Favorite Shakey Head worm and head

so after getting my a$$ handed to me this past weekend with finesse fishing I have come to realize that I need to do it more.
    did branch out a bit and threw a wacky rig senko almost all day...yea yea I know its like the be all lure and all that and I will say I did catch a ton of fish on it for sure. not many of any size but a ton of fish.
    so with that said I have come to realize that I need to start finesse fish way more than I do.
    so what is your alls favorite shakey head worm and also what head do you like to use. keep in mind most of our lakes here are very very rocky so don't want something that hangs up a lot.

I don't have a particular brand that I'm loyal to, but I really like the style of shakey head that has a bait keeper on the shank of the hook as opposed to the type that have a screw-lock or other mechanism coming out of the head to attach the worm. Seems like the hook up rate is dramatically higher on the type with the bait keeper on the shank, I think because the hook point is more perpendicular to the bait this way. To a lesser extent, screwlocks and the like also eat up some of your hook gap. The trade off is that it will hang easier, but I'd rather deal with that than miss a bunch of fish. Consider a football style head for coming through rocks.

Zoom Trick Worms are my favorite for a shakey head, though the BBB Squirrel Tail worms are really good as well.

Don't sleep on the Neko rig either. It's almost completely replaced the shakey head for me in water less than 15 feet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Megastrike Shake2....https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mega...e-MSPROMD.html

IMG_1401.JPG
    I caught my PB 8 pounder last summer on this little rig...Megastrike jighead with a Roboworm.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    Strike King KVD Perfect Plastic KVD Finesse Worm in Dirt color on a Owner shakey head.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    so after getting my a$$ handed to me this past weekend with finesse fishing I have come to realize that I need to do it more.
    did branch out a bit and threw a wacky rig senko almost all day...yea yea I know its like the be all lure and all that and I will say I did catch a ton of fish on it for sure. not many of any size but a ton of fish.
    so with that said I have come to realize that I need to start finesse fish way more than I do.
    so what is your alls favorite shakey head worm and also what head do you like to use. keep in mind most of our lakes here are very very rocky so don't want something that hangs up a lot.
    Got our butts kicked by some guys throwing shakyhead yesterday at PDT. For fishing rocky lakes like we have in Missouri and KS, I honestly haven't found any jighead that comes over rocks better than the Jewel Squirrelhead. It is a very thin wire hook, though. Works fine for me on light tackle, but it will bend out if you horse them. They have a couple heavier versions I haven't tried.

6. Member
    I like the Strike King KVD shakey head in 3/16. and I use Roboworms alot or zoom finesse or trick worms

7. Member
    I really like the Missile Warlock head. I wish they made a version with a long shank hook though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I don't have a particular brand that I'm loyal to, but I really like the style of shakey head that has a bait keeper on the shank of the hook as opposed to the type that have a screw-lock or other mechanism coming out of the head to attach the worm. Seems like the hook up rate is dramatically higher on the type with the bait keeper on the shank, I think because the hook point is more perpendicular to the bait this way. To a lesser extent, screwlocks and the like also eat up some of your hook gap. The trade off is that it will hang easier, but I'd rather deal with that than miss a bunch of fish. Consider a football style head for coming through rocks.

Zoom Trick Worms are my favorite for a shakey head, though the BBB Squirrel Tail worms are really good as well.

Don't sleep on the Neko rig either. It's almost completely replaced the shakey head for me in water less than 15 feet.
    I use both types because they have completely different falls. Haven't really noticed a difference in hookups or hangups between the two, but can definitely get bite better on one than the other depending on the day.

9. Member
    Frenzy nail head
    works well with elaztech worms .

10. Member
    Grande Bass Air Tail Wiggler
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

11. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:30 AM.

12. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:30 AM.

Shakyheads with a Zoom lizard are my best producer. Sometimes I use the 6" lizard, but the 5" in GP is my favorite. TW carries them. My current favorite Shakyhead is the Owner Ultrahead. They have a football for rocky lakes and a modified round-ish head for weedy lakes, and it matters. The curly keeper thingy works ok, but I kinda wish they were bigger for the lizards.

I do have some other Shakyheads on hand that I need to try. The first one I tried was the Jewel Squirrel head, and tho it got bit, I never boated a fish with it. The hooks were sharp, but I came to the conclusion that the hooks were flexing too much and not penetrating. I always use 1/4 oz heads, and fish them on 10 lb FC and a 7' baitcaster. I started with a Shimano Compre 7'M, but changed to a 7'MH Denali Attax. Both work fine for Shakyhead duty, but I feel the Compre is a viable rod for a few other uses, like jerkbaits, small cranks, and even a Neko rig. I prefer to keep my FC use to baitcasters.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Member
    For brand heads i like the Buckeye Spot Removers. Or i guess any stand up style head. I just think the stand up style is key to shakey head fishing. And i use zoom trick wirms alot and also love the berkley Bottom Hopper the 6.25"
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9