Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    So out of curiosity any round about cost for a 1100 sq ft ranch style home. Nothing fancy just normal ole shingles.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So out of curiosity any round about cost for a 1100 sq ft ranch style home. Nothing fancy just normal ole shingles.
    There are a whole lot of variables in that, underlayment, ice shield, replacement of soft wood underneath....

There was about an 7k difference in the 5 quotes I got when I redid my roof 2 years ago. From 21k to 28k for a 47 square roof. Best to get a few different quotes, don't just go with cheapest look at the job and materials they will use. We ended up skipping the lowest and 2nd lowest because of materials used.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    I wanted the best shingles I could get. My home (ranch style) is a little over 1500 square feet plus attached garage and a utility shed. I think it was just a little over 12K. My roof wood was in good shape and required no repairs.

They brought in a crew of 7-8 guys and did it in one day.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    I wanted the best shingles I could get. My home (ranch style) is a little over 1500 square feet plus attached garage and a utility shed. I think it was just a little over 12K. My roof wood was in good shape and required no repairs.

They brought in a crew of 7-8 guys and did it in one day.
    So that was replacing the roof on your house, garage, and shed ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So that was replacing the roof on your house, garage, and shed ?
    Yes and putting on new roof vents.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    Yes and putting on new roof vents.
    Okay perfect that gives me a rough idea. Of course my house needs everything all at the same time. It could also use a new AC unit and better insulation LOL It just never ends. Sometimes I think its just better to rent and let them take care of the maintenance.

I wonder what the chances are of getting insurance to cover it.

7. Member
    Here’s the best advice you’ll get, ().

Strip off the old shingles, replace it with a new metal roof that has the insulation moisture barrier between the metal & the roof decking.
    Sheds water & snow much better, cheaper home owners insurance, and lasts a lifetime.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Here’s the best advice you’ll get, ().

Strip off the old shingles, replace it with a new metal roof that has the insulation moisture barrier between the metal & the roof decking.
    Sheds water & snow much better, cheaper home owners insurance, and lasts a lifetime.
    Im definitely not against metal... But of course all depends on the $$

I was a licensed roofing contractor in California for 35 years before i retired. Did many recovers as per homeowners request. Only went back on one of them and had to redo it. It was one of the first roofs i did when i started my business and he called me 30 years later for another. We did remove the 2 layers at that time. Do your due diligence and look over the manufactures warranty specs if you decide to roof over the existing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123