prop question for you new 4 strokers.

Will soon be joining the ranks and have several props that I was fixing to sell.
    Maybe I should hold up . Sure be interested to know what is working for ya'll and what's not.
    Thanks Mike

I have a 30 promax on my 250R. It does well. With my 275lb fishing partner, 75lb agm on the port side, and a bunch of tackle I'm going to try a Bravo for that kind of load to compare. I've always like running them for that on my Sterling and Gamblers. I'll be able to report in a couple weeks hopefully.
    I have a fast 28 performer 4 I'm partial to that I tried on my Sterling. Being an over the hub style, the torque of the SHO on my sterling would make it spin out so bad you couldn't get it on plane. I suspect I would have that same problem with this 250R on my Allison..?

I would keep them Mike and test first. We ran a handful of the usuals on the 250 and 300R this weekend and they all worked fine. Tested the hell out of the 250R last summer and the usuals like the Promax, hydromotive, and P4 all ran fine.

Yes the new motor can spin up some bigger wheels, but you don’t necessarily need to spend the money. The Promax 28-32 saw a lot of air time this weekend and it performed well.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Thanks guys..
    The Bravo I have has the 1" holes along with the PVS holes, sounds like it may not work so good.
    Geoff have you gotten hold of one with the taller gears yet? I heard that Merc were putting some out now.

^^ I agree, I would think it would be to much ventilation and would spin out trying to get outa the hole. Thats why I got the "fs" model (I'm guessing that's merc code for four stroke) It only has one set of the pvs holes. It got shipped with a set of solid plugs in them.

Tim Powell has. Mine will be 1.75’s. That is the right ratio for me.

I will keep my 28,30,32 promax props and my 32 p4 and 34 p3. I sold my lab 26 promax and 24 p3 already and the 28 p3 and 26 hoss will wait for more testing.

You are right 1” holes may be too much. Not sure. The motor has a lot of smarts, I didn’t see a huge slip issue with over hubs running Jeff’s 250 with the over hub p4 and that has a lot more open area than a bravo with holes.

Like you I desperately want to unload all my wheels, but none of us benefit from it if we don’t test different setups with different wheels. I’m going to hold off on selling anything other than the super small pitch wheels we all know won’t work.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

7. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    ^^ I agree, I would think it would be to much ventilation and would spin out trying to get outa the hole. Thats why I got the "fs" model (I'm guessing that's merc code for four stroke) It only has one set of the pvs holes. It got shipped with a set of solid plugs in them.
    I bought a bravo 32 FS for my 250R. Hit limiter at 6280 rpms at 88 mph with 25 psi water pressure. 19% slip. Sent to Mark Croxton

Running a Stroker

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    I bought a bravo 32 FS for my 250R. Hit limiter at 6280 rpms at 88 mph with 25 psi water pressure. 19% slip. Sent to Mark Croxton

Running a Stroker
    I'm running same prop on 21xrd 300r a lot of slip as well. Let's us know how the tweaks to the ptop turns out.
    Thanks Ronnie

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Ive ran everything from Bravo's, Hydro's, Promax's, Max 5's, Performer 4's, 1.75s, 1.60s, etc.

My least favorite on the XB21 has been the bravo on both the 250 and 300. My favorite so far has been the Max 5, I just love the way they carry the boat.

The promax is quick and runs very well from 5-95.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    I have a 30 promax on my 250R. It does well. With my 275lb fishing partner, 75lb agm on the port side, and a bunch of tackle I'm going to try a Bravo for that kind of load to compare. I've always like running them for that on my Sterling and Gamblers. I'll be able to report in a couple weeks hopefully.
    I have a fast 28 performer 4 I'm partial to that I tried on my Sterling. Being an over the hub style, the torque of the SHO on my sterling would make it spin out so bad you couldn't get it on plane. I suspect I would have that same problem with this 250R on my Allison..?
    The Bravo props do not work well right out of the box.
    After you run it, give Robbie a call at 804-706-1847 he knows what needs to be done to them to make them work on the 21's.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Ive ran everything from Bravo's, Hydro's, Promax's, Max 5's, Performer 4's, 1.75s, 1.60s, etc.

My least favorite on the XB21 has been the bravo on both the 250 and 300. My favorite so far has been the Max 5, I just love the way they carry the boat.

The promax is quick and runs very well from 5-95.
    32 promax ran 95 first pass I made with Tims boat at a conservative trim angle in a crosswind. It was asking for more trim and or motor height but I didn’t want to push a strangers boat.