Guitar help----I want to buy one for my wife.

Hi All,

I am considering buying my wife another guitar for her birthday next month. I have very little knowledge in anything music related so I thought I would reach out for help. My wife has been taking lessons for a little over the year and with her musical background (pretty accomplished trumpet player in high school) she has really excelled in picking it up and really wants to do some open mics. We purchased a decent Yamaha acoustic from Guitar center and it sound great but she has been hinting around at maybe getting another one. We went to check some out and there wasnt much that caught her eye under 2K. The problem is that she is typically drawn to "shiny things" and would like one that's not the typical tan/brown tones and different from what she already has. So I went searching and thought this one would fit her "personality" well https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...gal-to-natural .

So I am asking what do you think about this guitar? Would I want to get a super shallow body? Any recommendations?

2. Member
    I’m sure no pro but know enough to be dangerous!
    Heres my thoughts: One with a shallow body I don’t think will give you a lot of sound volume unless it with a amp. This can be good if she’s just setting around plucking on it. So you’ll have to make a judgement on that. Buying an “ inexpensive “ guitar is fine in itself, there’s some pretty good ones out there I’ve seen and heard but keep in mind if or when you get ready to sell it or trade up they don’t bring much of your money back. There’s thousands of them out there. Whereas a name brand,even a good used one will better hold its value or increase in value. Also the “better” one are much easier to play.
    This did not cost you anything so that maybe all it’s worth!
    Good Luck!
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

3. Member
    What kind of music does she like to play? Would she want another acoustic or an electric to complement what she already has? You can get an American Strat or Tele for $1k. I've never played anything close to the guitar you posted so I have no opinion on it.

4. Member
    She plays jazz/pop/country pretty much anything. She really didn't want to venture into the electric world yet but does have an amp. I was guessing that guitars are probably like rods in that each person has their preference. I would prefer for her to play one first but it seems like the selections are limited in the stores around.

Is the statement that the more expensive ones are easier to play? When we went to Guitar center the other day I handed her guitars without showing her price and it did appear that way.

5. Member
    Look for a used Takamine Santa Fe.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdland View Post
    Look for a used Takamine Santa Fe.
    This, great guitar, awesome tone

7. Member
    Thanks everyone. We went back to the guitar store and she was blindly playing different guitars and as you suggested she would not put down the Takamine.

8. Member
    Buy a Martin... period. You will not be disappointed. Check the local craigslist adds, usually people that buy these guitars do not abuse them. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

9. Member
    I have a Custom Shop Martin and a Gibson J-45. When I go out and play I always take the J-45. I probably picked up, looked at and played over a hundred guitars before picking the one I have. The first time I picked it up and played it I knew it was the one. I'm not a fan of Ovation guitars. Not saying they aren't nice but the ones I have tried to play I could never get comfortable with. It may have to do with the rounded back that just doesn't feel like the other guitars I'm used to playing. Lot's of good guitars out there. Just keep looking and playing until the right one shows up.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edziu23 View Post
    Thanks everyone. We went back to the guitar store and she was blindly playing different guitars and as you suggested she would not put down the Takamine.
    I'm assuming she got the Takamine?
    IMO Guitars are like cars, theres One for everybody but Not One for All. Preference on Tone... Preference on Action( distance between strings and fretboard) Preference on Looks!! Those 3 are everything. Top Brands have less expensive and more expensive to cater to customers and that's a big selling point! Woods are very important in conveying sustain, tone and resonance! Something that stays in tune for more than a few songs is HUGE. With that said you get what you pay for!!!! Don't buy a cheap guitar unless you want a cheap sound. Been playing for 20 years on big stages and if you're gonna play guitar...play Quality!!
    Acoustic--- Martin, Taylor, Old Gibson, Takamine, Breedlove and Alvarez are some good ones!!
    Electric---- Fender, Gibson, PRS and G&L's are some solid ones!
    With Electric your amp is Very Important..Very important!!!!!
    Good Luck and bend some strings like you mean it!!

11. Member
    Yes she would not leave without it. She played a bunch of guitars (basically anything in the expensive room ) up to the $4500 Taylors and she kept comparing them to the Takamine. As someone mentioned she also really didnt like the feel of the Ovation due to the rounded back. To accompany the guitar she wanted to learn how to play fingerstyle so we picked up some books and a very good DVD set. Needless to say her fingers are sore (I am comparing this to bass thumb for me ) but she is all smiles

Get what YOU (She) feel is comfortable to you. Both is body and fretboard. You have to hold or hang it against your body and that needs to be comfortable to YOU. Then you have to "Finger" it !! the fretboard has to have the strings far enough apart so you don't "Buzz" the strings, yet not too wide to grip in your hand. The Neck thickness also comes into play. All in all, Comfort and ease of play, and SOUND all play a role in buying a "Good" Guitar. Don't forget the Strings, they play a big part in both sound and ease of playing too. I've used D'Angelico's for over 40 yrs !! (They also make a great Guitar) I've had a Martin D-28 that I bought in a Pawn Shop for $200 in 1965 that is now worth about $8,000. I had a new one on order at the time and they were 10 months behind then. It's got a BIG sound and fit me to a T. I did have it "Fretted" (adjust the height of the frets) and "Balanced" ( shaving of the bracing for the Harmonics ) by Julius Guideo, a master string instrument builder from Guitars to Lutes ! I don't play as much as I used to, but it only gets better with age. I'm not familiar with the Takamine, and it doesn't really matter. What matters is SHE is !! Good luck and good Pickin' !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Member
    Take her to a local music store and let HER decide what she wants, then you pay. Or get her a gift card for the local store.

14. Member
    I've played for over 50 years (not the best player but I play) and have owned several guitars and mandolins in that time. I've had some high end Martin's and some of the lowest of the low ends. Guitars are much like people in that you can't judge a book by the cover. You have to play them and be ready to not care about the name on it or the cost. Right now my favorite guitar is one that cost under $1000. My mandolin is much MUCH more expensive but it was the best for me of the ones I played and tried out. She will love her guitar if the frets and strings fit her style and the tone is ok. Bottom line is she needs to have a smile on her face when she plays it.

15. Member
    If she is interested in fingerstyle have a look see at Gabrielle Quevado on You Tube!