Talon on/off switch

Has anyone installed an on/off switch for their Talons? I have 12 footers which are not Bluetooth and have the old style quick connects. I talked to Minn Kota yesterday and they don't make and/or don't have those anymore...only the newer ones which will not work on my Talons. A guy in my club has a new Nitro with Talons and he told me that his dealer installed a switch that allowed him to turn the Talons on and/or off as needed. I didn't see the switch but assume it's a battery cut off switch and would assume it would be wired the same way...positive to positive and negative to negative. My question is what to do with the green wire wired to the ignition for when the Talons are deployed and you start the engine? I was thinking of butt splicing them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't fully understand what your asking so hopefully I give you the answer you need...

ALL Talons regardless of age/type/style/generation/etc should be on a disconnect switch. In fact most people recommended all electronic devices on a boat be put on a Main Disconnect. This eliminates any parasitic amp draw that may occur while the boat is not in use. In the case of a Talons it also eliminates the possibility of accidental deployment when not on the water (along with eliminating parasitic amp draw). They are pretty simple to install. Wiring is pretty simple...Talon white wire to Output/On side of disconnect...the other post on the disconnect is Input Off. Continue on with the white hot wire to a inline fuse. Then a short length of wire to the + positive side of the battery. Your only breaking hot + positive. So Talon white wire,On side of disconnect, white wire off side of disconnect, fuse then battery.

Negative from Talon to negative on battery. Buy breaking the white hot wire voltage can not make the loop. It is not necessary to break the - wire.

Green wire is the alarm wire. "Technically" you can hook it to any wire that is only 12V hot when the key is on. There is multiple ways of get 12V to the alarm when the key is on. If you have a newer Mercury motor I have been told you can pick up hot at the wiring harness under the motor cowl. In my case I just ran a wire that was the same AGW as the green wire to my dash and picked up 12V at the key switch. I use a voltmeter to find power when the key was on. Hindsight is 20/20 and I found an easier way when I was running power to my smart gauge. A smart gauge also only needs 12V when the key is on. I picked up power for it by putting a terminal on the end of the wire and adding a extra lock nut to the hot post on the back of my fuel gauge. Key switches have several wires going to it and the space gets tight. Gauges only have two post so it's a lot more easy to access. Find the hot post on the back of a gauge that is only on when the key is on and get power there.

here is a disconnect that is reasonably priced and has more than enough amp rating to carry the load of a Talon...https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Batter...gateway&sr=8-8

3. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    ... here is a disconnect that is reasonably priced and has more than enough amp rating to carry the load of a Talon...https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Batter...gateway&sr=8-8
    The posts are bare copper and not tinned. You'll have a lot of corrosion going on in that box. Better off to go with a Blue Sea switch.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

I have had mine installed for almost 5 years and have not had to take it apart so I don't know what it looks like now. Since it says "marine disconnect " it will be safe to say it has the correct type post.

5. Member
    Do you have one Talon or two? I have two and was wondering if I could connect both Talons to one switch. I just ordered two switches from Amazon and if I can only use the one I'll send the other back. Thanks for your help. I hope this works.

That's the exact disconnect I used. I have two Talons and both are wired to just the one disconnect. That disconnect is rated for 275 amps DC so it is more than capable of doing the job. In fact I could add more accessories if I wanted.

Same disconnect I've had for 5 years for my Talons. No issues.
    Scott
    Stratos 285XL

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=981657

In the link above I drew a picture and gave detailed instruction on how to install a Talon(s) with a disconnect. It tells exactly how to wire them from the Talon thru the disconnect, then thru the fuse and onto the battery. It also explains how to hook up the alarm wire. Even though my instructions is for Talons the principle is still the same for a Power Pole just omit the alarm wire part.

I ask KandK to pin the thread at the top of the forum in the sticky threads...thank you KandK

9. Member
    I used this mounted in the battery compartment. Easy as pie.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alarm wire hooked up to purple wire in the motor cowl using a bullet connector. I extended the green wire a little bit to run along the other wires to the motor.