Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    First suspect when having an intermittent issue is always cables and connections. I've been plagued with this issue previously. I used Caig Deoxit and sponge tipped Q-tips to scrub the contacts on both the cable and the unit. Then applied some dielectric grease. It's been months now since I had this problem and I fish 4-5 times a week.

Dadof4: Voltage readings all over the place is an issue you will need to address. Check your connections. Voltage should not jump around. A lot of people have had concerns about low voltage. Most of the manuals show the input voltage as being 10-32 vdc. That's a fairly wide range.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    First suspect when having an intermittent issue is always cables and connections. I've been plagued with this issue previously. I used Caig Deoxit and sponge tipped Q-tips to scrub the contacts on both the cable and the unit. Then applied some dielectric grease. It's been months now since I had this problem and I fish 4-5 times a week.

Dadof4: Voltage readings all over the place is an issue you will need to address. Check your connections. Voltage should not jump around. A lot of people have had concerns about low voltage. Most of the manuals show the input voltage as being 10-32 vdc. That's a fairly wide range.
    Well it got me again today.....no transducer found and then attempted a hard restart when support called me back and the sonar option was not available after that. Going to pull everything out and trace all the wires, check the block where all the wires plug in again. Somethings gotta give.
    Support stated nobody on file has had this problem.......yeah right, but they did say they can sell me a new transducer to solve the problem. I feel like every since I updated on May 1st I’ve had issues since, never an issue before that, but who knows maybe a gremlin crawled in my boat barn.

3. Member
    This is a very annoying and frustrating problem. I had it for at least a month. Sometimes it showed on bootup. Other times after fishing for an hour or two it would show up. I fish a lot. Sometimes rebooting would help. Sometimes unplugging and replugging the network cable would resolve it. It's possible it could be flaky hardware. It's less likely to be software. The software is the same for everybody who is using the latest update. I was running a network, first connected through a GCV20, later through a GMS10. For me, the solution was to literally scrub the connections on both the cable ends and the unit connection with Deoxit and putting dielectric grease on them resolved it. The sponge Q-tips worked very well in making sure that I got in and around the pins. There's nothing sacred about Deoxit. You just need a cleaner that is effective and safe.

I read on here of some situations where Garmin replaced either the unit or the GMS10 or the transducer. It's a difficult situation to diagnose precisely and quickly. We are glad to try and help on here but you really need to lock in with a person at Garmin support to minimize the process and keep it documented what you have done so that if they need to replace any equipment you can minimize the down time. I like their email process better than over the phone. It's more convenient for me and everything is well documented. Product.Support@garmin.com
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    That’s a good idea to get an email log going with them discussing the issue. I’m at work for 4 days so I’ll be hands off until next week. My luck when I get home it will show up again, but either way, I’m tearing it apart and cleaning them up to check the boxes.

5. Member
    A couple of questions to those with the transducer not connected issue.

If you hit the Home button, is the Panoptix tile present for selection or does the tile disappear?

If the Panoptix tile is present, what happens when you select it?

6. Member
    Something else to do and I don't know why it works is to put the unit into Simulator mode for a minute then take it back out. There's some kind of cleanup stuff that goes on when you do this and I have seen it solve this problem.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    A couple of questions to those with the transducer not connected issue.

If you hit the Home button, is the Panoptix tile present for selection or does the tile disappear?

If the Panoptix tile is present, what happens when you select it?
    Sometimes it has the sonar tile and will show LiveVu and Front Scope but says no transducer connection. Then I do a hard start and the sonar tab disappears.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Something else to do and I don't know why it works is to put the unit into Simulator mode for a minute then take it back out. There's some kind of cleanup stuff that goes on when you do this and I have seen it solve this problem.
    Tried it the other day on the water while talking with support......Nada.

Here’s what worked for me this weekend. Started up the LS before turning anything else on. Then turned everything thing else.

