Tracker steering wheel

Well, I guess that i put a bit too much pressure on my steering wheel today, using it as a grab bar to pull myself up and back down. It appears that the metal ring imbedded in the black plastic has snapped on both sides and I can push and pull the top of the wheel about 4-5 inches--with no resistance. Any suggestions for a replacement? Wood, metal-either stainless or aluminum, plastic? I see a nut under the removeable center cover, but I assume it is a tapered seat and probably needs a gear puller to get it off. Has anyone replaced their wheel and if so what size, offset, shaft size, etc., any info would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I have replaced mine, because I switched to hydraulic steering and wanted a non-directional wheel. I used a gear puller to remove old one, its a tapered shaft with woodruff key. I dont know the specific measurements but pretty much the most common industry standard when it comes to tapered shaft mounted wheels.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

3. Member
    Thanks, I haven't tried to get mine off yet. It is still useable but only if you grab the bottom half of the wheel. Quite a price range based on my research so far. The OEM Tracker wheels are priced fairly high for the quality, they seem to range from $100 t0 $120, so at this point I will probably go with an aftermarket wheel.

4. Member
    I was doing the same thing lifting myself out of the driver's seat using the steering wheel on my Tracker. In addition I was a bit uncomfortable stepping down from the front deck so before I broke the steering wheel or fell coming off the deck I designed and installed a Grab bar that has worked out surprisingly well.

Tracker grab bar3 .jpgTracker grab bar1.jpgTracker grab bar2 base.jpg
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

5. Member
    That is a good idea Joe, especially for someone unsteady on the feet, have a balance problem, knee or hip problems, etc. I'm not there yet, but it is possible down the road for me like most people. Did you build that yourself? looks well made and sturdy. I have an old fishing buddy in Raleigh that really needs one in his boat now. In my case I was just lazy using the wheel to pull myself up! I ordered a Schmitt wheel today, they seem to be well built and have good reviews too. My old wheel was fairly easy to remove, just some penetrating oil soaking for 2 hours on the shaft, and 5 blows with a deadblow hammer on the backside and it popped right off.