Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Yea yea yea.....I tried to buy last year but you wouldn't go......But I did take up most of your day......I'm coming for a visit soon and dinner is on me bud.

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Gearcase is headed your way Eddie.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Member
    Thanks Brian....I'll watch for it.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Iffen I get there first.....a steak dinner gets me in front RIGHT???

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Iffen I get there first.....a steak dinner gets me in front RIGHT???
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Ok guys, I was just cleaning up the garage after getting my gearcase disassembled and packed/shipped to Eddie. I’ve been running a Mercury prop with a flo torq hub kit. I pushed the plastic sleeve out of the prop and realized the back of it was melted. Took a closer look at the PVS plugs and they were melted inside the barrel. Even the damaged weed ring shows signs of melting. I thought the hub kits were supposed to be good with the hot Etec exhaust? Motor idles / lower speeds between 150-170 degrees. Higher RPMs and the temp drops to 140. Anything there seem like it would melt hub kits?

EDIT: After a little research it would appear that the Evinrude trim tab I installed may be cutting down on the cooling water being sent back over my hub. It has a water pickup hole on the front of it, but I had it turned a bit to STBD, so it probably wasn’t picking up much water. Maybe I’ll just go back to the flat trim tab cover and install hyd steering.
    Last edited by headhigh; 05-18-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Well, after a little more research, it appears that running a small barreled 4 blade prop with a weed ring is a major no-no on the Etec 150HO's. That would have been some good information to have 1 lower unit rebuild and 2 prop hubs ago!! Apparently the heat build up in that lower unit gets bad with a weed ring installed. I've already sold the 23P Trophy. I guess the 23P Renegade will go back up for sale as soon as it gets here. Time to go back to the 22 Raker.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I would look into the bravo 1 props.....woke my Sprint up!!! Hole shot is better than any raker or gade prop. The Tempests are good too.....you like 3 or 4 blades?

9. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I prefer a 4 blade. I spend enough time in rough water to justify any loss of top end speed. I’m going to try the 23 Renegade without a weed ring and see how it does. Hopefully it doesn’t blow out too bad on holeshot.
    Last edited by headhigh; 05-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Got my lower unit back from Eddie yesterday. I got it reinstalled and filled with fresh gear lube, now I just need to find the time to test her out. I'm going to try like hell to not screw it up again....but if I do, I'll call Eddie again. Great service at a great price.
    Thanks again Eddie! And thank you Mike for insisting I give him a call. Saved me a ton of $, and a lot of headaches.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    You can't beat Eddie....I've watched the man work his majic ....even straightening prop shafts... thorough, meticulous I even think he may be OCD. Leaving for Maine saturday for the Northern Rally then I will visit Eddie to get my coned mag case looked at. I need to visit Eddie just to BS and eat dinner...no work! I will have more time on my hands after I get back from vacation.....I will be semi-retired.... Good luck with that Etec. You will love it.

12. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I found time this morning before the thunderstorms to run the boat. It ran perfect! Thanks Eddie!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

13. Member
    Glad to hear it Brian, sure hope you got everything worked out with the heat problem. Were you able to make any sense of the hole idea to be drilled into the housing ??

14. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gearcaseman View Post
    Glad to hear it Brian, sure hope you got everything worked out with the heat problem. Were you able to make any sense of the hole idea to be drilled into the housing ??
    It makes perfect sense Eddie. It looks pretty easy too. I’m going to run it a few times and see if I’m seeing any signs of overheating on the prop hub or thrust washer. If I do, I’m going to drill the holes. I’m pretty sure I’ll be ok now that I’m not running a weed ring.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

15. Member
    O.K., Sounds good. Good luck with everything !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123