Help deciding mid 2000’s 200xl or SS

I am going to start looking for my next boat, I currently have a 1997 285 pro elite with a fast strike 175. I am thinking I will be looking in the 12-18k range. I would like a 19.5 to 21 foot boat, I want two center compartment on the front deck along with the side rod locker compartments. I would like to see a 200-250 motor, hoping to have a tournament loaded boatbcapable of a solid 65mph.

I am am asking for any input on models or suggestions on set ups or what people like and don’t like about these boats.
    Is the ss extreme hulls a lot different than the 200xl hulls. If so is one quicker, better setup etc.

thank you you in advance for the input and info,

2. Member
    I went from a 98 295 pro elite to a 2003 200 Pro XL it rides great compared to the pro elites and fishes great. Stable platform, great storage, handles rough water good and is speed demon if set up right. Being a even 20ft boat I can get really shallow and in standing timber good.

3. Member
    I have a 2004 model 195 ProXL. The 195 and 295 ProXL models are setup like you want. They are 19.5 ft rated for a 200 HP and are low 70 mph boats. The 200 and 201 are great boats that would fit you desires. Personally I would stay away from the OMC SS hulls. There were some issues with them back in the day. Good luck with your search.

4. Member
    The 200 Xl hull is a runner . You will have to drive it set-up correct . It was the old Javelin 400 hull before Stratos brough them. Nice boats.
    They just change the top deck/ lay out and keep the hull .

5. Member
    I have a 2003 200 Pro XL. My buddy has one of the SS Hulls. I have way more storage than he does. In my opinion, the Pro XL is just an all around better boat for what I want. I think my boat rides better. It certainly fishes better. Huge front deck compared to the SS. I think it is as big as the 201 pro xl. The rear deck is a little shorter on mine than the 201 pxl. I see a regular load with just me at an easy 72mph with a 225 VMAX and 25p Fury. Plugged 2 of the vent holes more than half way shut to stop it from blowing out. Now it comes out of the hole like it is being shot out of a cannon. Need to order 3 of the vent plugs with a larger opening but I haven't gotten around to it et.
    Last edited by WVTERP; 06-04-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

The original Stinson/Bentz hull debuted in 93 and set speed records. I owned a 93, 95 and 07 201 and the later 2000 - 200's are actually heavier versions of the original hull. That being said, I preferred the added 7" of the later 201 and the added length gave it better manners at speed. The 20's where a handful back in the day and could get very loose in the seat but where drivable. My 93 with 225 XP spun a 26 Raker 1 to 6300 rpms with GPS speed of 78. My 95 pro deck with 200 Vindicator was only a 70 MPH machine. My 07 with 225 Etec hit 74 spinning a 27 Tempest but never got loose. Could sip a coffee with hands off wheel but it was dialed in for that. Could have raised the fixed jack plate for a few more MPH but 74 was fast enough.

Negatives the late model 200's...Smaller nose so fitting updated trolling motors is not easy. They will not fit clean, either too much off the nose or angled to bang docks when up. Other than that...It's just a few inches shorter up front.

The SS hull was the brain child of the first owner post OMC sale. It was massaged back into the XL which was my favorite model...2005 thru 2008 201 XL. Never got excited over the EVO and still do not like the single oversized box. I see this a boat companies saving money because they are heavy and it becomes painful digging stuff out.

One last negative...They are not making parts any longer...This could pose an issue down the road as existing parts continue to become scarce. This is mostly a problem for the custom molded dash and bow panels.

If I was buying another Stratos I would opt for XL model, preferably 05-08 201.