Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY

As last Sunday was Divine Mercy Sunday (2nd Sunday of Easter), I have wrestled with the idea of whether to post or not. Be it late but I think it is still benefical to post....So I am....

Divine Mercy Sunday is a very special Sunday when the Divine Floodgates from Heaven are wide-opened and Jesus offers us the total forgiveness of all sins and punishment to any soul, who goes to Confession and receives Him in Holy Communion, on that day: Our Lord's Divine Mercy grants forgiveness of all sins and punishment on the Feast of Divine Mercy,

Sister Faustina, whom Christ appeared to, lived in Poland. She created a diary and in that diary she recorded the events that transpired. This took place in the 30's....Saint Faustina was canonized by Pope John Paul II in the year 2002. I have found a short clip that shares SOME of the revelations from her diary. The music and screen pictures in the clip makes the message appear to be more dramatic.....but hell is hell.

These are actual quotations from the diary...Jesus speaking to her....mankinds last chance to change from the roads of sin and follow Christ's teaching before the day of judgement. Jesus is offering his Divine Mercy but there will be a time when it will be his Day of Judgement and all bets are off.

Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Thanks for posting. No doubt that God's mercy is divine.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Good as place as any to post this...

Saint Faustina was chosen by Jesus to spread the Message of Divine Mercy. In doing so, Jesus enabled Saint Faustina to have various apparitions of his Passion. What I am posting is the interaction between Saint Faustina and Jesus as she went through the various parts of the apparition. Jesus' spoken word will be in bold type.

The link I post here give you a broad idea of what transpired...lets remember, she has limited education but yet is guided by the Holy Spirit in preparing her diary.

https://www.firstthings.com/web-excl...of-st-faustina

The Agony of Jesus

I entered into the sufferings which Jesus underwent in the Garden of Olives (646). The Lord presses me to His Heart and said, I shall give you a small portion of My Passion, but do not be afraid, be brave, do not seek relief, but accept everything with submission to My will.(1053). When Jesus was taking leave of me, such great pain filled my soul that it is impossible to express it. Every beat of Jesus' Heart was reflected in my heart and pierced my soul. In the course of this suffering, my love grew immeasurably. Together with Him, I underwent, in a special way, all the various tortures. The world still has no idea of all that Jesus suffered. I accompanied Him to the Garden of Gethsemane. I stayed with Him in the prison, I went with Him before the judges, I underwent with him each of the tortures. Not a single one of His movements or looks escaped my notice. I came to know all the omnipotence of His love and of His mercy towards souls.

The Scourging

I saw the Lord Jesus tied to a pillar, stripped of His clothes, and the scourging began immediately. I saw four men who took turns at striking the Lord with scourges. My heart almost stopped at the sight of these tortures (445). I saw how the Lord Jesus suffered as He was being scourged. Oh, such an inconceivable agony! His blood flowed to the ground and in some places His flesh started to fall off. I saw a few bare bones on His back. The meek Jesus moaned softly and sighed (188). The Lord said to me, "I suffer even greater pain than that with you see". And Jesus gave me to know for what sins He subjected himself to the scourging: these are sins of impurity. Oh, how dreadful was Jesus' moral suffering during the scourging. (455)

The Crowning with Thorns

After the scourging, the torturers took the Lord and stripped Him of His own garment, which had already adhered to the wounds. As they took it off, His wounds reopens. Then they threw a dirty and tattered scarlet cloak over the fresh wounds of the Lord. They wove a crown of thorns, which they put on His sacred head. They put a reed in His hand and made fun of Him, bowing to Him as to a king. Some spat on his face, while others took the reed and struck Him on the head with it. Others caused him pain by slapping Him, still others covered His face and struck Him with their fists. Jesus bore all this with meekness. Who can comprehend Him....comprehend His suffering? Jesus' eyes were downcast....Let every soul reflect on what Jesus was suffering at that moment. They tried to outdo each other in insulting the Lord. (408)

Carrying the Cross

I saw a multitude of souls crucified like Him. Then I saw a second multitude of souls, and a third. The second multitude were not nailed to their crosses, but were holding them firmly in their hands. The third were neither nailed to their crosses nor holding them firmly in their hands, but were draging their crosses behind them and were discontent. Jesus then said to me...Do you see these souls? Those who are like Me in the pain and contempt they suffer will be like Me also in glory. And those who resemble Me less in pain and contempt will also bear less resemblance to me in glory".(446)

The Crucifixion

I saw the Lord Jesus nailed upon the cross amidst great torments. A soft moan issued from His Heart. After some time, He said, I thirst, I thirst for the salvation of souls. Help Me, My daughter, to save souls. Join your sufferings to My Passion and offer them to the Heavenly Father for sinners. (1032) I saw two rays issue from His side, just as they appear in the image. I then felt in my soul the desire to save souls and to empty myself for the sake of poor sinners. I offered myself, together with the dying Jesus, to the Eternal Father for the salvation of the world. (648)

4. Member
    Lots of interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Jesus will fully forgive sins at any time if we repent. I like learning more about catholicism, so thanks.
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    Lots of interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Jesus will fully forgive sins at any time if we repent. I like learning more about catholicism, so thanks.
    As to be expected, the Divine Mercy message is intended for all of mankind. Its not just a "catholic thing". In his message Jesus didn't tell Saint Faustina "this is for catholics". It is intended to be for ALL of mankind. Scripture for many is a crucial part of their lives. You really can't find anything in Jesus' message that goes against what the Bible teaches. To a certain extent the message amplifies what can be found in the Bible.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    As to be expected, the Divine Mercy message is intended for all of mankind. Its not just a "catholic thing". In his message Jesus didn't tell Saint Faustina "this is for catholics". It is intended to be for ALL of mankind. Scripture for many is a crucial part of their lives. You really can't find anything in Jesus' message that goes against what the Bible teaches. To a certain extent the message amplifies what can be found in the Bible.
    I'm curious about this portion, drifter. Is total forgiveness of sins offered at other times? Can we just repent and ask God for forgiveness as opposed to going to confession and receiving communion? Thanks

Divine Mercy Sunday is a very special Sunday when the Divine Floodgates from Heaven are wide-opened and Jesus offers us the total forgiveness of all sins and punishment to any soul, who goes to Confession and receives Him in Holy Communion, on that day: Our Lord's Divine Mercy grants forgiveness of all sins and punishment on the Feast of Divine Mercy,

I'm curious about this portion, drifter. Is total forgiveness of sins offered at other times? Can we just repent and ask God for forgiveness as opposed to going to confession and receiving communion? Thanks

Yes....whenever you go to confession and truly repent of your sins and make an effort to do better. There is one characteristic of forgiveness that I will touch on. Its best explained in this matter.

Hypothetical.... I steal some 2 x 4's and use them to build a shed. After building my shed my conscious guides me....I feel remorse for having created a sin by stealing the lumber. I realize my misgivings, I go to confession, truly sorry for my actions and repent and promise to myself to do better. I am given absolution do my penance (normally when given a penance by the confessor you are asked to say prayers (for your penance). Depending on the priest...it may be 1 or 3 Hail Mary's (varies) and then make a good Act of Contrition.

Ok...so you have made the right decisions but one thing lingers....temporal punishment. In the case of a theft, once forgiveness of the sin of theft has been accorded in confession, the thief is still bound in natural justice to make restitution of the stolen goods. This punishment can be remitted during one's earthly life, through prayer, penance, indulgences, or mortification. After death it would be resolved in Purgatory.

I realize that many people are unsure about the term and place called Purgatory. Really, if it comes about that could be a thread by itself. Just know, Purgatory is a place where venial sins and temporal punishment due to sin is purged. There are examples of where people who have died and God has allowed them to return to earth in their current state (in purgatory) and speak of their ordeal. There are pictures where cloth and papers have hand prints from the Holy Souls.

8. Member
    Hey Drifter,
    I think you better be careful about posts like this saying that Jesus message is for all mankind, since that would include all the protestant believers, which according to certain priests unless you are of the true catholic faith you are doomed. Now, they would be chastising you and getting you into that confessional with severe penalties for repentance.

BTW, you couldn't be more right, that Jesus's message is in line with scripture and is for all mankind.