Ran perfectly two days in a row!
    18 Ranger 521L 50th Anniversary Ed /Evinrude G2 250HO

10. Member
    Ok so here’s how I got the problem fixed for good.
    Got off duty and went home and open up the bow of my Ranger and dug into where I had my wiring blocks for all my electronics connected up and networked. Cleaned every power connection from the GPS antenna, hydro wave and both my 7610’s that I have running up front. Made sure all my wires had a nice clean connection, tested my power blocks volts and amps to make sure I was in the green. All looked good so I started plugging everything back in and...........my Panoptix transducer was a no show to the party.
    So I called Garmin again and explained my 4 prior calls and the transducer ghosting on me every other trip and the guy on the phone said the magic words.........You’ve done everything you can do here, I’m shipping you a new PS-22 next day air on us and giving you a prepaid shipping label to send the other one back.
    Plugged the new one in and..........bam back in business. Sometimes I guess it goes from little broke to just giving it up over a few month. Tomorrow will be the real test on the water.
    Thats why I’ll pay a little more for the service of a product. Garmin got me for life this week.

11. Member
    Excellent! I love hearing a company you are vested in has your back. I'm dropping a pile of $ in my new setup, glad to know that if something goes wrong, Garmin will take care of me! Glad you got taken care of. Looking forward to the report!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Excellent! I love hearing a company you are vested in has your back. I'm dropping a pile of $ in my new setup, glad to know that if something goes wrong, Garmin will take care of me! Glad you got taken care of. Looking forward to the report!
    The report is, fish were located using the new transducer pitched to and landed. Love the video game fishing it offers.
    Last edited by Dadof4; 06-15-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: cut off

13. Member
    Well after working flawlessly last time out today it took 5 power ups and downs and reconnecting power cable. Not sure if stowing and deploying the Livescope helped but it seemed to work and then not work and when redeployed worked.

i did notice that the male power connector on the gls10 lock nut to the black box sticks out a little more than the lock nut on the Ethernet and Xdcr connections . Not sure if this is cause but I do notice that the slide on power connection is really not a locked on connection . Even with the collar tightened I can pull it loose. I am going to install a backup collar to see if it will snug it real tight. Will clean contacts again too. And yes the river was rough so secure connections are critical after running.

I am resolved it’s the power connection even if it feels like it’s snug it really is not.
    Need an upgrade for the connection hardware. The xdcr collar would be a good one to replicate.

PS once it stayed on caught all of my bass with Livescope <6’ and pre-/emergent grass.
    Last edited by MDBASSNPRO; 06-15-2019 at 09:03 PM.

14. Member
    I was having this issue, both before last software update and post update, it got progressively worse even after trying every suggestion on this board. My GLS10 box would slow flash 3 reds in a row, then pause and repeat. After the 1:20 hold for tech support, the actual support was great, we troubleshot it briefly, told them what all I have tried and Garmin is overnighting me a new transducer, GLS10 box, and new transducer extension cable, basically a whole new system exchange. To me that is Garmin admitting the problem is hardware related (or not updatable software) somewhere but they are not sure where. Pleased with Garmins response, the hour+ hold times are poor though.

Kinda frustrating when you call Garmin about this and they act like they have never heard it before.

I personally think its a hardware problem that causes low voltage. Bad pin or corrosion.

16. Member
    Garmin has great customer service. I've been on the phone with tech support, and product support twice, and they took care of me both times shipping to me overnight. Oh and their customer service isn't farmed out to some overseas call center. Great American's serving us....

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof4 View Post
    Got off duty and went home and open up the bow of my Ranger and dug into where I had my wiring blocks for all my electronics connected up and networked. Cleaned every power connection from the GPS antenna, hydro wave and both my 7610’s that I have running up front. Made sure all my wires had a nice clean connection, tested my power blocks volts and amps to make sure I was in the green. All looked good so I started plugging everything back in and...........my Panoptix transducer was a no show to the party.
    So I called Garmin again and explained my 4 prior calls and the transducer ghosting on me every other trip and the guy on the phone said the magic words.........You’ve done everything you can do here, I’m shipping you a new PS-22 next day air on us and giving you a prepaid shipping label to send the other one back.
    Plugged the new one in and..........bam back in business. Sometimes I guess it goes from little broke to just giving it up over a few month. Tomorrow will be the real test on the water.
    Thats why I’ll pay a little more for the service of a product. Garmin got me for life this week.

This is a Panoptix problem too? Thought only the Livescope

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof4 View Post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234