Ranger 361 setup

I took my ranger out for a ride today to test a new 25p temptest plus. Got the jack plate set at 3.5 below pad and motor is a early 90s 150 xr4 with a 175 power head. I hit 63.8 @5600 and barely had it trimmed up at all. The waves and wind kept me from really pushing the limits. My question to you is does this sound about right? Also I have all the plugs on the prop out and I’m getting what seems a lot of blow out because of it at holeshot. I’ll get to just about plane and it jumps up around 1500 rpms and then drops down on plane and off she goes like a banshee. Any recommendations on how many plugs to put in? Full plug or tiny hole plugs? Holeshot takes around 3 secs from a complete stop. One more thing any tips on how to help the countersteer? It’s got dual cable steering but man do I have crank the wheel to keep straight. Thanks for advice

2. Member
    Put three large plugs in it. Counter steer could be from having the motor too high or too low so try raising or lowering 1/4". It could be from not being able to trim it out since that leaves a lot of motor in the water too.

3. Member
    The trim seemed to jump me around 2mph each time I hit it up a tap so if anything you think dropping it 1/4 inch would be best place to start after the plugs are in?

4. Member
    If you drop it you should be able to trim higher but at 3.5" you should be able to trim it all the way up. Mercury makes a set of scopes for the water intakes that will get your water pressure up if needed. That blow out you have occurs on some setups and you have to learn how to pedal the throttle as it gets on plane.

5. Banned
    I wouldn't call jumping up to 1500 blowing out.

6. Member
    Put the plugs in and try it for take off before doing anything else. Just do one thing at a time or you won't know which one helps or hurts.

One large plug most likely, Should flash to about 3500 as the bow lifts, just as bow starts to drop lift just a little and roll back into it while trimming up, will feel like a automatic trans slipping on the one to two shift and hooking back up. More plugs will kill the 3500 flash rpm increasing hole shot time. If this does not work as I described you need the prop worked on!

Install a torque tab on the skeg, do not use rivets, drill and tap the holes for a 8-32 machine screw (brass countersink type) sand or grind the paint off the skeg first and aply marine tex or jb weld between the two surfaces. Shape, blend and repaint with a high quality black high adhesion primer
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-04-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh