New boater questuon

I bought my first boat and looking to take it out for the first time next week. I'll be going to Lake monroe. My question is, is the a specific boat ramp that would be easier for a beginner? Also any tips for the lake in general?

2. Member
    Right now the lake is up 12’ so nothing will be easy. My suggestion would be Paynetown because it is wide and still useable. You won’t be able to use the docks so you’ll have to beach your boat on the shore or ramp to get your partner in and out. Good luck and be careful.

With it being flooded right now and your first time I'd use Moores creek. Paynetown is a pain when its flooded, slope is too gradual, hard to float it off. High water ramp at cutright isn't terrible, drops off fast, easy to unload but not as easy to load up when you're done.
    My suggestion fishing wise is to get as shallow as you can and throw top water or a spinnerbait. So much flooded cover right now that flipping plastics can be very time consuming and tedious, tons of targets.

4. Member
    Listen to Skeeterator...Fairfax is easy too. Watch for floating debris with the big rain yesterday.

5. Member
    Type of boat and motor? Do you have a DNR Launch permit?

6. Member
    97 ranger 488vs with a 200 mercury. And yes I do have a dnr launch permit

7. Member
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Sounds like the high water makes things harder.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’ll also suggest you try around 11 or 12 o’clock to cut down on the line at the ramp since it isn’t warm enough for skiers yet. Most experienced boaters would be happy to help, so ask if you have questions or problems.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I'll be out there during the week. I took the week off so hopefully during the week it won't be as crowded. Don't want to slow anyone else down while I'm fumbling around.

10. Member
    The park put a high water dock in at Paynetown last Sunday, it was not bad launching and there is a dock. Loading was harder for me than launching, make sure boat is lined up with trailer when loading!.

Just remember that backing a trailer up isn't hard, just don't over correct. Small turns, go slow, get too far out of line pull up and straighten out.
    Check the plug is in of course.

If fishing by yourself, you may end up getting your feet wet depending on the ramps, so bring a extra pair or some hip boots.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere