Sooner lake tips

I know people here are not very anxious to give out fishing tips/ reports. I’m thinking about bringing my granddaughter up to Sooner lake tomorrow, I’m trying to get her hooked on fishing. Problem is I don’t know the lake real well and I am still learning more about that type of fishing as I came from the north and was a Walleye fisherman. I bought some live bait, minows, and I’d like to see her tie into some of those hybrids, because they pull pretty good. Anyway any advice or what part of the lake would be a good place for drop lines with live bait would be appreciated. I’m guessing the larger part of the lake this time of year should be pretty active, although I’m sure both sides are good. Right now I just plan on using my electronics to try to mark them, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and good fishing.

i should add if you would like to PM me that’s would be fine. No danger, I don’t know anybody here to tell anything to, and I don’t keep any fish.
    Last edited by itsahog; 04-27-2019 at 08:05 PM.

2. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    My past experiences with minnows for whites/hybrids/stripers is they don’t care for them. Go fish the fish attractors for crappie, probably be better. If you have the means, catch some shad and fish them live. Good luck!

3. Member
    Get some nightcrawlers to go with the minnows, and drift fish any flats where you mark fish. Dragging crawlers and minnows, you could catch just about anything in the lake.

I wish I'd seen this earlier. If you put in at the west ramp, go straight east to where it chokes down for the chute into the cold side of the lake. You don't have to leave the area the ramp is in- just work the breaklines to the west of the chute from the chute itself, back to the point on the south side of the channel that has a barely visible fish attractor buoy. Lots of saugeye, hybrids and sandies in that area. I caught a bunch of saugeye and hybrids yesterday, but all were caught either in the ramp area or the next warm pool to the NW.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies, we went fishing and she had a great time. We didn’t exactly knock the heck out of them but we did catch a few fish. She was very happy as was I. I like the fact she likes to fish with me, that’s priceless.