Thread: repower

repower

I am thinking of repowering my 2013 Triton 21HP with a Suzuki 250ss. What kind of speeds can I expect? I know that is a subjective question but looking for averages just myself and with 2 people. I am looking for something that is going to last more than 460 hours. What kind of prop would be a good starting point? I could run 74-75 with the Pro XS with a 25p Fury 3 blade.

2. Member
    Well the right prop and setup the SS is probably 1 or 2 mph slower, but they have a lot of torque midrange. I repowered a procraft 210 super pro. I have an atlas jack, 28 pitch 4 blade zuke prop and I can run 70 to 71 with guys and gear. I could stand a little more pitch to get a few more mph, but I don't want to go faster. It jumpss out of the hole pretty fast and the midrange is great where I am setup. For comparison my rig might hit 70 on a cold day when I had a 225 opti. It was mostly about a 68 mph boat.

3. Member
    Getting a 250SS propped right is the most frustrating part of owning this outboard. I recommend a 27P or 28P and if you are lucky, you can possibly get 73 MPH. I've asked Chad Pipkens and Brandon Card who run Suzuki's on Bass Cats and their top speeds are around 73/74 with tourney loads and they both run 27/28P props based on the season & humidity levels. The older Suzuki Turbo OT4 style prop that Bubba is selling is the prop to get since it was used on a lot of the older boat tests you see listed on Suzuki's website. The Turbo style is an aggressive prop which has taller rakes and a smaller barrel.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    Would a Mercury Bravo work well?

5. Member
    I believe that a Mercury Bravo would work as well, but I have no experience with running it. I tried running a Fury 27P and had mixed results. Great hole shot, but poor bow lift and top end. Granted, I purchased this prop used and probably needed work since I was to max out the rpms and not get the bow lift nor top end speed.

6. Member
    I just don't want to make a decision that I will regret. My Mercury dealer has recently started carrying Suzukis, so i am not afraid of dealer support. I just want something dependable that isn't going to be a dog in performance. Do you guys have any regrets of repowering with Suzuki?

7. Member
    I am running a Suzuki 150SS on my Gambler outlaw and I love the motor. I have had it since 2015 and it is fantastic.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

8. Member
    She's no dog at all. Like I said, you might... Might loose 1 or 2 mph. But the midrange pull will make up for it. It's been dependable for me for sure.

9. Member
    I don't regret repowering with Suzuki since I wanted a 4 stroke at the time and something reliable with a good warranty. Even with the release of the new Mercury Pro XS V8, I still don't regret it. The only time I personally run my boat wide open will be in the morning during a tournament launch. After that, I run only 55 or so when running between spots and to conserve fuel.

10. Member
    I have a 250ss on my triton tr21x3 and love the motor. The 28p suzuki prop i run is a little too stiff, will be getting a 26p Powertech RKR4 this week. I can only run about 65mph with the prop now vs 72 mph when i had my 250 pro xs and 25p fury 4 prop. You wont regret going with the suzuki.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird