Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Yes, you can tell by the before and after injector cleaning report.

2. Member
    I'm no tech but the compressor didn't even fail on you, correct? Personally I wouldn't clean the injectors unless the compressor failed. The optimax is a picky engine but that's pushing it.

3. Member
    The compressor IS failing..... it just hasn't died yet.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The compressor IS failing..... it just hasn't died yet.
    Fair. I just don't see much going from the described wobble into his fuel or air system. Never know

5. Member
    If it wobbles too much, you WILL see crap going over the piston and into the air rails. All it takes is enough wobble to let the piston start to scrub on the cylinder wall and you start to see metallic filings being pumped out of the compressor, where there is no filter to trap 'em... That can screw up the fuel mix for one or more cylinders, which can overheat those cylinders, which turns this into a MUCH more expensive repair job. Seems irrational to even consider running a compressor that has a known problem, no matter how minor. Problems have a way of going from minor to major in very little time.

With a two-stroke, you can't take chances on (a) running lean - that will kill the powerhead; (b) running hot - again kills the powerhead; (c) running with oil problems - which will again kill the powerhead. Stumbling, rough idle, harder than normal to crank, all things that can be put off for a bit. But nothing related to the big 3. And I didn't even get into mentioning water in the L/U.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    If it wobbles too much, you WILL see crap going over the piston and into the air rails. All it takes is enough wobble to let the piston start to scrub on the cylinder wall and you start to see metallic filings being pumped out of the compressor, where there is no filter to trap 'em... That can screw up the fuel mix for one or more cylinders, which can overheat those cylinders, which turns this into a MUCH more expensive repair job. Seems irrational to even consider running a compressor that has a known problem, no matter how minor. Problems have a way of going from minor to major in very little time.

With a two-stroke, you can't take chances on (a) running lean - that will kill the powerhead; (b) running hot - again kills the powerhead; (c) running with oil problems - which will again kill the powerhead. Stumbling, rough idle, harder than normal to crank, all things that can be put off for a bit. But nothing related to the big 3. And I didn't even get into mentioning water in the L/U.
    Very true and I guess I misspoke. Based on what his mechanic said it sounds like the failure was caught early. I would recommend he opens up the compressor to look for internal damage before making any moves.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenRanger364V View Post
    Any way to tell on the other end or would that just be a stupid shot in the dark?
    Tear the compressor apart and check the piston and cylinder (anywhere the air flow to the air/fuel rail could pick up debris).

8. Member
    AND, remove the two oil filters in the lines between the compressor and the end bearings. Cut 'em open and see if they are clean. Make sure there is no trash flowing that direction in addition to down the airway. Something that is right in the "middle" of the motor like this needs to be handled carefully. IE it dumps air to the injectors and oil to the motor bearings. Neither will tolerate metal pieces.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Ok I guess I'm going to take the compressor apart and cut the old filters apart. Does anyone have a guide on what to look for and how to disassemble, or should I just get a manual for that?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Respectfully, just tear the compressor apart (completely). Every bolt and piece that removes with a wrench. You're replacing it anyway- not like you're going to hurt it.

You're looking for any shiny or gray particles (or oil stained with shiny or gray particles).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Well what's the verdict?
    Last edited by Misspomme; 05-12-2019 at 07:33 AM.

12. Member
    I dug into everything and here's what I found20190512_111225.jpg

13. Member
    Might have been some grime in the filters. Could have been metal but not sure. Either way barely anything. No debris at all in the cylinder.

14. Member
    The rod bearing and crankshaft needs inspected, that were the problems start.

15. Member
    I haven't been able to get that end off. Undid the bolts and pulled the clip off. Am I missing something?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenRanger364V View Post
    I haven't been able to get that end off. Undid the bolts and pulled the clip off. Am I missing something?
    O-ring on that end is very tight. Twist as you pull and pull harder. Mine had one bad roller on the rod bearing and the crank was eaten badly.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    O-ring on that end is very tight. Twist as you pull and pull harder. Mine had one bad roller on the rod bearing and the crank was eaten badly.
    Are you talking about the C-clip I had to struggle to remove, or something else I'm missing? I got that clip off and now I'm stuck.

Thanks!
    Last edited by GreenRanger364V; 05-14-2019 at 05:48 AM.

18. Member
    I was talking about pulling the whole top off of the compressor as one piece, I have not broken down the top bearing assembly sorry.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    I was talking about pulling the whole top off of the compressor as one piece, I have not broken down the top bearing assembly sorry.
    How would I go about that? I already pulled off the end that let's me see the bottom end of the Piston but now I'm lost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast