Chesdin Help Please

I have volunteered to be a boat captain for some high school kids this weekend at Chesdin. They are new to fishing. I have not been to Chesdin in 15 years. I am not asking for a spot, just some help in letting the boys catch some fish. Uplake , down lake, grass, or points. Do you frog fish there? Just something to get them started would be much appreciated

Thanks

Don
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    A lot of people go up lake, but if you are not familiar where the channel is, you can get into some trouble. Personally, I usually fish the lower half going towards the dam. There's a little of everything from grass, points and coves with some descent docks.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Thanks a bunch--Grass and docks it will be. Not going to venture up river. Read a lot on that being tricky
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    Bass only? or "anything" fishing?

5. Member
    Bass only
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

6. Member
    Fish should be spawn/post spawn. Try backs of pockets with poppers and frogs along the grass in the morning. And a pink floating worm or fluke will work all day. And a wacky rig senko. Grass edges and docks are a good bet.
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

7. Member
    thanks for the help jakeups88
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    Since the water is warm now, I would try to have some fun with topwater first. After that, I would work docks until I had a decent limit. One tossing a wacky rigged, smaller senko and working the perimeter of each dock. Natural colors if water is not ugly. The other angler I would have skipping a 3" grup/jig combo up under the docks, working all water depths, until you get a pattern. They might be in 6" of water up under there or they may be tight to the legs. If you have a good shade line out off the dock, work that line before you work the wood.

I really like a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jig on a fat body, curly tail grub. They skip well and fall slow. Gives the fish time to look at it. If you are only finding them deeper, go heavier. We catch plenty of bass on 2" crappie jig. Big fish love small easy meals. Good luck. Hope the guys have a blasts.

9. Member
    Steve--thanks very much for the help. It is their first tourney--to say they are excited is an understatement. This will help them get started
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

10. Member
    Sent you a PM

11. Member
    What group is this? When and where are they launching.

A buddy is killing the crappie the last two days on pumpkinseed with chartreuse tail, so those colors are definitely visible right now.

12. Member
    got it thanks!!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

13. Member
    Just a small group of maybe 20 kids that have a club affiliated with FLW. We will be going out of the public boat landing. I really struggled today there!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

How'd everyone do? I saw a lot of kids out on boats today and tried to stay out of the way. Picked up two shallow on topwaters. Mised a few more on the frog.
    Wishing I was Fishing

15. Member
    Very tough day for all of them. 9 boats. 10lbs won. 8lbs for second and 5.25 for third. We only weighed in 2 fish, but they missed two that would have gotten them third. This was their first tourney--one kid had never even been in a bass boat. They had a blast--but now they know how tough tourney fishing can be. Thanks to all who helped me out on this site!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Chesdin is a tough place to start your tournament career.
    Sounds like a great thing you guys are doing. How many tournament do they have and were do they fish?

17. Member
    Just got into it, but I think they fish 4. James, Chesdin, Chick, James. Only about 8-10 boats, mainly due to shortage of boat captains. Very cool for the kids who want the tourney experience. Trophies for winning and prizes given by raffle. I did it as a favor for a friend of mine who had a son who wanted to do it. He helped my son get started in hunting--I owed it to him:)
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250