Project Healing Waters

Folks,

I wanted to share this organization. I've been a part of them for a while now. They are exclusively for disabled vets, and all you need to qualify is a "Service connected disability" even if your VA percentage is 0, as long as you have a condition that's rated as "Service connected" you should be able to qualify. They are a fly fishing organization, and that's what they focus on. Zero membership fees, all they ask is that you remain active in the program, and attend the administrative meetings in order to continue the events.

I've never fly fished before and they have outfitted me with everything I needed to get started, and have monthly fly casting lessons, fly tying lessons, and our local chapter recently just finished a rod building session. In addition to all that they have many outings that are free of charge to members, often donated by other groups or organizations. My first event was an all expense paid trip from California to the Wind River Valley near Dubious, WY. First day was spend touring Yellowstone National Park, and then 3 days guided fishing in the rivers and tributaries near by.

This origination has opened up a whole new dynamic of fishing for me. I have found fly fishing to be lots of fun, and truly am enjoying learning more each time we get together. In addition to the events and fishing trips the best part of this organization is why they exist. Project healing waters aims to heal and help disabled vets grow through fly fishing. The events are amazing, but the friendships made and camaraderie within the group are the part I take away the most.

Take a look at their web site, and if they have a chapter near you, give them a look. It's opened my eyes to a whole new dynamic of fishing that I'm enjoying very much, and it's just a great place for like minded folks, or those with the similar background that we share to come together.

Let me know if you have any questions about them, or if you're in the Bay Area California, I'll be happy to get you set up with the local organizational leadership if you want to get involved.

https://projecthealingwaters.org/
    2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150
    SN: 0T067432

2. Member
    Sounds like a very good organization.