Engine Questions

I have a few questions about my 2014 50ELPT 50 hp Mercury 4 stroke engine s/n: 1C269998:

I am considering putting on a Power-Pole. They offer a bracket (pk-mtos-plt)that says it is specifically for use with Mercury engines. It goes between the transom and the engine. I am concerned that this may void the engine warranty according to some posts that I have seen on the board. Those posts were from a few years ago, so I am wondering if there is an updated version of the service bulletin?

If that bracket referenced above is ok to use, after removing the engine from the boat and then putting it back on, should the mounting nuts, bolts, and washers be replaced?

On another note, my service center mentioned that I should have the impeller replaced after 3 years. Is this common? I don't have the boat in salt water.

Thank you for your help!

2. Member
    Service interval for my 8hp 4-stroke kicker is 300hrs or 3yrs whichever comes first. I can't imagine your 50hp having a longer water pump service interval than my 8hp, which I service every 3yrs irrespective of hours (actually do the same on my 150 as well).

The service bulletin you reference is still valid and suspect you will be told not to install the power pole plate between the engine and transom.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NOTHING should be on the engine mounting hardware OTHER THAN the engine and it's mounting surface. NO BRACKETS or add-on devices.

In a fishing application- it's wise to shorten the Water Pump replacement interval to 2 (two) years. 3 Years or 300 Hours of Operation is the MAX interval on that water pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you SilverFox579 & EuropeanAM for your help!

5. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    OP,

I wrote to Mercury and asked about this very same subject and was told BY Mercury it will not void your warranty if you have a bracket between the transom and motor mount. What it may do is void any warranty claim you have on the mount. Magnuson Moss act protects the consumer from manufactures trying to avoid warranty claims for unrelated modifications. For instance, if you did install a bracket between the motor and transom and the motor mount failed, Mercury could deny the claim. Likewise if you did install the bracket between the mount and transom and your motor threw a rod, Mercury would have to prove that the bracket caused the rod failure (which there is no way it could).

I also wrote to PP and Mercury directly as there are too many internet lawyers out here and kept their email replies incase its needed.

BTW my boat was deliver to me from a Mercury authorized dealer that installed the bracket between the motor and transom before the service bulletin came out advising against it. I asked Mercury how that affects my warranty and those who were in the same boat as me, and Mercury flat out ignored my question. Its mute point now as my motor is out of its 5 year warranty without a single issue and to this day has the bracket between the transom and mount just as it was delivered to me.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S