2003 honda bf225 prop/set-up recommendations

I have a 2003 bf225 on a skeeter zx225, running a razor 4xl 24p on it wot at about 6k, got it end of last season and trying to dial it in to my liking still, holeshot is a little slow, I was told on another honda forumn that I should be running a 15p at 5200wot , seems a little low to me, just wondering what everyones thoughts were and if anyone had any other recommendations for set-up. Thanks for your help!

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    62K is around you want to be!!
    try a Fury 4, or Tempest Plus in 24 or 25.

Make sure you have all the vents plugged.

3. Member
    I'm still fine tuning my Phoenix 721 with a 250 Honda but keep in mind my set up has a 2.0:1 gears. My best prop stock was a 26 pitch 3 blade Fury for top end speed, for holeshot it was a 25 pitch Fury 3 blade.

I however carry a very heavy load so right now I am running a worked 25 pitch tempest plus with all holes plugged and lots of cup added by a prop shop. The worked tempest 25 will push my bird to 68mph and 6300 rpms with plenty safe h2o psi at 2inch below pad. When I run stock props I have to run low because they slip so much but the worked prop allows me to run high. When you can run high it makes a HUGE difference in hole shot, therefore I have not needed to run any 4 blades at all so far to get up with a full tournament load. I have a 26 out now with cup being added to see if I can turn it, hoping to get to 70 mph with full load and still get good holeshot.

Bottom line take the prop that gets you close to what you want then send it out for work, it will make a huge difference in both hole shot and top end.

4. Member
    Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it!

5. Member
    Do you know your prop to pad height? If so just curious how high you are running on a zx?

6. Member
    Currently running at 3 1/8" p to p , took it out today after removing some wedges between motor and jackplate, ran great, only thing is motor is running real low in the water, which isnt good for these hondas I guess, maybe this motor just isn't right for this boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex400 View Post
    Currently running at 3 1/8" p to p , took it out today after removing some wedges between motor and jackplate, ran great, only thing is motor is running real low in the water, which isnt good for these hondas I guess, maybe this motor just isn't right for this boat.
    The wedges that you took out sound like the kind of wedges that are made to help with holeshot. The ones that I have seen used increase negative trim. I personally think you did the right thing removing them because my feeling is if you use wedges you do increase negative trim to help with holeshot, but it's a trade off because you now loose positive trim and will loose top end.

My opinion is it sounds like you are running too low. I would raise the outboard A full inch "assuming safe operation and safe h20psi" then give your rpms and speed to a prop shop.

Mercury prop web site has a great free to use prop slip calculator. If you see you have slip over 10% the money you pay the prop shop will be money well spent. To give you a idea most of my stock props I have had slip 13% to 15% and most of my worked props slip 10% or less. For example a 25pitch, 2.00:1 gears, 6300 rpm's, 68mph is only 9% slip. not sure on your gears in a 225 but my 250 is 2.00:1.

8. Member
    Yeah I will try raising it up, previous owner had the wedges installed in the positive direction (fat part down) , im thinking maybe to get exhaust out of water, as theres an issue with o2 sensor going bad due to water ingestion, all around performance is 100% better without them! I'll try raising it up and see how that goes, and maybe prop shop after that, thanks for your help, appreciate it!
    Last edited by Apex400; 01-13-2021 at 08:31 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex400 View Post
    Yeah I will try raising it up, previous owner had the wedges installed in the positive direction (fat part down) , im thinking maybe to get exhaust out of water, as theres an issue with o2 sensor going bad due to water ingestion, all around performance is 100% better with them! I'll try raising it up and see how that goes, and maybe prop shop after that, thanks for your help, appreciate it!
    As far as water ingestion, when you shut down to fish trim up outboards so exhaust ports are above water line. This might help.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    The Fury 3 is know for losing its up and knocking off 3-5 mph overnight.

11. Member
    I raised er up up about 3/4" to about 2 7/16" below pad, gonna get out with a friend tomorrow and fish, I'll post my results. Was pretty happy with it yesterday, by my self , but was getting about 5600 at 58mph or so, so figured I'd come up a little. Coming off a small aluminum boat, so top speed isnt really my priority, it all feels fast to me, lol, im sure that will probably change with seat time, again everyone appreciate your knowledge and experience!