9. Member
    Drifter,
    confession is one of the areas the Bible disagrees with the rcc. 1 john 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

If we confess to Jesus as our mediator, He forgives us and cleanses us from all unrighteousness. No need for other mediation or payment in a purgatory type place.

I try not to lump all rccs together because i have met many catholics that don't agree with the rcc in all areas. Don't take anything I say as a slight against catholics, just a clarification of inconsistency in the rcc.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Hey Drifter,
    I think you better be careful about posts like this saying that Jesus message is for all mankind, since that would include all the protestant believers, which according to certain priests unless you are of the true catholic faith you are doomed. Now, they would be chastising you and getting you into that confessional with severe penalties for repentance.

BTW, you couldn't be more right, that Jesus's message is in line with scripture and is for all mankind.
    If I did than I wouldn't be telling the truth.....

question???? You have come in contact with priest(s) who say unless your Catholic you are doomed? This is a Catholic priest(s) right? I find that somewhat hard to believe....

Drifter,
    confession is one of the areas the Bible disagrees with the rcc. 1 john 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

If we confess to Jesus as our mediator, He forgives us and cleanses us from all unrighteousness. No need for other mediation or payment in a purgatory type place.

I try not to lump all rccs together because i have met many catholics that don't agree with the rcc in all areas. Don't take anything I say as a slight against catholics, just a clarification of inconsistency in the rcc.
    I listed verses 19-23 but the crux of the matter is in the last verse....verse 23
    John 20:23

19Now when it was late the same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst and said to them: Peace be to you. 20And when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his side. The disciples therefore were glad, when they saw the Lord. 21He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

If your alive and going to confession purgatory is NOT in the picture at this time.

12. Member
    If I did than I wouldn't be telling the truth.....

question???? You have come in contact with priest(s) who say unless your Catholic you are doomed? This is a Catholic priest(s) right? I find that somewhat hard to believe....
    Yes, catholic priest of course same individual that profaned what Jesus said in the last supper that the bread and wine are not reserved for certain religious believes only, nor did Jesus instruct any angels to take bread and wine up to the alter on high before God that they may become the actual body and blood of Christ.

Remembering the sacrifice Jesus the Christ did for us and our forgiveness at the cross, through the partaking of bread and wine as such a remembrance should be enough for our repentance.

Yes, catholic priest of course same individual that profaned what Jesus said in the last supper that the bread and wine are not reserved for certain religious believes only, nor did Jesus instruct any angels to take bread and wine up to the alter on high before God that they may become the actual body and blood of Christ.

Remembering the sacrifice Jesus the Christ did for us and our forgiveness at the cross, through the partaking of bread and wine as such a remembrance should be enough for our repentance.
    Are you referring to the transubstantiation of the Blessed Sacrament?

14. Member
    I listed verses 19-23 but the crux of the matter is in the last verse....verse 23

19Now when it was late the same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst and said to them: Peace be to you. 20And when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his side. The disciples therefore were glad, when they saw the Lord. 21He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

If your alive and going to confession purgatory is NOT in the picture at this time.
    You do understand that what Jesus is talking about in 'John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' is what Jesus instructed us to do by confessing or sins to God even during our prayers which should be in private as He instructs us in Matt 6: 6-7.

22When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

At this point, Jesus sent the apostles into the world where they were to share Christ's teaching and baptism just like He did when sending them out twain without any provision into different cities giving them basically the same instruction.

You have been taught that a priest is the direct representative of Christ on earth, therefore, he is the only one that is capable of forgiving sins giving absolution, which is a fake tradition that was taught many hundreds of yrs ago trying to keep the people ingnorants with Latin bibles and mass.

You do understand that what Jesus is talking about in 'John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' is what Jesus instructed us to do by confessing or sins to God even during our prayers which should be in private as He instructs us in Matt 6: 6-7.

22When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

At this point, Jesus sent the apostles into the world where they were to share Christ's teaching and baptism just like He did when sending them out twain without any provision into different cities giving them basically the same instruction.

You have been taught that a priest is the direct representative of Christ on earth, therefore, he is the only one that is capable of forgiving sins giving absolution, which is a fake tradition that was taught many hundreds of yrs ago trying to keep the people ingnorants with Latin bibles and mass.
    All in interpretation....some call it tradition, others call it scripture. My first impression is that in following your line of thinking....your pride gets in the way of being able to confess your sins to a priest. You find it difficult to tell someone where you have failed? I am thinking its nothing but pride that keeps you from doing it. You want to hide behind the veil of secrecy...in the end, Jesus knows your true intentions whether it be to a priest or within oneself. Since about the time I came down with cancer I go face to face with the priest....its really not that difficult.

Lets just agree that we disagree on this subject.

16. Member

Drifter, Thanks for the clarity. John 20:23 has always been a difficult one for me to clearly understand. I assume it is them having access to the gospel and spreading it. For argument sake, let's say it means Jesus gave the power of forgiving sins to the disciples. What do we do with these that contradict the idea of anyone but Jesus being the One we confess to and gain forgiveness of sins?

psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to You,
    And my iniquity I have not hidden.
    I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
    And You forgave the iniquity of my sin

mark 2:7 Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

1 timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus

The Bible seems to teach from David to Paul that 1. God is the only One to forgive sins and 2. that we come to Him rather than someone else.

Last edited by mram10us; 02-11-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Missed a sentence

Drifter, Thanks for the clarity. John 20:23 has always been a difficult one for me to clearly understand. I assume it is them having access to the gospel and spreading it. For argument sake, let's say it means Jesus gave the power of forgiving sins to the disciples. What do we do with these that contradict the idea of anyone but Jesus being the One we confess to and gain forgiveness of sins?

psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to You,
    And my iniquity I have not hidden.
    I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
    And You forgave the iniquity of my sin

mark 2:7 Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

1 timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus

The Bible seems to teach from David to Paul that 1. God is the only One to forgive sins and 2. that we come to Him rather than someone else.

Honestly...thats between Jesus and the beholder. Just from what I have absorbed via Divine Mercy...Jesus is full of love and mercy. More than we can contemplate as we live our earthly lives. My way of thinking....when we die soooooooooo much will be revealed to us. And.....when I die I will be so relieved because I will not longer be "tormented" by Satan, the flesh and the secular world.

That will be an extremely beneficial condition to be surrounded with!!!!!!

18. Member
    Honestly...thats between Jesus and the beholder. Just from what I have absorbed via Divine Mercy...Jesus is full of love and mercy. More than we can contemplate as we live our earthly lives. My way of thinking....when we die soooooooooo much will be revealed to us. And.....when I die I will be so relieved because I will not longer be "tormented" by Satan, the flesh and the secular world.

That will be an extremely beneficial condition to be surrounded with!!!!!!
    I can agree 100% with that sir :)

19. Member
    All in interpretation....some call it tradition, others call it scripture. My first impression is that in following your line of thinking....your pride gets in the way of being able to confess your sins to a priest. You find it difficult to tell someone where you have failed? I am thinking its nothing but pride that keeps you from doing it. You want to hide behind the veil of secrecy...in the end, Jesus knows your true intentions whether it be to a priest or within oneself. Since about the time I came down with cancer I go face to face with the priest....its really not that difficult.

Lets just agree that we disagree on this subject.
    Finally, you said something that will make complete sense to many people. Whether it be a priest, who is just a man, or oneself, again being just a person, unless God forgives your sins by the intersession and the blood of Christ, not even your pope can forgive your sins. I am sorry to hear about your cancer, since I know the terrible struggle it can be due to several family member having had to go through it.

Finally, you said something that will make complete sense to many people. Whether it be a priest, who is just a man, or oneself, again being just a person, unless God forgives your sins by the intersession and the blood of Christ, not even your pope can forgive your sins. I am sorry to hear about your cancer, since I know the terrible struggle it can be due to several family member having had to go through it.
    Without going into details and based on how I look back on the events that my family and myself went through....the cancer that I had and what my family went through (since 2014)...the cancer thing was a GIFT from God (wake up call). The event turned my life around, had such a positive effect on our family and made me realize how much Jesus loves me. Believe me...it makes one very humble when one realizes and knows that Jesus knows you and is here to guide you thru life it you just make the right choices.
    Last edited by drifter106; 02-12-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast