Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyztoyz View Post
    While hitting waves/ rough water mines looks like it is about to fall off. shakes bad, I suspect the soft motor mounts are to blame.
    Mine is very noticeable in a decent chop as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Mine is very noticeable in a decent chop as well.
    The mounts are doing their job & not transfering the energy to the boat. They are softer than the 2s pro xs engines for sure

3. Member
    Mine shakes pretty well also. Just got the 10 hrs break in done and was surprised when I looked back there going down the lake on memorial weekend

Exactly! For those that say theirs don't shake or not more than older opti pro xs? Obviously haven't turned around and watched motor in any kind of chop! " it's freaky", I know it's normal now! Not saying I'm crazy about it, time will tell if they engineered these mounts tough enough because they sure do work overtime! And if you think these mounts are soft? Go drive a 115proxs 4s in a chop

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Toledo... thought you have a 250 (that's what your original post was, anyway).

Have you had someone ride with you so you could video the engine and water behind the boat while this is occurring? Would be interesting to see it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

i just wanted to go back and bring this back up...
    my 2019 v8 does same exact thing...
    while cruising and hitting decent size chop, this motor does seem to have ALOT more up and down chop than any of my 3 previous Pro XS 2s models...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely far more absorbent mount system used on these Fourstrokes. That is an integral part of the sound-decibel reduction measures.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

makes sense....does the R motors use the same absorbent system?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Comparing the 250 ProXS 20" Mechanical, to the 250R 20" SM and the 300R 20" SM (there are a number of other models that vary):

Upper mount is different on the "R" models, lower is the same (except for the HD Swivel Bracket models, which are totally different).

10. Member
    ya i looked at mine other day . actually checked bolts after run. motor jumps a lot when i really let er eat ..
    scary to stare at. but smooth at helm. im sure it some sort of optical illusion??
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    makes sense....does the R motors use the same absorbent system?
    My 250 R seems solid although it has some vibration at lower RPMS that seems prop related

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    My 250 R seems solid although it has some vibration at lower RPMS that seems prop related
    I have recently noticed some vibration at low RPM. All though mine is not the R engine.. I have looked at every thing I can I can’t find anything that stands out as wrong. You said “prop related” what could that be? I have some chatter or vibration but I don’t feel any slack in the LU or anything noticeable. Could it be LU related or going out?

The first props I ran were 4 blade promax... both had a noticeable vibration at lower rpms but seemed to go away at higher rpms.
    When I put on the 5 blade max5 prop it was a lot better. After getting the new style hub its not noticeable with the 5 blade. But haven't tried it with a 4 yet. Others have talked on different forums of a low rpm vibration and how it's less with more blades.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern_gt View Post
    I have recently noticed some vibration at low RPM. All though mine is not the R engine.. I have looked at every thing I can I can’t find anything that stands out as wrong. You said “prop related” what could that be? I have some chatter or vibration but I don’t feel any slack in the LU or anything noticeable. Could it be LU related or going out?
    Let's be careful not to confuse or hi-jack the thread topic, as seemingly small deviations can rapidly turn into discussions of something completely different.

Some of the low-RPM vibration being noted on the "R" models is due to the stiffer (upper) mounts, which allow more vibration to transfer from the midsection through the transom brackets, and on to the boat.

15. Member
    motor bounces around a lot,but still stays connected to the water.kinda crazy to watch

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toledo freak View Post
    Ok people I've put my hands on several more 4s and dug around, like I suspected it appears normal and appears the 4s has rubber mounts vs the opti pro xs having solid mounts! Therefore the noticeable difference in motor movement! And to those saying your 4s doesn't move anymore than your older opti pxs?you obviously haven't turned around and watched this 4s as you are running down lake in any kinda chop! It's pretty 😳Eye opening! Or just have two side by side on trailer and do a repetitive push test on cavitation plate, " night & day " fellas! With that said all is good now that I know it's not just mine, 👍
    I have been saying it all along. In rough water the motor shakes so hard it shakes the boat. My 250 does it and my partners 200 does it.

17. Member
    My SHO used to do the same thing and it was the play in the Atlas Jackplate in combination with the soft motor mounts. That is one of the reasons that I went with a Bobs backplate on my current boat. I have the 300R and the it does not have the bobblehead effect in a chop that my last boat had. Actually it has hardly any play and is very solid back there. And yes I look because my last motor did it so bad that it would shack the boat pretty bad. Check for play in your jack plate also.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

its not left and right shaking...its forwards and backwards... and its physically impossible to manipulate it by hand on the trailer...

Yep that’s it...
    mine does same and maybe worse

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn200m View Post
    When did Mercury make the change to the softer mounts? My buddy has a 2016 115 4s on his boat and it doesn't have nearly the amount of movement that my 2020 does.
    That would require the serial numbers of both engines to compare.

While much of this discussion has become general- the lions share has also interjected engines that are a completely different series from the Original Poster's (V8 ProXS) engine. We do need to keep the discussion more directly focused on the ORIGINAL-POSTER'S engine/question so that it doesn't become necessary to clean the thread.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast