Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

V8 pro xs shaking

Anyone else notice how much these things shake running down the lake? Looks As though it's coming from upper & lower mounts! Probably normal, but damn things like a bobble head!

250lpxs
    2B598732
    Last edited by toledo freak; 05-01-2019 at 07:24 PM.

2. Member
    Mine doesn't shake any more than previous PRO XS 2s. For safety have your dealer check it.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. mikesxpress
    Agreed. Mine doesn't shake anymore than my Opti did.

Definitely have someone look into it. Mine is very smooth from idle to WOT

So nobody else thinks these new motors shake more? This one has done it from day one first time in water . Motor currently has 10.2 hrs. Guess I will be looking into it!

6. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by toledo freak View Post
    So nobody else thinks these new motors shake more? This one has done it from day one first time in water . Motor currently has 10.2 hrs. Guess I will be looking into it!
    What prop are you running??

Fury 24p

8. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Mine 250r had a bad vibration at 2800 to 3500 rpms. I found running a bravo and jacking the motor has helped a lot

9. Member
    When and what type of shaking ? I noticed mine shaking a little more than normal when put into forward and was just idling and not giving any acceleration once before. After planing out and running it went back to normal. If you are at idle be sure to trim up and make sure the exhaust is well above the water line. If it isn't it will cause rough idle, shaking, and possibly lead to fouled plugs from research I gathered.

10. Member
    There is noticeable movement in the midsection while trailering too. Not concerned about it though. The trim and tilt are solid as hell. You got to remember how much more "mass " there is to this engine. Even though the weight is nearly the same as the 3 liter, there's still more load on basically the same trim/tilt unit. Virtually the same mid section. I've been getting a Mercury engine every year for years. This 4.6 has totally set the competition back on it's heals.

11. Member
    You do realize that mass == weight? 500 pounds is 500 pounds. Doesn't matter whether it is 500 pounds of feathers or 500 pounds of depleted uranium.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Ok people I've put my hands on several more 4s and dug around, like I suspected it appears normal and appears the 4s has rubber mounts vs the opti pro xs having solid mounts! Therefore the noticeable difference in motor movement! And to those saying your 4s doesn't move anymore than your older opti pxs?you obviously haven't turned around and watched this 4s as you are running down lake in any kinda chop! It's pretty ��Eye opening! Or just have two side by side on trailer and do a repetitive push test on cavitation plate, " night & day " fellas! With that said all is good now that I know it's not just mine, ��

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toledo freak View Post
    Ok people I've put my hands on several more 4s and dug around, like I suspected it appears normal and appears the 4s has rubber mounts vs the opti pro xs having solid mounts! Therefore the noticeable difference in motor movement! And to those saying your 4s doesn't move anymore than your older opti pxs?you obviously haven't turned around and watched this 4s as you are running down lake in any kinda chop! It's pretty ��Eye opening! Or just have two side by side on trailer and do a repetitive push test on cavitation plate, " night & day " fellas! With that said all is good now that I know it's not just mine, ��
    If you would, please review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Guess I need to look, had min for almost a year have not noticed it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. BBC SPONSOR
    While hitting waves/ rough water mines looks like it is about to fall off. shakes bad, I suspect the soft motor mounts are to blame.

16. Member
    This doesn’t sound too good.
    That much movement would seem to affect performance.
    but maybe not if synced to conditions.
    but once you wobble one way then it is bound to wobble the other to balance.
    I would be interested in some factory discussion on this issue or other expert advice.

trailering my boat over POS Oklahoma highways has lead me to believe that road time not Motor time may be the most important wear and tear on an engine. So maybe some flex rather than rigidity is best.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Toledo Freak... I'd be interested to see a video of what you're talking about. Perhaps post one up on Youtube and provide a link?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    mine dont shake. on the water or on the trailer. goes faster than i can drive it right now though.

19. Member
    Mine don’t shake, but sounds and performs great on my new ranger 2080ms.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBucketMouth33 View Post
    When and what type of shaking ? I noticed mine shaking a little more than normal when put into forward and was just idling and not giving any acceleration once before. After planing out and running it went back to normal. If you are at idle be sure to trim up and make sure the exhaust is well above the water line. If it isn't it will cause rough idle, shaking, and possibly lead to fouled plugs from research I gathered.
    Same issue for me with my 200 hp ProXS. I'll try trimming up next time I'm on the water and see if that helps the shaking while idling around.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast