Angry 1989 Ranger 375V Restoration! (Boat done.. on to the engine)

Restoring my Ranger that Ive happily owned for about 5-6years. After the first year I owned it, I restored the boat itself. Including paint carpet, upholstery, electronics, pretty much everything and anything to make it look new again.. Now I figured Id give the motor some attention. Its a 1989 Johnson GT150. I recently decided to rebuild the carbs due to some power lag. Figured a rebuild with them would help, probably wasnt necessary (they were very clean). but as I dug deeper i noticed a defect in one of the check valves.. I pulled them off and they werent pretty. Im sure nothing was passing through them.. causing fuel to puddle up back into the reeds casing the dogging before it would take off (knowledge from thread I read). New valves are in.. long story short, one thing led to another and my motor is roughly %80 pulled apart. With warm weather just around the corner, ill be looking to get back on the water. So my questions will pertain to a possible complete rebuild? I bought complete powerhead gasket kit.

1- Is there any quick way to remove old stubborn gaskets?
    2- Is it stupid not to put new pistons and rings in?
    3- any specific components that I should change out since its torn apart?
    4-Any of the new gaskets reccomend gasket sealer.
    5- Cleaning with care?( i want my engine to look new)

Any insight would be great.

2. Member
    A better place to post your question would be the Evinrude/Johnson Forum.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    You need an OMC repair manual(not seloc or clymer) and read it front to back. Every thing you need to get or know is in it. All sealers that are needed are in there as well./answered in the OMC forum,,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!