Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Syntec vs Sparta vs Lancer

Marine carpet 16oz. Are the carpet mfgs above all considered top tier brands?
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

2. Member
    Syntec, hands down
    has best rubber backing,
    thicker and does not come loose.

Look at all the carpets that are shipped free and compare those samples to syntec by bending each sample as if you were working it along a compartment lid. You will notice that free shipped carpets are thin and when you do that to the syntec you will not see the rubber backing....

3. Member
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info

Syntec.....as javelin90 said. Just did my Triton.

5. Member
    When considering installing carpet get syntec samples from Scott at Ranger parts. Currently they have 16 and 24 oz weights. I have done several comparisons between the 16oz syntec and all of the free 20oz shipped carpets. The 16oz carpet made by syntec is almost the same height. In addition the syntec carpet is thicker pile.
    There is a huge difference how carpet weights are sold.
    Carpet weight, is it stated as sheared or not sheared?
    Syntec weight is sheared meaning 16oz is actual 16oz and not before stewing carpet (cut with blades).
    Also a good majority of the free shipped carpets when sheared you will notice the ends are wider and makes it look thicker when it actually is not.
    If your on a budget then the free shipped carpets are good to save money.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Go syntec, best carpet out there.

7. Member
    Kind of hard to tell the difference of 4 once's, 16 vs. 20. Free shipping on carpet??? that's because he buys in bulk, has a good deal set up with a shipping company, so your shipping is built into the price of the carpet, nothing is free. I've installed hundreds of yards of dorcett, Sparta and a some lance. I've put it all in the Az sun, dorcett and sparta hold up the same, lance did not, it was shot in a year. A good carpet that is some what taken care of will last a long time. the one thing that doesn't last is the bonding agent, AKA GLUE. Dirt and other junk that get on it will go through the carpet and degrade the glue. It doesn't matter if it's shipped free or not, if you don't take care of it, it won't take care of you.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

8. Member
    Is there any difference in the way some of these brand carpets have a tendency to flatten out from use would be looking at 16 ounce as easier I believe to cover hatches etc..

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    Is there any difference in the way some of these brand carpets have a tendency to flatten out from use would be looking at 16 ounce as easier I believe to cover hatches etc..
    do yourself a favor go at least 20

10. Member
    The syntec 20oz appears pretty impossible to come by. Looks like I'll have to decide between 16oz and 24oz. BoatID.com seems to have the best pricing on both

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jprovencher80 View Post
    The syntec 20oz appears pretty impossible to come by. Looks like I'll have to decide between 16oz and 24oz. BoatID.com seems to have the best pricing on both

Don't do 24, unless you want to spend hours trimming every lid, what's the point with that? Go 20 with padding on the deck, way better than straight 24. 20 will wrap around lids with ease, 24, not so much and then there's the sticking lids.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

12. Member
    Well, I used 24 and had 3 lids needing trimming, spent a total of 15 minutes doing that. If I had to recarpet again, I would go back with 24 oz Syntec. It is a great carpet. Use wood strips, clamps, etc., on the lids and boxes and compress the carpet and when the glue sets it is tight against the aluminum. If you don't do that you can have a slight bulge on the outside corners and that will make the lids tight.

I did my Triton few months back as ct0218 did his & I didn't have to trim my lids at all, not even one. The carpet on the lids have to be pulled tight, no slack whatsoever. I then held them in place while I put a wood trim on the inside & outside of the lid. Then clamped it with 4 + clamps, depending on the size of the lid. The corners were cut just like factory so no build up with them as that will put slack in the carpet & bind the lids. I replaced all the hinges with stainless hinges although don't know if that made a difference or not. The old, not stainless, hinges flex a lot because of wear (my boat is a 2008 TR21X HP). I used 24oz Syntec & it looks great. I also padded the front & rear deck. Can't believe the difference the padding makes. I was only planning on doing the front deck but my CEO insisted I do the rear after she walked on the front deck. I did this by myself with the exception of my supervisor (CEO) occasionally lending a hand. If you take your time & do it right you will not have any problems with the deck lids. But it has to be done correctly, period. If you plan on keeping your boat for a while I would absolutely go with 24oz Syntec. I got samples from several carpet manufacturers, including BassCat. BassCat does use 24oz Syntec as does Ranger. The other 24oz samples didn't come close to the Syntec.I bought 27 feet from Ranger. It was competitively priced and the shipping was only $50. Course, I'm sure that depends on location. If it fits your budget, go with the 24oz Syntec.
    Last edited by tracer1; 05-21-2019 at 12:01 PM.

14. Member
    I ordered the 16oz syntec in midnight star. If I get it and don't like how it feels I'll send it back and go with the 24oz in storm or charcoal.

15. Member
    I ordered the 16oz syntec in midnight star. If I get it and don't like how it feels I'll send it back and go with the 24oz in storm or charcoal.
    Where is Boatid based out of, what state?
    Shipping is very reasonable....

16. Member
    I think they're based in NJ. Carpet looks like it shipped from GA. I ordered 2 8'x25' rolls. Each roll was $210 and shipping for the pair cost $14. They are scheduled to be delivered Friday

I'm going to use Weldwood contact cement and 3m spray adhesive for the install

17. Member
    Not a bad price for shipping.

18. Member
    Glad you are going with syntec!

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I think they're based in NJ. Carpet looks like it shipped from GA. I ordered 2 8'x25' rolls. Each roll was $210 and shipping for the pair cost $14. They are scheduled to be delivered Friday

I'm going to use Weldwood contact cement and 3m spray adhesive for the install
    you ordered 50 feet?

Few pics of mine ( 24oz Syntec) with deck padding. Also new carpet trim on sides, front & rear, no screws or rivets.
    IMG_0278.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0281.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0286.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast