Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caring For An Aging Dog

My best friend, Jack (he's the good looking fella in the picture to your left), is having his 15th birthday next week. The veterinarian tells me that's the equivalent of a 90 year old human. Really put it into perspective. Every day I see a little less of the rambunctious Scottie pup that used to run full speed through the house for no know reason and terrorize every squirrel that ventured into his domain.

Now, he spends most of his time sleeping, either in front of the glass storm door or in his favorite chair, my wife's leather recliner that he claimed as his own many years ago. Only nowadays, he has great difficultly jumping up in it. Every effort I've made to give him some sort of steps or platform to help him get up there has been met with him going around it or trying to jump over it.

He is I would say 95% deaf...only hears the loudest or highest pitch noise. I get his attention either with a hand clap or what I call, "pooch pooch"...a sort of sucking kissing sound. He follows me everywhere I go in the house but insists on getting in front, and then walking as sloooow as he can and stopping to look back to make sure I'm still back there. Although, he has cataracts and the doc says he probably isn't seeing too well, he can still catch a treat most of the time...so that ain't too bad.

I tried taking him fishing with me a couple of times but he was no fan of the boat. He was okay until the big motor fired up and then he was heading to the exit door.

Back in the summer of 2017 we had a scare that he may have liver cancer but it turned out to be gall bladder stones that were throwing his liver enzymes test off the chart. I've had him on three different medications for that since then. It hasn't got any better but no worse either. If he were younger, we would have had the gall bladder removed.

Right now, I'm trying to think of ways to make his life a little more comfortable. I'm trying to decide what to do about grooming. I have always had him groomed about every six weeks but lately it seems like it really tires him out. I just feel it's getting too stressful for a dog his age. I could get away with bathing him myself but he is way too hardheaded to stand still for me to brush him out. I don't mind letting him go shaggy, I just don't want him to get matted.

Although, he seems to be aging rapidly, he still is eating, reluctantly in the morning but chows down for the evening meal, I worry about him constantly...I feel like I'm on a daily death watch. Every morning and even sometimes through out the night and as soon as I get home from work...I'm constantly checking on him. I told his vet that I wasn't sure if I didn't need a psychiatrist more than I needed a veterinarian. She said that when they get to this age, they don't usually die suddenly, they more likely go into a slow decline to where it gets down to having to make a quality of life decision. Puts a tear in eye to even consider it.

As I age and think back on Jack's fleeting life with me, it gives me a little better appreciation of life and just how fast it all happens when all you're paying attention to just getting through to the next day. It make one think about how precious each day is and that you only get a few chances to tell the people...and dogs you love just how much you do love them.

IMG_0042.JPG Optimized-IMG_2242.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Man, I don't envy your situation. They become valued members of the family.

About all you can do is continue to look after his needs and care for him the best you can.

Good looking pup by the way.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

I went through this a few years ago. When the time comes you will know what you need to do. And it's really hard, but know that it is for the best. I thought of the situation as to whats best for my friend vs whats best for me and my feelings.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    Been there as well. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. We lost a Bichone two years ago this past Tuesday to a predator. Not a single day goes by that I don't think of her.

Stupid dogs! <sniff, sniff>

-b-

I lost my 16 year old cat this past Tuesday. I know exactly your feelings. I'm thankful your friend is still around. He will be in my prayers tonight

I’m going through the same type of thing. My dog will be 16 in June. She sleeps all day, then gets her laps around the house at midnight. She craps on the floor about 2 minutes after she’s been outside. She has some kind of tumors growing on her, vet says it’s more than likely some type of cancer. She moves slow and stiff. But she doesn’t whine or cry in pain at all. My wife and I already had the talk that once she shows discomfort it will be time to let her go. Not fair to the dog to keep her drugged up and not living the best life.
    As tough as it is to see her grow old, I am glad for the years we had.

7. Member
    Me and my wife are in your same exact situation almost word for word with our Jack Russell. We have to help him up on the couch as well as the steps. He will walk around a tennis ball and only wakes up to go outside for bathroom. My wife sat on the couch and balled this weekend realizing the time is getting close. I feel and understand what you are going through and my thoughts are with you as we will have to make "the decision" soon enough.

I feel for you have been there done that!

Most of our animals have went to sleep peaceably. Our last German Sheppard got some kind of mouth/cheek cancer when she was 10. She had the operation but unfortunately they thought they did but weren't able to get it all and it returned.

Six months later her quality of life suffered and we could tell she was in pain. We decided to have her well you know.

We talked with the vet and made arrangements to have him come here. First and last time I ever want to have to do that and hope and pray I never have to do that again. 12 years since that day and for some reason its just not the same when they are able to go on their own so to speak.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

9. Member
    As said above just care the best you can but you will know when he is in pain and it is terrible to have to put a family member down. Been there many times and say I am not getting another but one always finds me. Memories of the others stay with me though.
    Praying for a Cure

10. Member
    Sounds to me like you doing a very good job of caring for Jack, I've been down the same path you are on 3 times in the last 40 years, just do the best job of caring you can do.

A dose of aspirin(google the correct dosage for your dogs weight) a couple of times a day will help the aches and pains as will a heating pad or an electric blanket. Switching to soft food will also help with quality of life( easier to eat and digest). A step to got into his favorite chair. A few simple little things goes a long way and these were some of what I did for my old lab. I'm not saying that doing any of this extended his life but it did make the final months easier on him. Willie let us know when it was time to go. I feel your pain but it to shall pass. There is no replacing of a dog as they are all unique, just new dogs to enjoy and love.

Willie on his last camping trip.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

Lots of love and attention. Make his last days the best. Pet him and talk to him a lot.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

13. Member
    Jack's a handsome pup and sorry you both are having to deal with this. He's here now.....so keep showering extra love and attention his way.

14. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Jack will tell you when it's time...

Until then, enjoy each other's company as you've been doing... It's obvious there's been a lot of love over the past 15 years.
    Who controls John Gill?

you will know, and he will look into your eyes and acknowledge his gratitude for what you have and are doing for him, never easy, but at some point it becomes more about our wishes than what they need, when the quality of life slips away don't think you're doing him any favor by letting him suffering needlessly, Jack and your family will be in our prayers

16. Member
    We get very attached to our dogs and the sad part is they don't live nearly as long as we would like for them to. Enjoy the time you have with him.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

Man, that's the hardest thing ever. My 3rd time is coming up. Just make them comfortable, and make the right decision at the right time. Time afterwards will help the pain, and a new little guy to love. So sorry

18. Member
    I've been down that road several times myself. I had a cocker spaniel that was my best buddy for 13 years. He went into kidney failure and kind of withdrew from everyone. He wanted outside and would go to the farthest end of our fenced yard and just lay down. I was with him when the vet put him down - even the nurses in the office who had come to know him over the years cried. For over a year I could not even look at a picture of him without tearing up.

My current dog - a beagle mix that I got during my divorce that helped me through some really difficult times is turning 10 and has some health issues. She had lyme disease a couple of years ago that we thought was going to take her. She recovered from that but is now diabetic and pretty much totally blind. I give her two insulin injections a day and don't move the furniture around too much. She is happy, her tail is always wagging, and she'll still have an occasional wrestling match with our cat so we just try to make her comfortable and keep her in her routine. I will lay down with her on the couch or the floor and pet her and talk to her so she knows I'm there. The most difficult thing is if we have to leave her for any period of time but thankfully we have a very well qualified pet sitter who comes to check in on her.
    FB_IMG_1547644537363.jpg

As long as your dog is eating and enjoying simple things like sleeping in the chair just enjoy the time you have. As others have said, you will know when it's time.
    Last edited by Thomasj; 04-26-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

19. Member
    I get a bit choked up reading about Jack. We just had to take one of ours for his final ride one week ago today.

Keep on lovin' the ol' boy just like you are and spoil the hell out of him for the time he has left. I was never big on human food, but I did buy Woody some moist canned food when he wasn't as interested in his regular kibble food. I think Jack would appreciate it. The loaf type isn't as rich as the chunks of meat with gravy type. Hang out with him as much as you can, take him in the car with you whenever you can and let him sleep in bed with you at night. Do everything you can to keep him comfortable and warm too.

A dogs life is too short. It hurts like hell to see them like this and hurts even more when they are gone. You can never replace one when they are gone but you can sure fill the void with a new little energetic pup at some point.

Hang in there Jack! You've got a damn good dad to take care of you! My best to both of you. Enjoy all the rest of your time together.

20. Member
    Man, this is sad. I know you will make your pet's remaining time as comfortable as possible. We have a 4 year old mini schnauzer named Master Shifu. We call him Shifu but we also call him muffy or muffus. Since we are raising our grandson we thought he should have a dog so we got one. I didn't want to choose between denying my grandson a loving pet or allowing it and then having to deal with end of life issues at a later date. I know under normal circumstances I still have several years before having to deal with it but I ain't looking forward to it.
    GETFISHED !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast