Helix 10 SI G2 Issue

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I Have a Helix 10 SI G2 on my boat thats less than a year old. I have it wired to the cranking battery with a inline fuse.

Here recenlty everytime i start the motor the unit cuts off. Did a little research and talked to a few people and decided it was a week battery. I Thought
    Well today the day before a tournament, im idling and hit the page button to change screens and the unit cuts off and will not power back on.
    I have have checked the wiring and hooked my other helix up and it works fine.

Anyone ever had something like this happen ?? I will be fishing the big bass tour in a week and I am beyond pissed right now!!!

I will be contacting hummingbird Monday morning.

2. Member
    Mine helix 10 mega would cut off every time I started the motor. WAs not the battery I tried .Had to run a wire from the battery to HB. Ran wires to both ft & rear no problems now cutting off.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

3. Member
    If you put your unit in stand by mode before starting your motor it will not turn off. Otherwise for me it is hit or miss. I have 2 units at the console. If I forget to put them in stand by (sleep mode) before starting the motor then 1 or both units may cut off. Only takes a couple of seconds to do and better than restarting my units which are networked together.

Most likely you have an issue with the power wiring. Set one of the readouts to display the voltage on the unit .... look for low voltage or fluctuating voltage. With good wiring and good battery you should never see below 12V. If your wiring is really good, you will never see below 12.4V
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    Following this one - I have the EXACT same issue. Console turns off when big motor starts, bow graph is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppermushroom View Post
    Following this one - I have the EXACT same issue. Console turns off when big motor starts, bow graph is fine.
    What is your console unit power cord connected to?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Coppermushroom View Post
    You should take the last same suggestion as post #4 as la well as exploring how things are wired as Wayne suggested.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

8. Member
    Like I said i hooked up the bow unit to the console wiring and it works fine. I decided to hook the console unit up to the bow wiring and it work fine. SO its not the unit. Ughh!!!
    I just don't understand LOL. New power cord should be coming in the mail tomorrow, im going to rewire it and hope for the best.

9. Member
    I had the same issue when I first got mine. What I did was ran the wiring straight to my trolling motor battery's and no more problem's. Also I was told that the humminbirds doesn't need a inline fuse. This was the unit on the bow and the one on the console never had problem.
    "2000 Cobra 190DC, 2017 200 ProXs"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Man View Post
    I had the same issue when I first got mine. What I did was ran the wiring straight to my trolling motor battery's and no more problem's. Also I was told that the humminbirds doesn't need a inline fuse. This was the unit on the bow and the one on the console never had problem.
    You where told wrong, you need a fuse on the power cable. Either an in-line or a fuse panel connection in a size that is stated in the installation instructions.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Well I replaced the power cord and wired it to the trolling motor battery and everything is fine so far. Still don't know what the issue really was but im glad its working.

12. Member
    What gauge wiring would you recommend if hooked up directly to the battery? From battery to console is approx. 10 feet, and to front of boat is at least fifteen.
    Thanks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhTrapper View Post
    What gauge wiring would you recommend if hooked up directly to the battery? From battery to console is approx. 10 feet, and to front of boat is at least fifteen.
    Thanks
    10 gauge marine wire.

14. Member
    I had a pair of HB 998s networked together with ethernet. The bow unit was wired to the power block under the bow panel and the console unit to power block under the console using factory wiring and 27 series battery. Worked great for many yrs.

Replaced bow unit with Helix 10 Mega Chirp DI G2N and immediately started to have issues (low voltage warnings, unit recycling, etc). Bought another Helix 10 Mega Chirp SI to replace the 998 at the console BUT ran new 12 gauge wiring from unit to battery with in-line fuse for both units and replaced the battery with 31 AGM. No power issues of any kind since then and it's been almost a year now. Guess the Helix units require more, cleaner power and are more sensitive to borderline power issues.