GPS Fix not taking on my Gen 1 HDS-7

Each time I load the latest software (unit off; insert SD card with downloaded software file; turn unit on) I get an error. It doesn't get past the initial Lowrance boot scree. The screen looks the same as normal but there is an error message across the middle under, "Seize the Day". It reads: "ERROR: No or unsupported GPS detected."

It locks up and then I just have to turn off main power to get it to shut off. When I remove the SD card with the update, it loads normally.

I checked the current software on the unit - I'm running 4.1.36.68

FYI, I was able to update my HDS-7 Gen 2 Touch without issue. Time is restored on that unit.

Please let me know if anyone has any tips or thoughts on why my Gen 1 HDS7 isn't taking the update.

Thank you!
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Member
    One of my fishin' buddies and I both are seeing the same thing with both our HDS 7 Gen1's.

Our unit's have the same software version as yours.

He spent an hour on the phone with a Lowrance 2nd level tech. The Lowrance tech also could not install the Gen1 GPS patch update on 2 of their Gen1 units.

Looks like Lowrance released a Gen1 patch without testing it on the intended target hardware.
    Last edited by 184SuperV; 05-01-2019 at 12:49 PM.

3. Member
    Well that’s a bummer. I also tried to update my software to the version before they released the GPS time fix patch. That didn’t work either. Guess I’ll contact Lowrance.

4. Member
    I just went through the same thing my self my my Gen2’s, after 2 weeks of many attempts I finally got both my units updated and working, all I did was used a different computer than I had been using.

5. Member
    Leave the unit powered up with the error ( No GPS DETECTED ) for 30 min. Unplug power pull card and power back up. I have updated 2 units this way. It makes no sence

21 XD 225 Merc

6. Member
    Well, I just had one heck of a poor experience with Lowrance's "tech" support. After a very long and fractured conversation trying to get my serial number and my email address, I explained the issue to the "tech". She proceeded to email me a link to the Lowrance update section of the website! I had already explained to her that I used the website to download software updates for both my HDS-7 Gen 2 Touch and my HDS-7 Gen 1 (non-touch), and that I successfully updated my touch unit but was having trouble updating the older non-touch unit. I also made it clear that I used an SD card with nothing on it except the software update for the non-touch gen 1 unit. Here's what happened next:

-long pause.....suddenly I'm no longer speaking with the "tech". Instead I'm being asked to complete a quick survey of my experience with the call center.
    -The first question is, "rank how you feel the level of technical knowledge was of the tech person you spoke withi, 1-5 with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest."
    -As soon as I hit "1", I was disconnected!

I emailed Lowrance tech back using the same email they sent me the weblink on. In that email, I've explained what the issue was and included two screen shots for their review. one is the error message and the other is the "about" page on the unit showing serial number, software application, etc.

We'll see where this goes. Their "tech" clearly isn't tech....it's people who simply steer you to their website for software updates and likely process warranty work. What a joke.

I remember years ago I experienced water intrusion on my original HDS-5 unit. I spoke with a very nice lady who processed my warranty with ease. My how times have changed. And here I was excited about their TM coming out this summer!

I'll post whatever response or assistance I end up getting in this thread. This is probably a simple fix for someone at Lowrance with actual technical knowledge. The front end customer support experience is EXTREMELY lacking however!

SC Bullet- I'm in the process of trying your approach right now.

7. Banned
    I had the exact same thing and even made a post about it. Locked the damn graph up everytime.

Pull the card out.
    Power on, press “menu, then menu” again.
    Scroll down to satellites and select.
    GPS source/configuration (whatever it says) to LOCAL-this unit 7. Select it.
    Make sure you pull your boat out into a clear opening and let the satellites lock. Leave it on the satellites bar graph page and it’ll lock on.

Took me 2 weeks of jacking with mine, but after pulling to a wide open sky, it locked on.

8. Member
    So far, I’ve been able to get the time to show up even though it’s not taking the update. All I keep hearing from Lowrance tech via email is that my serial number is out of warranty. I know this. I’m just trying to load their software update on my unit.
    I guess I’ll just leave the software on there now that it seems to be picking up the correct time and date.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    So far, I’ve been able to get the time to show up even though it’s not taking the update. All I keep hearing from Lowrance tech via email is that my serial number is out of warranty. I know this. I’m just trying to load their software update on my unit.
    I guess I’ll just leave the software on there now that it seems to be picking up the correct time and date.

This is going to sound really stupid, but I have a feeling that your update is really installed even though it’s saying it’s not. Mine did the exact same thing and yet it worked when I actually got it outside in the open.

But again, make sure it’s set to “local”, this graph in the instructions I posted above.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 05-03-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    This is going to sound really stupid, but I have a feeling that your update is really installed even though it’s saving it’s not. Mine did the exact same thing and yet it worked when I actually got it outside in the open.

But again, make sure it’s set to “local”, this graph in the instructions I posted above.
    +1

21 XD 225 Merc

11. Member
    Well, you could be right. The time is working again. But oddly, the software application still shows the old version that was already on there. Lowrance is still emailing me trying to figure it out, so I guess that’s good. And the unit seems to be working properly so I guess it’s fine so long as everything still works when I get back on he water. Have a terrible tennis (fishing) elbow tendinitis thing going on since fishing for redfish two weeks ago!

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Well, you could be right. The time is working again. But oddly, the software application still shows the old version that was already on there. Lowrance is still emailing me trying to figure it out, so I guess that’s good. And the unit seems to be working properly so I guess it’s fine so long as everything still works when I get back on he water. Have a terrible tennis (fishing) elbow tendinitis thing going on since fishing for redfish two weeks ago!

So you go catch a bunch of big redfish and we are supposed to feel sorry for you???

Time comes from the satellites (unless you have a point1 hooked up), it should be good. Mine still shows 4.136 (I think I remembered that right) on it, same as before the update (& after.)

13. Member
    Thanks guys!

Hello is it possible that some HDS 7 Gen 1 do not require the GPS patch? I tried to upgrade it but keep getting "ERROR: No or unsupported GPS detected". I checked and the date and UTC time is correct. I tried GPS Source -> Local, hard reset, download from different computers (windows 7, 10, ubuntu) and wait 30 minutes with the error on screen but I always get the same error.
    tks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloup101 View Post
    Hello is it possible that some HDS 7 Gen 1 do not require the GPS patch? I tried to upgrade it but keep getting "ERROR: No or unsupported GPS detected". I checked and the date and UTC time is correct. I tried GPS Source -> Local, hard reset, download from different computers (windows 7, 10, ubuntu) and wait 30 minutes with the error on screen but I always get the same error.
    tks
    got the same thing but the time corrected. Odd but the time was fixed in spite of the error code.