Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pro XS 4 Stroke Availability

Just wondering if anyone knows the exact reason why these motors are so hard to come by and wont be available til no telling when and was it this hard to get a pro xs 2 stroke when they first came out? From what I've seen you can go buy a brand new boat with a new 4 stroke all day long but if you just want an engine to repower your outta luck for a long time. It almost seems like their more worried about keeping the boat companies supplied rather than divide them evenly which could turn people away from buying one due to not being able to get one for 6 months to a year.

2. Member
    Been waiting since Oct. 2018. New boat sales are getting priority.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Been waiting since October was told dec/Jan. For some reason I think they(dealers) have been getting motors but not telling me. Called other dealers they say they have getting like 1 a month. Getting frustrated. Dont know what to do? Waited this long

4. Member
    Getfished where did you order yours from if I may ask?

5. mikesxpress
    With the shutdown of the Opti's and startup of the 4 strokes they had some production line dead time that dried up the supply. The boat OEMs are going to get engines 1st as that makes the most business/$ sense. Re-powers fall a distant 2nd. Sold my Opti before the bottom fell out and placed my order for a 250 Pro XS 4.6L V8 at **** when ordering opened in May 2018 and got it rigged middle of July. 2 months boat with no motor. It's like it never happened now.

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-01-2019 at 06:56 PM.

6. Member
    Been waiting since summer of 2018. I guess I can get a new motor if I buy a new boat. Yamaha SHO are hard to find also. I have an opportunity to get a SHO. It is 4k more than I paid for the Mercury--AND I do have a rebuilt motor that does ok on the back of my boat now. Would you wait, or would you pay more and get the Yamaha?
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunker56 View Post
    Been waiting since summer of 2018. I guess I can get a new motor if I buy a new boat. Yamaha SHO are hard to find also. I have an opportunity to get a SHO. It is 4k more than I paid for the Mercury--AND I do have a rebuilt motor that does ok on the back of my boat now. Would you wait, or would you pay more and get the Yamaha?

Unfortunately can't justify spending an extra 6-8k just to get an engine a little quicker. I'm sure the Yamaha is a great motor but not 6-8k better than the Mercury in my opinion. I could see 2-3k more but not 6-8k.

8. Member
    I perused the idea of switching to something else. Bottom line for me is that it has to be four stroke. Can't justify a large brand switchover expense. I hate waiting. Been without a boat since October and it's not leaving a good taste in my mouth. I've never been more than 30 days without in 40 years. I'll wait on a Merc but I won't like it. It is just bad timing in my case because if my 2 stroke had not cratered I would still be running it. In the meantime I keep ratholing my stash so the pain won't be so bad when it finally does get here.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    I agree--it is 4k more, but at least I still have a motor that will get me down the lake. So I guess I will wait
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

10. Member
    Ordered mine end of May first part of June 2018 200HP V8 ProXs and its still not here!!!
    2019 Phoenix 721 ProXp
    2019-250 H.P. Mercury ProXs 4 Stroke V8 Serial# 2B531797

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaPhoenix View Post
    It almost seems like their more worried about keeping the boat companies supplied rather than divide them evenly which could turn people away from buying one due to not being able to get one for 6 months to a year.
    Of course they are giving boat manufactures priority. Wouldn't you?

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Of course they are giving boat manufactures priority. Wouldn't you?
    I see what you are saying and agree somewhat but for the people like myself that have a blown powerhead it is really aggravating. A new powerhead is 12 months out since they are not making them at all and for a little bit more I can get a whole new engine which still may take a year to get but will have a much better warranty. I just think that it will turn a lot of people away from mercury due to the ridiculous wait time for people that are in a similar situation as I am. Honestly if I could afford it I would already have new SHO on the back of my boat just for the fact that my dealer can have one in a week or 2 but just can't handle spending an extra 6-8k on a motor right now.

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Did the bottom really fall out? Whats a late model 250 Opti going for these days?
    Go back and look in the motor section from a year ago and compare it to today. The pros with letter boats that have an Opti on a year old boat are taking a beating too. Pricing is just too close not to opt for the four stroke.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Go back and look in the motor section from a year ago and compare it to today. The pros with letter boats that have an Opti on a year old boat are taking a beating too. Pricing is just too close not to opt for the four stroke.
    This is why I got caught up in the waiting line. I'm hoping the new 4 stroke will be a long term solution for me. Just doesn't make sense to go back with another 2 stroke.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    12 month wait on what power head? 250 pro xs ?hope that's not the case as mine might have just went . 9 months old 2 hours on second power and let go. Wanted to go to the 4 stroke but that's not looking promising either.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bustingbass View Post
    12 month wait on what power head? 250 pro xs ?hope that's not the case as mine might have just went . 9 months old 2 hours on second power and let go. Wanted to go to the 4 stroke but that's not looking promising either.
    Yes for a 2 stroke pro xs powerhead is what I was told by my dealer and it only comes with a 1 year warranty.

17. mikesxpress
    If it's one year then it's a rebuilt Opti PH. A new PH is 2 or 3 years. Not sure what the availability of those are now that they stopped production?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    If it's one year then it's a rebuilt Opti PH. A new PH is 2 or 3 years. Not sure what the availability of those are now that they stopped production?
    Nope. Mercury Parts & Accessories Warranty is ONE YEAR on Outboard Powerheads (New OR Reman).

Major Assembly Coverage can be purchased to extend that for an additional cost (and must be purchased at the time of Retail Sale/Purchase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Nope. Mercury Parts & Accessories Warranty is ONE YEAR on Outboard Powerheads (New OR Reman).

Major Assembly Coverage can be purchased to extend that for an additional cost (and must be purchased at the time of Retail Sale/Purchase).
    Hummm?
    I bought a new power head for a 200 efi years back and opted for new vs reman as I got 2 years warranty on the new one vs 1 year on the reman. I just pulled the paperwork out.

20. Member
    This will be my 3rd repower on my 04 and I think I'm just as important as a guy buying a new boat. They have boats sitting out there for months with brand new 200's not being sold. I'm w as waiting on pricing for new Gambler. If I'm not pleased with the price I will repower with a new Susuki and I'll be done with Mecury forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast