that the case or just my imagination?

Recommend a 3rd cleat slightly forward of the console?

2. Member
    On my last trip to the lake with my 1980, I had to pull in to the dock to pick up my wife at an angle as other boats were blocking a a typical parallel docking. The part of the boat just under the AVX 1980 logo which is dark gray touched the oxidized white dock bumper and left a white mark that wiped right off. So, like docking any shape boat care must be taken to touch docks gently.

An extra cleat could be added to that middle location fairly easily if one felt it necessary.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 05-01-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

Order some touch-up paint is all I can say. The lake and river that I fish has suspect docks. They really aren't a priority to keep maintained. Mostly guys going fishing with very little pleasure boaters(at least where I launch from). Even with bumpers I have several spots from 1980 logo forward to the bow that I have nicked up.. With the dark grey and tin, a scratch really jumps out. Honestly where I get most of my scratches is right on the bow where the grey starts. I have a dock that I use often and it is lower than the bow of the boat and 90% you only have room to nose in to tie off. Thinking the Ulterra and PP's will fix all the dock rash, just need to convince my wife of that.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Member
    Hmmm, I ordered some 6.5"x23" bumpers. The bumpers have eyes on both ends. My plan is to lay them horizontal instead of vertical. Hope that is sufficient. Tomorrow is 8 weeks!

5. Member
    Guys check out dock sticks.. seen a video about them the other day. Pretty neat product, I’m thinking about ordering a set. I’ve put a few scuffs on my 1980 already and wanted to cry, but that’s part of it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illianahunter95 View Post
    Guys check out dock sticks.. seen a video about them the other day. Pretty neat product, I’m thinking about ordering a set. I’ve put a few scuffs on my 1980 already and wanted to cry, but that’s part of it.
    ^^^This. I have a set and they are the best thing made for docking a boat, IMO.

https://www.dockstix.com/

7. Banned
    Dockstix are your answer.

8. Member
    I don't see how dock Stix help getting onto the dock. Seems cool when you're stable at the dock though. I was going to order those bungy type cords to secure at the dock.

Is this a temporary or permanent setup?

If it's permanent a set of whips will do the job if it's a one sided dock.

If you pull into a U type dock then it's easy, just tie the boat to the corners.

Any type of bumpers will eventually rub the paint.

10. Member
    I put together some DIY dockstix. Likely not as refined as the real Dockstix but works well so far.

20190505_082720.jpg
    20190505_082732.jpg